Sign in to follow this  
Cezza91

New Tank! Now What?

I just bought a new and bigger tank from glorious eBay. I'll have to upgrade again in the future, but until I can afford something bigger this was a steal at just £10. I couldn't resist. :P

My old tank is still cycling though, and it's only been cycling for a week.

I'm guessing I'll be able to move the fish straight into the new tank without waiting for the cycle to finish in the old one, but is there anything specific I need to know when doing this? I assumed I would just put everything from the old tank into the new one - gravel, decs, filter, and the water. And fishies of course. And then just let the cycle continue.

Is this right?

I would guess so...congrats on the new tank :) just keep checking your levels while the cycling process is still on going :)

Congrats on the upgrade! What size have you upgraded to?

Yes, you can move them over and finish the cycle (watching your params of course as Shellbell has already said) and keeping the water well primed in between water changes to keep the fish safe from the chemicals forming. When moving the fish over, make sure you are matching the pH and temperature of the new water you need to add into the new tank to reduce stress as much as possible.

Alternatively, you can buy a cheap food safe storage tub (around 20 gal) and house your fish in there using QT methods and allow the filter to cycle in the new tank. This would mean daily water changes on the QT tank (possibly 100%) however it will allow your filter in your new tank to cycle without disturbance, which will be a lot quicker and easier than having to constantly monitor the params and keep the levels as low as possible. - this is just an idea if you wish to consider some other ideas, but you will need to know how to set up and maintain a QT tank if you don't already know :)

The main thing is to get the fish in a bigger tank rather than in the 24L tank where the parameter levels will be very unstable and hard to maintain without several daily full water changes.

Edited by Narny105