Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Yuki, the gorgeous doubletail betta! <3

Yuki! His tail used to be longer but it started to rot off. The reasons are unclear but he is growing his gorgeous tail back.

DSCN1458.jpg

DSCN1456.jpg

DSCN1462.jpg

Very gorgeous red dragon doubletail! Here's my super red halfmoon doubletail, Firefly.

100E3159.jpg?t=1340651840

*response to your sig: yes you can. The way the setting sun hits my goldfish tank puts a rainbow on my wall next to my door. xD*

He was just labled as a doubletail, but I guess anything is possible. He was absolutely gorgeous.

What a gorgeous fish! :)

He was just labled as a doubletail, but I guess anything is possible. He was absolutely gorgeous.

Yeah, red dragon is the coloring that he is. The fin color is the color that he was, and the white body/face [with the chin being a normal or creamish/tan color *for lighter fish*] means dragon. You can tell because of how the body looks compared to the fins. Plus, it looks kinda chalky and it goes over his eyes as well. He's a dragon. Trust me, I've owned over 30 bettas ... I know. xD *currently has 14 males and 9 females* xD

For instance, my avatar. That's my male fancy [which means that there's no specific name for his coloring (plus his coloring constantly changes ... he used to be more red)] halfmoon plakat. He's from Thailand, and that's where all the good bettas come from. xD

Edited by Kiara

What a gorgeous fish! :)

Hehehe thank you thank you!

Yeah, red dragon is the coloring that he is. The fin color is the color that he was, and the white body/face [with the chin being a normal or creamish/tan color *for lighter fish*] means dragon. You can tell because of how the body looks compared to the fins. Plus, it looks kinda chalky and it goes over his eyes as well. He's a dragon. Trust me, I've owned over 30 bettas ... I know. xD *currently has 14 males and 9 females* xD

For instance, my avatar. That's my male fancy [which means that there's no specific name for his coloring (plus his coloring constantly changes ... he used to be more red)] halfmoon plakat. He's from Thailand, and that's where all the good bettas come from. xD

Ohhh I see. Yes he was beautiful and I couldn't take my eyes off of him and grabbed him up! I was surprised to see such a beauty at petco!

Yep! I got Firefly at petco as well. They have beautifully colored bettas.

Is it also dragon coloring if it is blue rather than red? I have been meaning to get a blue halfmoon or crowned that has some black/red flecks and stripes. Bettas are so gorgeous!

Is it also dragon coloring if it is blue rather than red? I have been meaning to get a blue halfmoon or crowned that has some black/red flecks and stripes. Bettas are so gorgeous!

Yes, as long as it has the white body, it's a dragon. If the body isn't white, then it's most likely a marble or a fancy if it has many colors. For instance, Parrot is a fancy and this is a marble.

DSC00524.jpg

Pretty! Yes the body is white. I think you should write an article about the coloring unless the breeds article covers that too! This is all so interesting. So is an elephant ear betta the coloring or the breed?

xD Thanks, I just might! An elephant earred betta is a betta that has long pectoral fins [the fins at the side of their face, hence the "ears"]. They are pretty pricey, but they're very gorgeous. Petco sells them for $40 I believe. *sorry for not seeing this post sooner* lol

How did you battle the fin rot??

I have a tail biter, so always on the look out for ideas to prevent/battle fin rot :-)

Beautiful Betta btw :-)

As are Kiara's :-)

I have a tail biter, so always on the look out for ideas to prevent/battle fin rot :-)

Thank you guys!

Because I didn't know what was causing it I had to narrow it down. My guesses were the heater burnt it off or I had a bad batch of tetra safe.

I switched to prime and buried his heater down more. All you can do is keep their water clean and they battle it off and regrow the pieces they lost back. I am not sure if you can treat it with salt like goldfish but I would also ask Kiara what she had done to help hers get better. After about a month of using clean aged water his tail stopped rotting and over the next few months it grew back until I used tetra again but aged it with the water and his tail rotted off again. But the heater was partially exposed so I can't know for sure but since using prime he has not had damage done to his tail (:

wow, he is really beautiful!! :heart

Thank you! He was a very lucky find! I have not seen one like him since!

Thanks! Now, I have 3 males that are tailbiters. I really don't know how to stop it. The best thing I can say is to have really good water quality. I've never had these males get fin rot or anything. It's just like an OCD thing, but for fish.

Thanks Kiara, mine hasn't had fin rot in a while. Just tail loss that I couldn't explain until I saw him circling around himself like a dervish and actually rip a chunk out of his tail. Silly bugger!

Edited by Isabella

Yep! I'm not sure why this happens. I do guess that they somehow think that it's another betta. But ... they're ruining them gorgeous selves ... lol

They can bite due to boredom, stress, bad water conditions, or because their tail is too heavy. There is really a plethora of reasons and you have to eliminate each one to determine the cause. They can be treated with low doses of salt for fin rot if clean water/more frequent water changes don't resolve the problem.

Huh ... my bettas might bite due to boredom. They're always carrying their tails high and moving them, so they're strong enough and it's not a problem. I think I might rearrange their decor more often and add some new plants. My fish always like it when I set a blue water bottle outside of their tank. xD

Ping pong balls and bright marbles work well for mental stimulation. My boys love to build nests around the ping pong balls, flare at them, push them around, etc. Switching up their diet and adding some different frozen foods is good as well.

Hmm, maybe they rip it off to make moving easier. You know, like in movies where a girl is wearing a long skirt and rips it off so she can run faster? Haha like that.