Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Rescued cute little Oranda from a dying tank

Hey guys, so I rescued a cute little oranda from a tank at petco where every other fish got sick and died. Now, he has been perfectly healthy and nothing has shown up. From what I could tell, one fish was sick (his eye was sunken in and he was half eaten to death until something killed everyone else) it looked like it could have been ich. Now, he does NOT show any symptoms at all, and I couldn't quarantine him and he kept escaping through the divider in my tank. My question is, if something were to show up, when would it? Nothing looks wrong with him. He swims around, eats, and looks healthy, other than a couple of missing scales. I have had a close eye on him to make sure I can take him out if something comes up.

If this has been touched on, i apologize.

Symptoms can show up as early as a few days or a few weeks. That's why we encourage everyone to QT for 4-6 weeks, and vets recommend 60-90 days, if you want to be extremely careful.

Symptoms can show up as early as a few days or a few weeks. That's why we encourage everyone to QT for 4-6 weeks, and vets recommend 60-90 days, if you want to be extremely careful.

Ok, that is good to know. I will continue to keep an eye on him. I know its pretty dumb to buy fish in bad tanks but I couldn't condemn him to die. Hopefully I won't be back on the 911 forums (:

I think horrible places like petco and etc can often conceal real treasures.

I think horrible places like petco and etc can often conceal real treasures.

This is true! I can only hope he is a treasure and not a time bomb. (:

I really hope he doesn't introduce anything to your tank. I would be so nervous if I were you.

I purchased two pearlscales a while back that looked and acted perfectly fine but were infested with flukes and died within days. If I had put them in my main tank without QT they would have infested everyone else. :c

Sometimes I want to buy the sick guys, but if I can't QT I put the health of the fish I already own ahead of the one I could buy.

Just keep a close eye on him, and I hope everything goes well for you! Hopefully he's wiggly and strong and no issues. c:

Congrats on your new fish :)

But be warned, I got a Beautiful tri color telescope that looked absolutely healthy and with in weeks of qt half of his face was eaten away from disease ...I'm so thankful he wasn't in my main tank with my other babies :( I hope yours isn't a time bomb :(

Thanks guys, to avoid similar catastrophes my betta has given up his tank and now the Oranda is living there for the next few weeks. Yuki is stuck in a bowl again but he will be alright cause I am going to do water changes pretty often.

Yeah keep him separate! I've had such bad luck with qt lol! You can feel my suffering now using a 55 gallon as a qt. Talk about back pain!

Yeah keep him separate! I've had such bad luck with qt lol! You can feel my suffering now using a 55 gallon as a qt. Talk about back pain!

Yeah that must be rough! But if symptoms start showing up in my 55 I will feel your pain \: I am out of quarantine tanks with filters. I have him in a 5 gallon with .1% salinity. He is super small so I think he will be ok with the 5 gallon.

If he is small the 5 gallon is ok but not ideal but make sure you do daily 100% changes ;) if you can you should get a steralite container that can hold 10gallons or more for around 8 bucks :D

If he is small the 5 gallon is ok but not ideal but make sure you do daily 100% changes ;) if you can you should get a steralite container that can hold 10gallons or more for around 8 bucks :D

I will definitely do 100% water changes. If he was any bigger I would definitely get a bigger qt container, but his body is only about an inch long. If he shows signs of distress I will definitely get a bigger container. Plus it's easier to keep the cats out of the tank |x

I'd do a complete water change and clean-up in the main tank after having a potentially sick fish in there.

I'd do a complete water change and clean-up in the main tank after having a potentially sick fish in there.

I will! I was planning to do that tonight when we aren't dying from heat x.x There is nothing like lifting heavy buckets on a hot day.