Draining the 55~ Killing time with pictures!

LovelyChaos

It isn't the prettiest thing and I am rethinking the substrate but I quite love my little Java fern on the left and the lucky bamboo (which next month will hang out in the filter (; ) And I finally got around to pruning all of the ferns!

QUESTION: If i find tidbits of microsword floating at the top that are still 'rooted' can I replant them?

My feeerrrnnnnn<3

DSCN1432.jpg

DSCN1431.jpg

DSCN1429.jpg

Also I am never ever going to do water changes with my fish in the water ever ever again. Okay.

very nice 55.............and I like your plants!!!!!!.................... :clapping:

Surprisingly, they were from petco. I have had them all since February. They weren't doing too good cause the algae started dying in their original tank but I saved them (: And thank you! It's a little rough around the edges but I am trying!

Very pretty. The only caution I have for you is that the bamboos, however, aren't true aquatic plants, and the leaves will rot if left submersed in water for too long.

Very pretty. The only caution I have for you is that the bamboos, however, aren't true aquatic plants, and the leaves will rot if left submersed in water for too long.

Yep! I have read that alternating months in and out of water is alright. Next month they are going in the back of the filter to help with the cycle still but have chances to grow (:

Alternating months with bamboo means you're just slowing the rot of the bamboo. Keeping the leaves out permanently means the plant will be healthier and under the right conditions grow faster. I get nervous with things rotting in a tank unless there is a snail in there. I know goldfish have the stomachs to consume all levels of plantlife, from new to rotted I can imagine though how it affects your cycle or water quality.

Alternating months with bamboo means you're just slowing the rot of the bamboo. Keeping the leaves out permanently means the plant will be healthier and under the right conditions grow faster. I get nervous with things rotting in a tank unless there is a snail in there. I know goldfish have the stomachs to consume all levels of plantlife, from new to rotted I can imagine though how it affects your cycle or water quality.

I see, well I am trying to find some pots for it cause it sticks out just barely. I will probably put the smaller ones in back then. Thank you!

Congrats on the upgrade :) and you can clean/siphon your tank with fish in it you just need to cover the end of the siphon so no more accidents ;)

believe me I know ...I killed my little Moor Jet a while back and was horrified to no end :( I'm still overly nervous when cleaning although I use a claw on the end now ;) I use this one ...http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23755

Also moving your lucky bamboo the the filters will help with nitrates as well :)

Keep us posted on the new look :)

very nice! :) I agree with Shell, it is generally less stressful to keep your fish in the tank when you change the water, just make sure the siphon has a cover/netting on it and never leave it unattended.

If the microsword has roots definitely replant it. It may have just gotten pulled up.

Does anyone happen to know if I can replant small bits of microsword that broke off of the main strands?

Congrats on the upgrade :) and you can clean/siphon your tank with fish in it you just need to cover the end of the siphon so no more accidents ;)

believe me I know ...I killed my little Moor Jet a while back and was horrified to no end :( I'm still overly nervous when cleaning although I use a claw on the end now ;) I use this one ...http://www.drsfoster...fm?pcatid=23755

Also moving your lucky bamboo the the filters will help with nitrates as well :)

Keep us posted on the new look :)

Well I decided since I have a longer siphon that can reach my sink I would drain it 80% twice a week to combat my ammonia and nitrites (it isn't fully cycled). It is just easier to take them out (: They are still small and it doesn't take too long to drain and fill it. Plus they get lots of treats when they are out so that I can keep from having an ammonia spike haha

Edited by LovelyChaos