Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Very strange little round bulbs stuck to my filter intake

As I was walking out the door, I noticed some very weird little bulbs on my filter intakes. They were cloudy white but transparent, and about the size of a larger chickpea or hazelnut... Anyways, I was wondering what these could be? There is no way that La, Vonnegut, or Rowling are old enough to produce eggs. Could it be a bugs eggs or something? I don't have a picture yet but I will when I get back home. I'm at the library :3 I have no idea what could be in the water. I do know I am going to do a 100% water change tonight. Those things were creepy and gross....

did you add any new plants to the tank by chance?

Maybe like a week ago, but they were from my 20 gallon. But it has been sitting uncovered for a while but I haven't noticed anything in there either. I added 2 java ferns and two unnamed aquatic ferns. My microsword that was also in the 20 was also added at the very beginning of the set up. I took out all of the bamboo and put it in the filter, and added a tori gate decoration which was scrubbed with soap and water. I also changed most of the water like 5-7 days ago and didn't notice anything that shouldn't have been in there.

Edited by LovelyChaos

They look similar to that... But how can that be? It is dry here and they would have had to make it up to a second story and into my tank. I will check over my tank to see if there is a little bugger in there!

Yeah, I was kinda thinking snail eggs, but from your description it sounds like they might be a little too large to be snails. I look forward to seeing some pics! :D

We had some snails that sound pretty similar to that. Hopefully those things are still where you left them, so that we can see!

huh, I have no idea! are they mucusy in texture or fuzzy at all?

They appear to be mucousy. I haven't touched it. I don't much want to touch it o_0 They will be washed out pretty soon. They appeared maybe overnight, or this afternoon.

That's weird! I've never seen anything even remotely like that before. If I were you, I'd take them out and put them in a container of water (far away from the fish tank, lol!) to see if anything happens to them, or if they hatch or something...

They are like, casings! They are flimsy somewhat thin, and slimey. There is nothing inside of them... I was thinking they could be pea casings? But they are so big! Can water have made the pea casings even bigger? My fish only eat the insides of the peas.

Oh that's interesting. Do you put the entire pea in the water without shelling them first? If so, then perhaps they could be pea casings. Did you feed them peas recently?

I broke each pea in half. They were canned peas so I didn't really have much casing to work with, but i feed it to them like 2 days ago.

Do they look to be pea-sized? When I pull older peas out of the water, they do look much lighter in color.

they are bigger than pea sized. I wonder if they are fibrous enough to absorb enough water to expand?

I looked at the picture and thought, "Pea shell."

It does look like a pea shell... I bet that's what it is.

I dehydrate my peas and then rehydrate them with garlic water. Sometimes a shell or two gets in the bowl, but they have never really gotten any bigger than when they started.

Just stick your hand in there and cop a feel! Lay it out on a paper towel and take some macro shots. :D lol! Worse thing that'll happen is that it'll be a snail, or maybe a gigantic snail egg.

Eheheh, well I guess I have learned a new lesson. I am glad they aren't snail eggs! How horrifying! Especially since I do not have snails! Hah.