Ummmm how do you move snails?

I got my snails woot woot will have pics soon ;) How do you move your snails without hurting them I? I put their bag in the water to have them crawl out since I had no idea how to remove them from the side. When it comes time to put them in the tank how do I do it o.O? Sorry for the stupid question :P

I just poke them repeatedly in the soft part until they scoot into their shell. xD then continue poking and annoying the hell out of them until they detach. then dropt hem int he tank.

SUPER scientific, I know.

I usually grab them by the shell and quickly slide them sideways (is that the right word?) across the glass, this typically causes them to detach. This is the way I have seen my LFS do it, but I don't know if it's the best way.... it has worked for me so far though! :)

See I thought of that but super scared I would kill them lol . Oh and once my dad is feeling better I might rry this weekend to look at those pretty apple snails you were talking about and repshy :D tithra

Edited by MissColonel

See I thought of that but super scared I would kill them lol . Oh and once my dad is feeling better I might rry this weekend to look at those pretty apple snails you were talking about and repshy :D

I find that it causes them to let go right away. Just don't pull outward (away from the glass)

Whatever you do, don't pull them away from the glass.

I was once moving a lot of ramshorn snails and I would just pull, they made a "pop" sound. I finally realised that I was actually popping them out form their shells! Well, not fully, but most of their body came out. They seemed to be alive, at first I thought "cool, I have shell less snails". But then, it was sad, they lived for days shell less and slowly withered away.

So slide, wiggle, poke, but don't pull.

Edited by Acro

I also use the bodoba method with my mystery snails. If they're being stubborn, and you gently wiggle your hand back & forth a little while holding them, it is usually enough to make them let go. I've also noticed if you come at them from in front of their face, so they can see your hand coming, it will make them let go more quickly, and they usually release as soon as they feel you've touched them. To put them back, I just set them gently in a quiet corner of the tank on top of the substrate.

LOL- show them the salt shaker. Yikes! :rofl2

• 3 weeks later...