Sign in to follow this  
Guest anniek

Sick Fantail

Guest anniek

We had Giggles in a outside pond. I don't know much about fish but, it seemed weird when he would float to the top and fight like crazy to swim back down only to float to the top again. I brought him in the house and put him in a cooler with water along with another fish that looks like him. I read that the temp. of the water was not warm enough. (late fall in Illinois). He would be upside down all the time and now a few months later he is on his side all the time. He can not swim to the top at all. When he tries to swim he spirals, tires and drops to the bottom again. He only eats when I soak his food and then drop it to him. He does have fecal matter in the container. Other fish is fine. I took giggles out of container, put him in the largest fish bowl I have and medicated it with Tetrecycline. This is the 4 th day, still no sign of improvement. Have any ideas??????

If he has a swimbladder problem, starving him for 3 days then feeding nothing but defrosted frozen peas(with their shells popped off and chopped small) for a further 3 days. The peas act as a laxative and will help expel any trapped air which might be giving him balance problems.