Betta Color Types

Kiara1125

[it was suggested that I do this by Lovely Chaos, so here it is!]

Most people say that they have a red or blue betta, not to mention that those are the most common. But, there are soooo many more color combinations then that! Here's the ones that I can think of/remember right now [will update if/when needed].

SOLID COLORS

Blue- one of the most common betta colors, especially in veiltails. They come in many shades such as royal blue, steel blue, corn-flower blue, and turquoise.

blueboy.jpg

Red- another common color among bettas. Shades include vermilion red, deep crimson, red/brown, and cherry red.

Red-Betta-Fish.png

Green- one of the more uncommon colors. It's hard to find a solid green betta, as most are with other colors or are green marbles. Shades include dark green, emerald, forest green [rare], and turquoise.

Green-Betta-Fish1.png

Purple- another more uncommon color among bettas. Shades include lavender, violet, and true purple [rare].

0eafb6be320e6e94d26919ccfecc2370.jpg

Orange- a hard combination to get. No betta is truly orange ... yet. Shades include red-orange, orange-yellow, vermilion-orange, and tangerine.

3638865587_7e6efa8256.jpg

Yellow- somewhat in between being common and uncommon. They are widely produced, yet not many people [unless if they're a big breeder/seller] know about these colors. Shades include lemon yellow, butter yellow, golden yellow, pale yellow, yellow-brown, peach, and apricot.

Yellow.jpg

White- a more common betta color. Most people see bettas that are butterflies, marbles, dragons, or fancies that have a mixture of colors, rather than completely white. Shades are light grey to a creamy white. The bettas can have colored "beards" from underlying colors in genes.

White.jpg

Opaque- a more uncommon color. These bettas can be considered as white opaque which can give the appearance of a milky white overlay of the other colors, or a dense white like freshly fallen snow. White opaques that give the milky overlay appearance are called pastels.

opaque_male_4_web.gif

Albino- extremely rare and NOT considered white. Albinos lack all pigmentation and the eyes tend to be a light pink or eerie red color. Albino bettas can either be a pinkish white or a solid white [only if there's the opaque gene].

albino+.jpg

Cellophane- an extremely rare color. Cellophane bettas basically have no color. The fins are translucent and the body is flesh. Since the skin itself doesn't have any pigments, you can see their tissues and organs, which are flesh colored.

cellophane3mw.png

Black- most bettas that have a form of black on them are more common. Pure black bettas are somewhat common as well, but most people don't realize that they're out there. It is hard to breed these bettas, as all pure black female bettas are infertile, along with males from melano bloodlines. Shades include melano, super black, smoky black, black lace, and copper black.

1285230647_123288670_3-betta-plakat-super-black-Animals.jpg

Copper- uncommon. These bettas appear brown or bronze to the eye, but are actually a mix of yellow and black. Shades include light gold, deep copper, deep red copper, and purplish copper.

BOS_DT_CopperGold_Small.jpg

BI-COLORS

Chocolate- another uncommon color. Main characteristics/shades are a dark, usually black, body with dark blue or dark green and the fins are yellow or golden orange.

Chocolate-Betta-Fish.png

Cambodian- the body is flesh to whitish [but can be light red/pink with red stripes] and the fins are red [traditional cambodians] or can be blue or green. These are NOT the same as dragon bettas.

Red Cambodian

cambodian_red_female.jpg

Blue Cambodian

betta%20blue%20cambodian%20veil.jpg

Green Cambodian

camGreen+.jpg

PATTERNS

Butterfly- very common. Bettas can be any color, but the tips of their fins [doesn't matter how large or small the portion/section is] are white. This will appear in all of their fins, including pectorals.

Butterfly.jpg

Marble- very common. Bettas can be any color, but normally are a color, or two, and white. They constantly change colors and patterns. There's a saying that goes "All marble bettas are butterflies, but not all butterfly bettas are marbles." I bought a light blue marble halfmoon betta and he was mostly opaque. Now, he's dark blue with streaks of red and is a butterfly [still considered a marble though]. Marbles will most likely never stop changing their colors. Personally, they are my favorite type of betta.

4572861051.jpg

Piebald- somewhat common. These bettas are like marbles, but have a flesh/salmon colored face.

shapeimage_22.png

Dragon- quite common.These bettas usually have a bright, strong base [such as red] with their scales highlighted in a pale iridescent color. They can be any color, but their body is [usually ... can be other colors such as turquoise] an opaque color that covers the whole body, including the face and upper parts of the eyes [most of the time]. Only the stomach/chest/chin areas seem to be clear and tend to have a flesh to tan color.

1046021_monster2.2.jpg

1571999630_27a9a11df4.jpg

Grizzled- very uncommon. These bettas have either a pastel or opaque body with random flecks and spots of iridescent coloring.

fwbettashm1224325534.jpg

Dalmatian- quite uncommon. These bettas are normally pastel with spots/speckles of any color on their body and fins.

bc0b1158be51125257416a7bb3c2c95e.jpg

Mustard Gas- slightly uncommon. These bettas are either green or blue with yellow or orange fins. They are a popular bi-color.

Articles-MG5.jpg

Multicolor- common. These bettas are everywhere and don't apply to any specific color or pattern.

img_5960-1.jpg

Fancy- uncommon. These bettas are mainly like multicolors, but tend to have more white and look marbled and grizzled.

DSC_4920.JPG

Orchid- fairly uncommon. These bettas are usually black [sometimes with red] and have metallic blue streaks on their tails/fins.

Orchid+-Male.jpg

Thanks for reading and I hope that you enjoyed this little tutorial of betta colors and patterns. If there's anything that you feel should be added, please comment and let me know and I'll be sure to update it! :)

Edited by dnalex
added embedded pics :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just post them in. Take more than one post if you need. I'll fix it after :)

Thanks! :)

Very nice! When you can post more pictures you should definitely give examples of each. This is very interesting!

Yep, doing it now. :P

I like this :-), very interesting.

Thanks for all the work you put in this. :clapping:

You are now responsible for increasing the "I-wants-more-betta" fever on this forum :rofl

Bettas are sooo pretty. Amazing how many colours and variations there are. :druel

I like this :-), very interesting.

Thanks for all the work you put in this. :clapping:

You are now responsible for increasing the "I-wants-more-betta" fever on this forum :rofl

Bettas are sooo pretty. Amazing how many colours and variations there are. :druel

:rofl :rofl I'm happy to oblige! Plus, I have a MAJOR case of the "I-wants-more-bettas" fever. xD I have soooooo many bettas, but my boyfriend has more [around 33, I think]. I have around 12 males and 10 females. lol

Your in trouble. My daughter wants more bettas now! She wants me to tell you "I love the pretty fish" :wub:

Wow, your water change schedules must be epic :rofl

:theater:

Edited by Isabella

Your in trouble. My daughter wants more bettas now! She wants me to tell you "I love the pretty fish" :wub:

Wow, your water change schedules must be epic :rofl

:theater:

Aww ... <3 Yeah ... I know a LOT about bettas and all their prettiness.

And yes ... the water change schedules ARE epic. xD We take one day to do all of the tanks; clean them and do the WCs. Plus, we have a 72gal community, 55gal cichlid, 15gal shell dwellers, 3 divided 10gal betta tanks, 4 other random 10gals, 5gal flat back hex, 5gal hex, 2,5gal, and 2.5gal wave. Fuuuuuuuunnnnnn times. xD

Thank you! I've gone ahead and added the pics to the first post for more convenient viewing, but left the other posts behind anyway. Sorry if there is some confusion :)

very well done hun.. thank you for sharing your information with us :heart

Thanks! Just like sharing my knowledge. ;)

Thank you! I've gone ahead and added the pics to the first post for more convenient viewing, but left the other posts behind anyway. Sorry if there is some confusion :)

Thank you sooooo much, Alex! :heart