Should I switch tanks?

Today my mother is going to sell the 25 gallon tank my neighbor gave us.... she has a space in a consignment shop for vintage and antique stuff and weirdly enough fish tanks sell well there. I've had my 20 gallon long tank for my 2 fancy goldfish for maybe 2-3 months now. I love it, but I'm not sure whether or not I should switch it with the 25 gallon.

I mean, they do very well in there with a very strong filter, no gulping, no problems other than swallowing air during feeding (resolved with frozen peas)....

So should I switch?

The 20 gallon long dimensions are:

36'' L

17" H

12'' D

And the 25 gallon dimensions are:

30 1/2'' L

17'' H

12'' D

I think I should keep the 20 gallon because there is more surface area....but does it matter?

Also it's longer so obviously it's more room for the fish to swim since a lot of the time they take a short burst of speed right across.

What should I do?

Bigger is better, but....

I'm doing a water change right now, so it'd be easy enough to empty like 7/8 of the tank and put it on my dresser with the goldfish in it, then bring in the 25gal and replace it, put the water, filter, gravel, and plants in then pop in the goldies....simple enough BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO :help:

Well, I have read that the most important thing for a fish is the space it has to swim back and fourth, so longer is better. There may be a more experienced member who knows better. I had a 20L and my two goldies seemed pretty happy in it. If your filter is at 200gph I think you can keep the 20 and save up or something for a bigger one (:

those dimensions are very confusing to me.

How can the 25gal be shorter and not compensate in any other dimensions?

doesn't sound like a 25gal at all, it sounds smaller than the 20gal.

I was just thinking the same thing.

You guys are right. I didn't even look at the dimensions provided. According to your measurements, your current tank is a 30 gallon, and the other one is a 25 gallon.

You guys are right. I didn't even look at the dimensions provided. According to your measurements, your current tank is a 30 gallon, and the other one is a 25 gallon.

That makes sense. My 20L is 30 by 12 by 12 or something like that. In this case the 30 is definitely better

That makes sense. My 20L is 30 by 12 by 12 or something like that. In this case the 30 is definitely better

I was really confused as well.

I thought the longer tank (the one I have now) was 40 gallons at first, and someone told me it's very easy to confuse a 40gal with a 20gal...WHAT THE HECK!?!?

So I took my 5 gallon bucket (exactly 2 bucket-fulls fills up my 10 gallon tank, so it's accurate) and filled up the 20gallon....lo and behold, 4 buckets fills up the whole dang thing. It looks so BIG though. I don't exactly understand how that works, but I guess it's just confusing.

It took 5 bucket-fulls to fill up the 25 gallon tank.....weird, eh???

I'm just really confused though. I don't get how the dimensions don't match up.

I thought the longer tank (the one I have now) was 40 gallons at first, and someone told me it's very easy to confuse a 40gal with a 20gal...WHAT THE HECK!?!?

So I took my 5 gallon bucket (exactly 2 bucket-fulls fills up my 10 gallon tank, so it's accurate) and filled up the 20gallon....lo and behold, 4 buckets fills up the whole dang thing. It looks so BIG though. I don't exactly understand how that works, but I guess it's just confusing.

It is possible you have a terrarium on your hands. Usually tanks all have uniform dimensions, unless its custom

It is possible you have a terrarium on your hands. Usually tanks all have uniform dimensions, unless its custom

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my aunt gave me the 20 gallon long tank.....she definitely got it from a pet store in the fish tank department...usually terrariums are in a different section, right?

That is really, really weird though.

Will it spring a leak???

...........................Huh.

I'm stumped xD

No matter the size or estimated gallonage of the tank, you measured it via how much volume of water it actually holds (filling with 5 gal buckets and counting them). I would go by those numbers over anything else. If there is only a 5 gal difference of water I'd go for greater surface area. If there is greater than a 5 gal difference then I think it would be worth it to sacrifice the length for more volume.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my aunt gave me the 20 gallon long tank.....she definitely got it from a pet store in the fish tank department...usually terrariums are in a different section, right?

Will it spring a leak???

I'm stumped xD

Well as long as you are sure it was from aquatics you should be good. It may be a different supplier that you got it from. But I would recommend saving for a 40l or something (:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will it spring a leak???

I'm stumped xD

Well as long as you are sure it was from aquatics you should be good. It may be a different supplier that you got it from. But I would recommend saving for a 40l or something (:

Well, my aunt who is superrich bought it :P She usually buys the top quality, most expensive brands that she can possibly get...kind of a show-off thing. And yeppers I'm definitely going to get a larger tank as soon as possible...I need to save up $$$ though, I just ran dry buying a $60 cowboy hat :no: