Why are my ammonia levels still so hiiighhhh? ):

I just did a 90% water change an my ammonia is still really high. It is the same amount of highness as before the water change! I couldn't get the 10 percent cause the siphons weren't working and it was to low to bail out. My filters are off, I tried getting as much poop as I could but the ammonia levels are TOO DARN HIGH. Ugh.

I have to wake up early so I can't do another water change right now but I can tomorrow. I just don't get it.

:blowup:

What kit did you use to measure ammonia? Was this water with or without Prime? Does your tap water contain chlorines or chloramines?

Without prime, but I was using API drops and I think it still shows up on them. Looks like my water is clear. Even with a lot of ammonia, it should have gone down at least SOME with a 90% change right?

Yes, of course it should go down.

Do you know if your tap has chloramines?

Would chloramines be registered as ammonia in the drop test? The ammonia test for tap stayed yellow |: I have been letting the tank cycle a little while so the carbon can remove chloramines if that is the problem. Does carbon slow down the nitrogen process? I know a lot of people don't use it but I just kind of feel better having some... I hope I am at the peak of this problem and next week I can stress out over nitrites instead...

Chloramines would register on the ammonia drop test, but if your test is testing negative and your tank is, then we would have to conclude that there is ammonia in the tank. How much ammonia do you have now? You may need to do another WC tomorrow ASAP.

Carbon should not slow down the cycling process. I use carbon sometimes :)

Chloramines would register on the ammonia drop test, but if your test is testing negative and your tank is, then we would have to conclude that there is ammonia in the tank. How much ammonia do you have now? You may need to do another WC tomorrow ASAP.

Carbon should not slow down the cycling process. I use carbon sometimes :)

Ah, now it has gone down. Maybe just the higher concentration happened to be where I was getting the water from? It is at 1.0ppm. Still high, but not as bad as the previously tested 4.0ppm.

And I am going to be doing water changes daily now, at least 50% now that I have the longer siphon hose I don't have to haul buckets anymore (X

Edited by LovelyChaos