Sign in to follow this  
number20121

Just fed Soilent Green for the first time

I finally got around to making my first small batch from the sample Alex sent me, and it was quite a success. I have literally fed it in every tank I have. This is just a quick overview the experience I just had with it, I'll write a big review some time later after a few days of using this product.

All the fish loved it. Not necessarily much more than the usual gel food I make, but that might be because my gel food smells JUST LIKE the soilent green. How sad is that LOL

Anyway. I made three pieces of ceramic tile and poured some on it, let it settle and fed it. One piece went in my tropical community tank, one piece in the tropical QT tank and one piece in with Hugo's offspring.

Everyone likes it a lot. The bloodfin tetras and corydoras were having a ball at their feeding station within 30 seconds. Fed a couple cubes directly for the angel and he too devoured it.

The betta loves it, and so do the frogs :D

The remaining goldfish got theirs cubed and love it. I see only slight floating after feeding in my floater tank. Significantly less than after feeding pellets. Meaning none of them is stuck to the surface (yet, because you never know) but are still staying mostly at mid level. Wakka is the only one who is doing surface gobbling (as always), and Vanille only a little bit.

Banana and Bullet love theirs too, although I have to cut the cubes a bit smaller. Bullet had problems with the size of the gel food.

I have mixed probiotics in, so over time this might help a bit with the floating :)

Looking forward to your full review ;)

I'm excited about giving this stuff a try soon :)

Thanks for sharing :)

Glad it was a hit :D It smelled very similar to the stuff I used to make too. Maybe it's all the spirulina (that is some stinky stuff)? I hope it helps with your floaters, it's been a God-send for OJ. I even switched my discus over to the Repashy Meat Pie and they absolutely love it. Good luck!

Yay! I'm so glad the first try is a success! :)

Small update!

They just had their soilent green dinners, and really not much floating at all in the floater tank. That's great! Overall less surface gobbling too, as Hugo used to do that like crazy, but barely now.

Vanille is slightly floating, but without flipping at the surface. That's a big improvement.

The tiny tots cleaned their tile of food within an hour, and - as expected - the same happened in the community tank. I assume Mr. Pleco came across it, and it takes a 9" pleco probably approximately seven minutes to clean off all the food on there :rofl

So far I am very satisfied with it. The sample probably makes about 2 cups of finished gel, and I made half of it so far. I already told Steven that if they keep doing so well on it, I will have to buy this :D Maybe I'll buy a different variety along with it to switch it up. Everyone talks about the meat pie, and I can not see any of my fish NOT like a meatier version.

I love how easy this stuff is to make, and how nicely and quickly it settles. It is very easy to cut and makes clean little cubes. I'll still feed veggies in addition to it, as well as frozen food, because I think variety is a good thing, but I think this Soilent Green might become the new staple food. :D

I really like it a lot. Since I've been feeding I've already noticed that my fish seem more lively and healthy; although my fantail is actually LOSING color oddly enough. If I can afford it, I'll probably switch to it completely once I run out of my current bottle of pellets. Soilent green seems most popular, so I'll most likely get a lot of it, along with some community plus to try with my tropicals. It's great food, and I really hope that the concept catches on. I want to see what NLS, Goldfish Connection, or Hikari can do with premix gels.

I'm hoping mine shows up tomorrow! Ordered last weekend. Can't wait to feed to Boog & Clementine. Neither float, but Clementine gulps at the surface after eating.

I am still loving it!! All of my fish (GF and bettas and even my neighbor's guppies) along with my snails just love it!

Glad to hear it's working fairly well with your floaters. One of my fish tends to float if he eats too much but that hasn't been an issue with the soilent green. :)

I finally made mine yesterday! I had bought the little 2oz size and I was hesitant to do so because I was afraid it would smell too bad but finally gave in when my fantail was once again constipated and sitting on the bottom of the tank on and off even though I have been feeding him alot of peas with his progold, before that he was stuck at the top so I decided it was time :)

It actually didn't smell too bad, nothing like was described, having had horses in the past, my daughter and I think it smells like alfalfa, not really a bad smell, (of course I don't know how its possible but she actually likes the smell of fish food either way :wacko: ).

So far so good! It made a ton of food for the two of them, I could probably cut the recipe in half and get a couple months worth out of that little package, we'll see. I was surprised how fast it set up too and the first time I think I dropped in too much as it took them 10 minutes to eat it. Anyone have a rule of thumb on this? This morning I only dropped in about 4 or 5 little cubes at a time because my fantail is a pig and leaves nothing for my oranda, this way she got about as much as him.

Also, my dog sits on the floor sure I'm going to give her some too, she must smell that seafood!

I know its not for human consumption lol as the pkg says but can normal kitchen utensils be used?

Also, I wouldn't be sad if my fantail lost some color, he has started turning alot of gold/yellow in places where he was white before.

Edited by cmclien