Close call!

Akari_32

Omg, so I'm an hour away scoping out my classes and such that start tomorrow, and I get a call from my mom that the wafer fall has blown off the 65 gallon pond and drained it! She was just about leave for work and luckily peeked outside at the ponds and noticed it.

I'm on my way home now, should be there in about an hour. She said she put it back up where it went, and there was still just over half of the water in the pond. Good thing I was wanting to change the water in the ponds today or tomorrow. Those fish are lucky their grandma likes their pond and looks at it every now and then!

>.<

Thanks guys! I took the time to net all three fish out and every one looks fine. I filled the pond back up with about 20-30 gallons of water :o

There are little holes in each side for sticking supplies stakes into the ground. Due to how I have the pond set up, the stakes they supplied aren't long enough, so we have to devise a plan to hold it down some other way. We were thinking that long rods used for soldering...

From how I understand your waterfall, it's very light and thus inherently unstable. You could try putting something heavy, like a bucket/flowerpot of sand/gravel under the waterfall and attach it to that.

You also should take precautions against your pump emptying your pond. You can do this by raising the pump off the floor of the pond, or by putting it in a plastic box so that the water has to come in the top and thus won't get lower than the top of the box. Of course, once the pump is out of water, it will burn out, but your fish will be safe. You can replace the pump very cheaply at Harbor Freight Tools. I have seen pumps with a "low water turn off" at HD for about $50.

It's fun and easy to make a waterfall. Here's the one I made for my first pond.

DSCF0011.jpg

I made a "platform" behind the pond (as high as the pond edge) with 1 foot square patio blocks. I used bricks to make a rim around the back and sides, and covered this with plastic that went over the bricks and over the edge of the pond so that all water drained into the pond. I used some left over pond liner, but any heavy plastic will do. Then I set some cement blocks of various sizes on this for a support and hid them with the pieces of slate. The hose from the pump came up to the top, and that cement froggie on the top sat on the hose, holding it in place.

The overhanging slate made a nice shady spot for the fish to hang out on a hot day.

Thats something I want to do with the 150 gallon pond, but the 65 is up off the ground almost a foot, so something like that would be a bit more tricky for that one. Not impossible though.

31A584C0-868E-4F66-AABF-19D540D60CF4-2124-0000027BE6B2C0E7.jpg

Concrete blocks are 8" high. They are also cheap.

I suggest you have a yard of topsoil delivered to pile up around the pond to blend it in. What would be very attractive, IMO, would be to get some of these or these retaining wall blocks, make a wall a foot to two feet away from the pond, and fill the space between the pond and the wall with soil. You could plant part of it with flowers and put some patio blocks on part of it to make seating to watch your fish.

Right now the waterfall is sitting on an upturned plant pot, with dirt piled up around it LOL

We plan on building a gazebo thingy over both the ponds (they are side by side) with benches and flowers and all kinds of fun stuff :) Because of money and time issues, we are only getting things a bit at a time >.< But we're getting there! I have big plans for these ponds LOL

Says "Oops! The page you've requested cannot be found.

If you have any questions, you can reach our support team at customercare@homedepot.com or by phone at 1-800-430-3376."

I'm on an iPhone though, so that could be it lol

Thanks! Should be really cool when its all done :)