Sign in to follow this  
OBIO

10 gallon Betta and Oto tank

Here's the video of our newest tank set up....a 10 gallon tank housing our male red Dragon Scale Betta, 6 Otocinclus catfish and 1 Horned Zebra Nerite snail. Filtration is via 2 Whisper i3 bubble powered filters, which have been augmented with Bio-Max biological media. A new T-8 Floramax light bulb to help the Water Lettuce grow big and healthy.

Tim

That looks real cute! Your betta is sure spunky--and gorgeous. :) Hope it works out for you and they all get along. ;)

Hi, that looks really nice! I am concerned about 6 otos and a betta in a 10 gallon. Even though they are low waste producing fish, the footprint of a 10 gallon tank for 6 schooling otos is a bit small. Snails produce a lot of waste as well. The tank is really too small for all these fish plus the snail.

Is it possible for you to upgrade to a 15 or 20 gallon tank? It would really make a bit difference. Taking the otos back to the store would work too, a snail and a betta could be in a 10 gallon quite well.

Also when those floating plants grow out you will want to remove them. Floating plants aren't great for betta tanks as bettas need a lot of surface area to come up for air :)

Just my :twocents

Edited by GreenTea

Some amazon swords would be perfect plants and give your betta more cover/a place to rest. Bettas like dense foliage and places to rest.

Edited by GreenTea

thanks for the info GT,

the six otos are just temp. til they grow out some, they are to be kept in groups "no less than 3"..........so 3 will be going to another tank in the future............as for the water lettuce, We will only be keeping a few in there, will be thinning the surface area out but like the roots !!

we will watching that Darco can get to the surface for air................... :D

Edited by Sharkbait3

Sounds good Sharkbait! If you see a 15 or 20 gallon at the goodwill or on sale, snatch it up! It would still be better for even 3 to have a larger tank.

Draco looks very happy in there. I like the roots of the floating plants hanging down. I'm beginning to think that my new plaket Perry would like a larger tank. He swims much more than my other betta who had more finnage.

mj

although very pretty, I think the shorter tail bettas. like plakats are more active..........but man those half moons............gorgeous !!!

Sharkbait is this your betta or your husbands betta? I know we talked a lot about your set up but I havent seen a thread you've made with photos or anything. Did I just miss it? I wasn't on the board much the last week or two so apparently I'm making up for it now :lol

I'd love to see photos or a vid of your betta if this isn't it sharky. If this is it, good job!

although very pretty, I think the shorter tail bettas. like plakats are more active..........but man those half moons............gorgeous !!!

*Until they tail bite lol!

Some breeders are doing research into whether tail biting is partly biological too, like with nervous dogs or other animals. I know lots of breeders throw their stunning males into the spawn tanks right after a tail biting because it's the prime time for them to get ripped up even more, and keep the bettas who don't tail bite for shows. Some are realizing that perhaps by breeding chronic tail biters they are producing more tail biters long term. It's an interesting idea that a few in the community are testing out and keeping an eye on.

Draco is my betta.............lol................I set him up in a 5 gal, decorated it myself................I believe the video is under Draco's New Digs..........Tim did the vid. and talking for me....................lol...........then we upgraded to a 10 gal........that's where the confusion comes in I'm sure...............but so far so good................. :clapping:

I hear that GT,.................Gem was beautiful and had a gorgeous tail.....Double tail, half moon but he bit his own tail (to shreds) I'm afraid...sadly he passed away............I woke up one am and he was gone !!...... :no:

Nice job, Tim & Deb! :)

Very nice set up. Good luck with the otos I have never had any luck keeping those cute guys alive.

I would look into a few more live plants but not a sword it would way outgrow that tank. Stuff that stays small or easy to trim would be great. I think with a few more your plants your stocking would be just fine. Maybe some crypts or some sort of stem plants. You can trim them and replant.

Good luck

thanks all,

gave the oto's some hiding places, was reading that they like them to feel secure~~~~they seem HAPPY so far, !