Sign in to follow this  
Pisces15

HELP! Gel food stuck in fish mouth

Our large oranda swallowed a huge piece of gel fish food and its stuck in its mouth. It's been a couple minutes and its still not swallowed. PLEASE HELP!!

Perhaps he will be able to break it down, goldfish teeth are quite far back. Sorry I don't know what to suggest! :(

Let him work it through. Unless your gel food is hard as a rock, he will be able to finish chewing it :)

We just watched him spit out a black rock. I'm guessing he sucked it up when he grabbed the chunk of gel food. :( Poor Wasabie4edd56d.jpg...

Edited by Pisces15

Thank you all for helping... it just scared us. He is doing much better now. :) Thanks again.

Given the size of the fish, be careful of that size gravel. He could get one stuck in his mouth.

We just watched him spit out a black rock. I'm guessing he sucked it up when he grabbed the chunk of gel food. :( Poor Wasabi

Phew!!!! That's another reason why I like my bare bottom tank! ;)

I know this isn't a topic about substrate but I agree with Alex. That gravel could really cause some problems in the long run. Have you though about a different substrate?

Also, I'm so glad your fish is alright!

That kind of gravel is notorious of getting stuck in there mouths. Not the best gravel for them :no:

We've been discussing a glass bottom tank with a few river rocks and some plants. I just watched him suck up 5 rocks and spit it out. He is the only fish that does that out of all our fish, of course he is the biggest fish.

The thing though is that we want our tanks to look natural as possible. We've been looking into aquascaping and such. But I think he is leaning more towards the glass bottom tank. What do you think?

If you want substrate, finer gravel or sand is a perfectly viable solution. It's these bigger gravel pieces that are dangerous.

A thinner layer of sand is fantastic, especially if you're going for a natural look. The barebottom is very easy to take care of but even with potted plants, the tank can still look kind of industrial.

D'awww. he's adorable.

I never used to like wenned fish before I came to Kokos. Now I'm falling in love.

Glad he managed to spit out his rock. I'm lucky that mine finally learned to leave rocks alone and eat only the green stuff.