Green Water

My water is a bit green. I have 3 gf's in a 20g but they're still small so its no prob for now. It's quite negligible when you look at it from the front but you notice it only when you look at the tank from the side. Is this good or bad? My fish are quite healthy and happy. What do you think this is?

Your fish will be happy in the greenish water (just monitor oxygen levels early in the morning)... so it is more an esthetics problem. If you want to get rid of the green water you must look for the source which is either excess lighting (like having the tank near a window), excess nutrients (not enough water changes or feeding too much), or a combination of both.

Guest gldfshkpr

I agree with Kingyo. Live plants also seem to promote a green tinge to the water toward the end of the week. Feeding peas more than a few times a week also seems to contribute. For my tanks, there seems to be a correlation between the seasons as well. Summer months seem to turn the water a bit greener. I wouldn't worry about it unless your tank is getting direct sunlight for more than a few hours a day. That could bring on pea soup! Not bad for your fish, just makes it hard to see your fish!

B)

reduce lighting or reduce feeding...

if the water is giving out a stench of unflush toilet smell, then it is very right that the water is FULL of waste (ammonia or nitrIte will be high and fishes are gasping, lazing at bottom of tank)!! Change water immediately and find out what went wrong.. Most likely this is due to over feeding and your filteration system is unable to cope...

Guest Orandaman

High nitrate will encourage algae growth.

Installing a UV sterilizer will kill the algae and give you crystal clear water. I have one and it's great. Don't have to worry about water borne parasites either.

• 8 months later...

Actually, the water was yellowish not greenish. I thought it was green.

Here's the thing, when water turns yellowish, it means it's full of ammonia, which is bad.

But green water is actually good for goldfish. It's algea an algea has spirulina which is a good color enhancer.

Archived