Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Trying to set up 20L... Fish lineup compatibility?

Hellooo. I am looking into getting some balloon lyretail mollies and some black lyretail mollies. Can they be housed with cherry barbs? I may get a maximum of 4 mollies and maybe 6 cherries. I am also looking for a bottom feeder, and so far I am only interested in hillstream loaches or bristlenose plecos. Can someone tell me about those bottom feeders? I wish I could have had a bala shark but the poor cherries would be picked on.

How compatible are these fish together? I haven't gotten any yet so i wanted to make sure they would work together before I got them (:

Oh and this may be a stupid question but could a betta go with any of these fish? I would imagine he would have maybe some problems with the mollies.

20L is not big enough for balloon mollies or any other sort of molly. Keep in mind the bio-load of the fish, the size they get to, and their tank recommendations when researching the type of fish you want to get. Plecos can get to around 15cm in length, and will not be suitable for that size of a tank either.

Bettas can be very territorial, so if you wish to house one with other species in a tropical community environment, I would go for nothing less than 10 gallons.

The 20L tank you have is really only suitable for a male betta, and nothing more unless you want to add some shrimp or snails to the tank. I personally wouldn't even consider 20L suitable for a school of tetras, as there is not enough room for the tetras to get away from the betta and rest if your betta is aggressive towards other fish.

Ohh I see their tank requirements now. Good thing I asked first! Would you say that it would be ok to have a small school of cherry barbs without the betta? I wasn't for sure going to add him in there. He will probably get my 10 gallon to himself (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

Ohh I see their tank requirements now. Good thing I asked first! Would you say that it would be ok to have a small school of cherry barbs without the betta? I wasn't for sure going to add him in there. He will probably get my 10 gallon to himself (:

Is this in the 10 gal? I personally would keep a group of 6 cherry barbs in the 10 gal with the betta and see how he goes :) That way you still have the 5 gal to remove the betta into if he doesn't get along with the fish. I would make sure the tank is also well planted, which will add a sense of security for the fish, as well as hiding places.

Is this a 20 liter or 20 gallon long?

It is a 20 gallon long, sorry, should have put that. I will try the betta with the cherries and see how he does (: What plants would you recommend?

What type of lighting do you want to do? High/low light? High/low tech? What we recommends all depends on what you can do.

What type of lighting do you want to do? High/low light? High/low tech? What we recommends all depends on what you can do.

Hmm well I can't do anything fancy. It will just be an aqueon full spectrum fluorescent strip light cause the money will be put towards a good filter. The filter will be a marineland penguin 150 or 200.

It is a 20 gallon long, sorry, should have put that. I will try the betta with the cherries and see how he does (: What plants would you recommend?

I'm pretty sure that Narny's great advice assumed that you had a 20 liter tank and not a 20 gallon long. A 20 liter is very small. With a 20 gallon, you can have some other fish. :)

I'm pretty sure that Narny's great advice assumed that you had a 20 liter tank and not a 20 gallon long. A 20 liter is very small. With a 20 gallon, you can have some other fish. :)

I was thinking that too. I also checked mollies but he was right, the minimum is 30 gallons. I should be able to do platies or smaller sized mollies. Also the bristlenose pleco or hillstream loach, i haven't decided which yet cause I don't know much about the hillstream loach.

I was thinking that too. I also checked mollies but he was right, the minimum is 30 gallons. I should be able to do platies or smaller sized mollies. Also the bristlenose pleco or hillstream loach, i haven't decided which yet cause I don't know much about the hillstream loach.

haha yes, I assumed 20 litres and not 20 gallons. :)

Actually, in a 20 gallon you can house balloon mollies. How many you add is reliant on what other fish you want and what requirements they need. I currently have two balloon mollies of my own in a 15 gallon community tank, and they do fine in smaller tank environments since they don't grow to a large size at all. The main issue is that they have a very quick digestive system, so I wouldn't consider housing a pair in anything smaller than 10 gallons.

Also, balloon mollies make great tank mates in my opinion. Mine don't hassle the betta at all and they have learnt to stay away. They have plenty of places to swim so they don't get stressed out much at all. In a 20gal, they will have plenty of room and you can always remove the betta if you need to.

Here are some ideas considering what you want to add for some stocking.

-4 balloon mollies

- 6 cherry barbs or 6 of a tetra species

- 4 corydoras

- male betta

-2 balloon mollies

- 6 cherrybarbs and 6 of a tetra species

- 4 corydoras or 2-3 hillstream loach

-male betta

Keep in mind that hillstream loaches do like higher water flows- so they may not be suitable with a betta. They also like water rich in oxygen, so an airstone is needed.

These are just two simple ideas that you can play around with. I don't know too much about hillstream loaches so I have done a quick search on them. In any case, the betta should be the last to be added, and should be put in a breeder box within the tank so he can get used to the other fish before being introduced.

haha yes, I assumed 20 litres and not 20 gallons. :)

Actually, in a 20 gallon you can house balloon mollies. How many you add is reliant on what other fish you want and what requirements they need. I currently have two balloon mollies of my own in a 15 gallon community tank, and they do fine in smaller tank environments since they don't grow to a large size at all. The main issue is that they have a very quick digestive system, so I wouldn't consider housing a pair in anything smaller than 10 gallons.

Hahah alrighty. Do you happen to know if hillstream loaches could be housed with mollies and cherries? My boyfriend really liked them and he wanted to get one for my goldfish but I told him not until the 20 is up. The only fish I want are the mollies and cherries, other than an algae eating type.

If you only want the mollies and cherries, you can easily go for:

-2 or 4 balloon mollies

- 6 cherry barbs

-2 or 3 loaches

- male betta

That way you are understocked and have room for all of the fish- A well planted tank should provide safety for the fish as well as a sense of security, and make sure to provide some driftwood for the loaches :) Keep up on researching your fish before getting them so you know what they require as well as what they need diet wise :)

The hillstream loach needs to be in groups. If I remember correctly, you need a group of 4 or more.

Here's a document from a site of a care sheet. Also, try using this website for stocking help. You can fill out exactly how much your filter filters per hour, and tank dimensions. It also gives some great stocking and compatibility info! Generally I don't stock past 80-90%, just to be on the safe side of things :)

If you do need a minimum of four loaches, I am not too sure about mollies in there as well. You might get away with 2 balloon mollies, 4 loaches, and 6 cherries, as well as the betta. Just make sure you do have a back-up plan in case it doesn't work out with the betta.

Hillstream Loach

Alternative Name(s): Borneo Sucker Fish, Hongkong Plec, Chinese Plec

Scientific Name(s): Beaufortia kweichowensis

Category: Coldwater

Difficulty: 4.gif

Maximum Size: 7cms

Minimum Tank Volume: 75 litres

Minimum Tank Size: 24"

Water Temperature Range: 20-24°C

Water pH Range: 6.5-8.0

Water Hardness Range: 2-15 dGH General Information: Hillstream Loach are members of the family Balitoridae. They are small bottom-dwelling freshwater fish from Asia and there are about 500 species in 37 genera. Although they come from tropical waters they need high o2 so are best kept in cooler tanks. Balitorids are really interesting fish to watch. Although peaceful, most will defend territories, either to sequester feeding resources like a nice patch of algae, or to keep other fish away from a potential breeding site. Tank Requirements: See Minimum Tank Volume and Minimum Tank Size above Diet Requirements: Will eat prepared food, but also need a good algae growth for the little goodies (aufwuchs) that grow on it. Compatibility: White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Recommendations: A high oxygen tank is required to keep Hillstream Loach at their best. A river tank set up which has had time to mature is advisable. Common Problems: Similar Species: Gastromyzon punctulatus, Pseudogastromyzon cheni. Sexing: Males are usually larger than females and often display stronger colouration. Breeding: Balitorids spawn in a depression in the substrate alongside a pebble or rock. The male wiggles about a bit to excavate a little hollow in the gravel. They have been known to breed in a Goldfish tank.

Here's a document from a site of a care sheet. Also, try using this website for stocking help. You can fill out exactly how much your filter filters per hour, and tank dimensions. It also gives some great stocking and compatibility info! Generally I don't stock past 80-90%, just to be on the safe side of things :)

If you do need a minimum of four loaches, I am not too sure about mollies in there as well. You might get away with 2 balloon mollies, 4 loaches, and 6 cherries, as well as the betta. Just make sure you do have a back-up plan in case it doesn't work out with the betta.

Hillstream Loach

Alternative Name(s): Borneo Sucker Fish, Hongkong Plec, Chinese Plec

Scientific Name(s): Beaufortia kweichowensis

Category: Coldwater

Difficulty: 4.gif

Maximum Size: 7cms

Minimum Tank Volume: 75 litres

Minimum Tank Size: 24"

Water Temperature Range: 20-24°C

Water pH Range: 6.5-8.0

Water Hardness Range: 2-15 dGH General Information: Hillstream Loach are members of the family Balitoridae. They are small bottom-dwelling freshwater fish from Asia and there are about 500 species in 37 genera. Although they come from tropical waters they need high o2 so are best kept in cooler tanks. Balitorids are really interesting fish to watch. Although peaceful, most will defend territories, either to sequester feeding resources like a nice patch of algae, or to keep other fish away from a potential breeding site. Tank Requirements: See Minimum Tank Volume and Minimum Tank Size above Diet Requirements: Will eat prepared food, but also need a good algae growth for the little goodies (aufwuchs) that grow on it. Compatibility: White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Recommendations: A high oxygen tank is required to keep Hillstream Loach at their best. A river tank set up which has had time to mature is advisable. Common Problems: Similar Species: Gastromyzon punctulatus, Pseudogastromyzon cheni. Sexing: Males are usually larger than females and often display stronger colouration. Breeding: Balitorids spawn in a depression in the substrate alongside a pebble or rock. The male wiggles about a bit to excavate a little hollow in the gravel. They have been known to breed in a Goldfish tank.

1 or 2 mollies is fine, both will probably be female. I will research more on the hillstream loaches. Since I don't have an intricate way to set up o2, would a bubble curtain be adequate? I already have a pump I can set it up to, and I can add different valves to have more than one airstone, and would the plants help with o2? And the betta still has his 5 gallon tank so it won't be a problem. He is a halfmoon (probably) double tail male. He has never flared but he is a little aggressive with his food.

Edited by LovelyChaos

Yes, plants release oxygen into the water. An airstone just like people keep in goldfish tanks would be great. The smaller the bubbles they pump, the better. Bigger bubbles don't disperse oxygen particles in the water as well as small bubbles :) A curtain would be great!

Yes, plants release oxygen into the water. An airstone just like people keep in goldfish tanks would be great. The smaller the bubbles they pump, the better. Bigger bubbles don't disperse oxygen particles in the water as well as small bubbles :) A curtain would be great!

It is looking like this guy prefers cooler water with a bigger enclosure, so he may be out unless he can go with goldfish. What are some other sucker/catfish types that would be alright in a 20l g tank with the mollies and barbs?

Corydoras are by far one of my favourite bottom dwelling fish. They too need to be in groups of 4 or more, so you can actually house four of them in the tank along with 4 balloon mollies, and 6 cherry barbs

Corydoras are by far one of my favourite bottom dwelling fish. They too need to be in groups of 4 or more, so you can actually house four of them in the tank along with 4 balloon mollies, and 6 cherry barbs

I also love cory cats! I quite like the panda corydoras. I think they are too cute. Do you know of a small breed of lyretail mollies? I love those so much but most get pretty big.

I do know of lyretail balloon mollies, but they do grow a little larger than common balloon mollies. They also fill out a lot more, although diet plays a very large role in the forming of the balloon-look.

I have never seen lyretail balloon mollies in store, so I am unable to tell you how common they are.

I do know of lyretail balloon mollies, but they do grow a little larger than common balloon mollies. They also fill out a lot more, although diet plays a very large role in the forming of the balloon-look.

I have never seen lyretail balloon mollies in store, so I am unable to tell you how common they are.

My petco actually has some! And quite a few variations of lyretail. Mostly dalmation or black, which get larger than would be safe for the tank. The balloon ones are gorgeous though.

Hillstream Loaches are HARD to keep. They require lower temp, highly oxygenated water with LOTS of current...far more current that a Betta could with stand....and possibly more than would be good for Mollies and Cherry Barbs.

Bristlenose Plec in a 20 Long.....not unless you want to do a LOT of Large water changes on that tank. I know they only get 4 to 6 inches....but ALL plecos are HEAVY bioload fish and require more far more water than the average fish their size to properly dilute their waste.

Otocinclus Catfish are great algae eaters that stay small enough to be housed in a 20 long. Males get to about 2 inches, females a little bigger. But keep in mind.....NO fish can survive on algae alone. They will still need to be fed a diet of veggies (cucumber, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage) and algae wafers to supplement their tank-based algae diet.

http://www.otocinclus.com/

Tim

PS: Darn it! Tomorrow is my only day off. And I just roped myself into driving all the way out to Petsmart to pick up 3 or 4 Otos to go into the Betta tank. They are on sale for $1.30 each.

Edited by OBIO

Thank you for the info! I did know they need current but didn't realize it may be too much for the other fish. I will check out the catfish! I was also considering some corydoras, if I get fewer mollies. This is still in progress though so I have time for more research. Thank you again!