Sign in to follow this  
monkeyzero

Should I "save" it?

Hello

As you may know, recently my large oranda was very sick. However, she died. She finally gave out according to my tenant who was watching my pets for me while I was gone.

A family emergency had us leaving the state for a while in order to be with a very ill family member. I literally left within hours of finding out. I had my tenant tell me that the fish had gaven out that night and was frozen in a small container to be preserved to be burried when I came back home, which was 8 hours ago. She also did two water changes for me. She had trouble understanding the python cleaner but she managed. And I drifted off topic...

I noticed that my tenant was over feeding my dogs and the dog food was running low, and so I made a run to the lfs. Perfect timing for a water quality check and buy dog food. Of course, me being the wanderer made my way into the fish room. And there he/she was. A cute little oranda. All white with a black stripe running from its wen to its tail. It's wen was had black on it which was cool :). Sadly, the little dude was badly torn up. According to the fish room lady, he got sucked into the filter intake. And then the pleco and goldies they had in the tank had their way with the little fish and ripped him up even more, so they separated him. He was in the tank alone for about two weeks apparently. And he still is. And according to her, he is recovering.

AND I am SOOOOOOO tempted to buy him. But I know that I was over stocked and I really shouldn't. But the urge to get him is overwhelming. I mean, I can always get him and up the water changes and add more plants and get a larger tank when I get my financial aid money(in October). But Lordy I am having urges. He is adorable. I did notice he had trouble swimming since his tail, anal fins, dorsal fins and a part of his pelvic fins are torn up.

I know I shouldn't buy him but I'm like if I do this and this and this, he will be fine. And then I'm worried he might go to a home where the people keep him in bowls or in really bad conditions. I mean, its been two weeks and people haven't purchased him yet and he's only $2.99, but GAH! Fish owner problems...

Well, if you go by that the little guy should be in QT until about when the financial aid should be coming in, anyways, both for health of the other fish, and to let the little darling heal up... maybe it would work? Do you have a QT tank already? They have 10 gallon kits at Walmart, if there's one in your area, for $30... light, filter, and tank- if that's in the budget.

I'm a big sucker for taking in the little guys that need extra help, though. I would totally do it, as long as it were ok finances wise.

Edited by JamieMonster

I agree, if you have an extra qt I would get him. Every fish deserves a chance to live and you are already in love with him!

Qt is up and ready. Will get him tomorrow :):D

I'm with the rest if you have the room for a qt or tub until you can upgrade your tank then why not get the little cutie ;) looking forward to pics ;)

Good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly, and that you are able to get the little guy all healed up. :)

Will be getting him in a few hours. :) Will post pics as well :)

QT tank set up and....go for it.

You're good, that's what i'd have done.

Edited by King Poseidon

Looking forward to pics!

Did you at least get the dog food?

Why yes of course I got dog food :) That was the main reason to go :P

I didn't get the chance to get him today. :/ I will tomorrow. I called the pet store and have him on reserve for me. Will get him tomorrow. I'm sorry. Pics when I get him :)