I love my new snails~~!

mjbubbles

I think I've mentioned my new snails that came a month or so ago.

I got a package of 10 from a seller on ebay.

They have done a fantastic job on the algae in both the goldfish and the betta tank.

Here's an example of the difference the little horned nerites can make on plants:

1345350795.jpg

You see the little yellow guy on a wonderfully green leaf that he had spent the day cleaning.

In front and to the left, are the other leaves that he hasn't cleaned yet - yucky algae all over!

Thank you little snails!!

One problem will be what to feed them once the algae is under control?

I tried to take them out and feed them algae wafers, but no luck. I have 7 in the 55 and 3 in the betta tank.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking!

mj

I will try the repashy for the snails if Fluffy and the gang will let me! They love that stuff!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

They are awesome! I would recommend them to anyone.

Mine don't eat algae wafers either, but I'm such a good algae grower that it's not a problem.

Btw, for anyone planning to add nerites -- you don't need many. A (good) lfs employee told me before I got mine that I would need just one in my betta tank and one in my 55. She feared that one in a betta tank wouldn't get enough to eat and said I should move them from tank to tank as necessary. One tiny horned nerite has been able to clear our desktop tanks.

I agree that you don't need many snails. I got a bit greedy when I bought them. They are a lot of fun & add additional interest to the tank.

Livekoiforsale?

I think that was the person I got mine from.

Yep, snails can do an awesome job.

Put one in my Betta tank 8 days ago, a Neritina (Zebra snail).

At first, my Betta (Crixus, blue/red H.M) tried to confront him.....then quickly gave up understanding that this strange shelled thing was not a threat nor an opponent.

He has totaly CLEANED all the glasses, the heater, the filter stuff.

He never stops working/eating algae....fantastic.

I have 2 nerites. I just leave them in the tank and don't feed them. Even though there seems to be no algae, there's microscopic algae that's always growing. Plus, I interchange them from all of my 5 tanks [including my goldfish tanks]. They're fun to watch, but be careful with them, they WILL escape. I had one of my nerites [during the period of 6 hours one night] crawl from the tank on the far side of my room, on the desk, to the wall, then crawl on the wall to my windowsill where it sat [with the window open and it was in the 60s outside] for the rest of the night until morning. I freaked out when I saw it. It was dry and cold, and made this really weird suction sound when I peeled it off the ledge. I put it in my betta tank and it slowly started moving around again. curse that little bugger. xD

I now have 4 nerites (3 zebras, 1 tiger) and I do love them! However, like others have said this is overkill in my 40 gallon. They've cleaned it up and now I isolate them every other night and feed them the soilent green that dnalex speaks so highly of. I kinda figured 4 would be too many but I figured once the tank was clean and I was making the effort to isolate at night, it wouldn't matter if I was isolating one or isolating four! And besides, it was my kids who really wanted the snails so I have them fish them out of the tank for me. :)

Congrats on the snails! They do such an amazing job!

I got 10 horned zebra nerites...............different tanks of course, and I honestly couldn't see why everyone was going on about them being such cleaners.............

Then the other day I was like,........WHOA,............I could see where they were eating some algea...........Nice !!!

So now I see why people say what they do..........I love em................. :clapping:

The first few days I didn't really notice any change in the amount of algae then all of sudden it was a huge clear spot. then they really went to town and now the tank looks good again!

Same here. It was crazy!