About to join y'all in this hobby...

BryCola

Welcome to the forum! You've gotten lots of great advice already :D

Hey tithra...I was watching youtube videos about cycling a tank, and had watched two before I realized they were made by you! :) Very good information, and awesome looking goldfish. I would LOVE to find some fish that look like Edie and Puff. I'm still learning about the different types of goldfish...Edie and Puff are both Orandas, right? And the way to tell is because they both have wens?

I'm going back and forth about whether I should cycle with ammonia or fish food. I looked in the grocery store today for ammonia, but they had two brands, and both foamed up heavily when I shook them. So I'm wondering if I will even be able to find ammonia without scents and detergents. I'll look at Walmart, Target, dollar store, etc. also.

Welcome to the forum! You've gotten lots of great advice already

Hey tithra...I was watching youtube videos about cycling a tank, and had watched two before I realized they were made by you! Very good information, and awesome looking goldfish. I would LOVE to find some fish that look like Edie and Puff. I'm still learning about the different types of goldfish...Edie and Puff are both Orandas, right? And the way to tell is because they both have wens?

I'm going back and forth about whether I should cycle with ammonia or fish food. I looked in the grocery store today for ammonia, but they had two brands, and both foamed up heavily when I shook them. So I'm wondering if I will even be able to find ammonia without scents and detergents. I'll look at Walmart, Target, dollar store, etc. also.

Thank you! :) yes, Edie and puff are orandas :) you can distinguish orandas from other wenned fish like ranchu because they have both a wen and a dorsal fin (whereas ranchu and lion heads do not have a dorsal fin)

I would push for the liquid ammonia personally. It can be done with fish food but it is more difficult to know exactly how much ammonia you're adding and rotting food in the tank comes with its own set of possible issues. Try hardware stores. This is usually the best place to find pure ammonia :)

^ I second Tithra's advice with the liquid ammonia. If you have a Walmart near by check for a brand called GOLDEX it's pure, no additives, doesn't have a colour and doesn't foam when shaken. I used it in my tank with no problem :)

Thanks so much! I do have a Walmart nearby...don't we all? :) I will look for that brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Topic died a little but wanted to chime in as a male fancy goldfish owner ;) I sort of fell into it by accident when rescuing a fish, but have purchased 3 of my own since. They're just so very cute. My girlfriend at the time had no interest at all - i think it's more of an animal lover thing than gender.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy your new tank and fish when you find them.

:rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2