Filters for mollies, cherry barbs in a 20L gallon?

Hi guys, I am trying to be thrifty here for setting this up cause I have lost 4 filters in the past 8 months and lost all of the receipts >.< I love Marineland so much but they are a little expensive... Same with Aquaclear. I'm not saying I don't want to spend money on a good filter, I am just saying I don't want to spend a lot of money on a filter if there is something less expensive and suitable. So besides Tetra and Aqueon, which filters can handle a 20l gallon with 6-12 fish?

I was also looking at a brand called Aleas, has anyone ever used this brand? The XP-80 was only 14 usd.

Edited by LovelyChaos

To be honest, I have used Petsmart's Top Fin brand filters before, and have not have a single one of them quit on me. The Top Fin 30 turns over 150gph, that would be great for your setup, and the filter only costs $ 26.

Then again the better Tetra Whisper brand does not really cost more. The EX30 (160gph) costs $ 27.

I have never heard of the Aleas brand, so I can't tell you anything about it.

How did you lose these filters anyway? Literally LOST them or did they break on you?

They all just stopped working. I have no clue why. 3 stopped working within the week I got them, and my whisper just blew out last month. I did regular upkeep and everything. They were aqueon and a tetra, but for some reason the whisper cartridges are really hard to find. It's possible they had been shelved for over a year though. I was asking about the Aleas cause it does 680 lph (according to google, 179gph), and for some reason my LFS stocks them. I suppose I will ask about them tomorrow if the owner is there.

You can get Aqua clears pretty cheap on amazon http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-30-Power-Filter-Includes/dp/B00020SVDG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1345771645&sr=1-1&keywords=aquaclear+30

Also if you are a current college student you can get amazon prime for free and have free shipping :D

• Admin

I have tried alot of filters over the years, and a Tetra filter recently ,cause I had killed my AC :o

Well any way after one month the Tetra filter sprung a leak in the motor area.... Not good with me....

All I have is the AC filters. I think they are the best on the market for the buck... :thumb:

I have tried alot of filters over the years, and a Tetra filter recently ,cause I had killed my AC :o

Well any way after one month the Tetra filter sprung a leak in the motor area.... Not good with me....

All I have is the AC filters. I think they are the best on the market for the buck... :thumb:

I will find one at a good price then! I have never much cared for aqueon or tetra. The only working thing I have from aqueon now is a heater. My hood and light are broken. I just hope I can keep everything working for longer than a couple of months!

I used to use nothing but Whisper filters.....then they changed the filters and killed what once was a great filter (albeit with "after market" filter media set ups). I now run Penguin filters. Made by Marineland, they are pretty good filters. The DrsFosterSmith.com site has the Penguin 200 for 22 bucks and some change....plus shipping. A Penguin 200 would be ideal for your 20 Long (I assume that is what you mean by 20L since you are in the US of A.). That would give your tank the 10X filtration rate needed with HOB filters and a nice big BIO-Wheel for Biological filtration.

Tim

Edited by OBIO

I used to use nothing but Whisper filters.....then they changed the filters and killed what once was a great filter (albeit with "after market" filter media set ups). I now run Penguin filters. Made by Marineland, they are pretty good filters. The DrsFosterSmith.com site has the Penguin 200 for 22 bucks and some change....plus shipping. A Penguin 200 would be ideal for your 20 Long (I assume that is what you mean by 20L since you are in the US of A.). That would give your tank the 10X filtration rate needed with HOB filters and a nice big BIO-Wheel for Biological filtration.

Tim

Thanks! I will check out that site too. I love penguin filters. I just got 2 350's for my 55 and they have been running so well. At petco mine were 4 dollars! No idea why but they are so wonderful I bought the last two!

How about a ton of live plants. So many you can't find room to plant another plant and a bubble stone.

Edited by Hidr