Betta Color Types

Kiara1125

This is interesting but not entirely accurate...

There are orange bettas, lots and lots! There are NOT purple bettas. The photo you posted is a photoshopped example of what a purple betta might look like. There are some purple-ish wine colored bettas and I know Chard56 on aquabid and bettafish.com has been working on a strain but they are very unstable, purple bettas are not around yet. There are some sort of lavender blue bettas, but a true purple betta, there is not. I'll go through the rest of this posting now but needed to clarify on those colors.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"All marble bettas are butterflies, but not all butterfly bettas are marbles"

This you got backwards - All butterflies are a marble variation, but not all marbles are butterflies, as that is a specific color combination.

Also, cellophanes and dalmations are sold in petsmart and petco all the time so I would not say they are rare. Cellophane and dalmations are also marbled betta types. So are piebalds. These can all come from marble spawns. Grizzled is marble too.

Dragon is a type of scaling referring to the thick colored scales that can cover the face. Dragon scaling was originally just white thick scales developed for fighting betta, but now dragon scales can be many colors and the skin color underneath can be many colors. I had a perfect orange betta with white dragon scales. The combinations are nearly endless. The skin and scales can be the same color too. Marbles can be dragons.

"Fancy" is a marketing term for marbled betta. They are just marbles, not a specific type :) Dragon scaled marbles with a solid color base are just a different type of marble. There are lots of marble gene bettas.

If this is to be made into a sticky or something, it would be great if you could fix the information and maybe present the colors as solids - x, y, z, and marbles - x, y, z. Those are the two types of coloration, with different types of scales that can effect how they look.

Not trying to be a party pooper here, you have some great information and you obviously put a lot of hard work into this so way to go! I would just like to see all of the information be correct to share the best knowledge about betta this board has to offer.

Edited by GreenTea

Green Tea, I'm really glad you are taking the time out to check the info and to make sure that everything is as it should be. I wonder if you and Kiara (and whomever else knowledgeable) would like to work together to produce something, and then you can submit it as a betta article for the forum. This would be amazing! :)

I know a lot about marbles as they are what I bred. I do have a lot to share. I just need to write them up. I'm working on an article about giant bettas. They are my special favorite. As well as how to establish a "sorority" for female bettas and marbled bettas.

I would like to do that too. Narny obviously needs to contribute.

Here are some orange betta I have owned as examples :

fwbettashmp1325058367.jpg

Marble

fwbettashmp1325250603.jpg

Solid orange female

IMG_3143.jpg

Two dragon scaled fish, one black and blue, one orange and white - females

IMG_0268.jpg

orange dalmation female

fwbettashmp1318694140.jpg

orange finned blue dragon scale female

IMG_0717.jpg

orange finned blue dragon scale male with some dalmation spotting

IMG_1868.jpg

orange copper female

Edited by GreenTea

Here are some "purple" betta as examples. Below is a salamander colored betta whose blue pigmentation and white dragon scales make it look very purple.

purpleboy.jpg

A layering of different pigments gives that lavender color I was talking about.

Edited by GreenTea

very well done hun.. thank you for sharing your information with us :heart

Thanks! Just like sharing my knowledge. ;)

Thank you! I've gone ahead and added the pics to the first post for more convenient viewing, but left the other posts behind anyway. Sorry if there is some confusion :)

Thank you sooooo much, Alex! :heart

Kiara, did you see the changes I posted? Would you like to compile a more comprehensive and accurate color coverage for bettas?

Kiara has not responded to me so if you like PSP maybe we could make a complete color guide? :)

Please! That would be fantastic. I could try to edit this thread, but it would be so mangled :no:

• Admin

Kiara has not responded to me so if you like PSP maybe we could make a complete color guide? :)

Hun start a new one... Alex will in in charge of getting it all nice and neat.... Then I will place it in the Article section under betta's :thumb:

I know a lot about marbles as they are what I bred. I do have a lot to share. I just need to write them up. I'm working on an article about giant bettas. They are my special favorite. As well as how to establish a "sorority" for female bettas and marbled bettas.

I would like to do that too. Narny obviously needs to contribute.

Contribute to what? Sorry only half in what this is about :P I've posted quite a few articles already in the article section which is linked in my siggie :P

I'd love to help out in making a correct guide! I'd like to properly source the pictures too, I don't like using others work or photos with credit or permission.

Do you think it will also be worth while including betta types as colours, patterns, etc also can differ in accordance to the betta type?

If you guys wan't I am happy to do a 'betta types' section as you both know a lot more about colour :) I think citing and referencing is a great idea as well. Always best to source everything

:grouphug:IHNTA:

:rofl Stakos quickly contribute something! What is your favorite betta color?

EDIT: I think a combined effort of colors & types would be best. :) If you want to write up types than that's fine!

Edited by Pearlscaleperfect

Ok awesome! well we can all organise it all over the PM system or even start a thread where we can just post our info, check it over with each other so it is accurate or even add stuff to it, then bring it all together :)