Tank without center brace?

Hello all! I have an opportunity to pick up a 125 gallon set up for a really good price this weekend, and I haven't gone to see it yet, but I just noticed that in the pic it looks like the tank has no top center brace. I e-mailed her to ask if it was manufactured like this, or if the brace was at some point removed. I am awaiting that answer. My question is- does anyone know if this will be safe? It is definitely an aquarium, and not for reptiles, as it has been used as a reef tank by the seller. I am just curious, as 125 gallons of water would pretty much flood my whole house with standing water, and surely would be a mess I would regret! A little research prior to posting says that there were 125 gallon tanks made without center braces, and that they are safe to use- anyone with knowledge or experience with safely using one? Any input is much welcomed!

Have a great day, all. :carrot:

I've seen some 120 gallons without a centre brace before. Generally they're made out of super thick glass. It's probably best to wait and see what the seller comes back with before moving forward. :)

I've seen some 120 gallons without a centre brace before. Generally they're made out of super thick glass. It's probably best to wait and see what the seller comes back with before moving forward. :)

It is an older tank, and was made without one- from the picture, the glass looks CRAZY thick- like 1/2" at least. I have to make plexi tops for it, anyways- I will probably also make a frame that goes around the outside of the banding, with cross braces for additional support, just in case. That is a LOT of water.

I don't have an answer, but I sure do hope that you are able to get this tank. Good luck. :)

Thank you so much! :D

I found this great reference http://www.austinglass.com.au/aquariums.html that has more to do with building your own aquarium but it does explain the importance of the center brace.

The height will affect the necessary thickness needed of the glass. Whether there is a full brace around the whole aquarium or not will affect how much it bows.

It doesn't sound like it would be too difficult to make a new center brace if you are concerned or the aquarium is bowing enough to make you nervous.

• Admin

Not really Yapp, For taller tanks it kinda holds the pressure in the tank. I had a 30 gallon tall tank and once the brace started to go, you could see the tank warping :yikes

if tank does not have a center brace,......and not a "newer" tank with the thicker glass...........you could always make some thing to brace it to make you feel safer~~~it is my understanding also that center braces ( in older type tanks) are for water pressure................ :D

Going to look at that article re: center braces now- THANK YOU SO MUCH!

It isn't a tall tank- 6 ft long , by 18" deep, by 22" high, so, just the standard 125 measurement, and not one of the 120 tall tanks. I have to build something for the top of the tank to support the light, anyways... so, it wouldn't be a big deal to make that something that can also provide more structural support for the tank. I kind of like the idea of having removable supports for cleaning, though... I hate the center beams when trying to grave vac my other tanks. From the sound of it, it will be OK without it- but, I'd rather err on the side of caution, and just include a little more support with the lighting support.

Thanks, guys. ;)

Shoot guys, I have my 55 doesn't have one. Dangerous? How can I fix?

Ok, so, after a little research- older tanks were frequently made of thicker glass walls, and made without center bracing. The 40 long I had as a kid didn't have any center bracing... and it is not uncommon in older tanks. I'm not sure if this is a case of plastic being cheaper than glass- therefore, use less glass and more plastic to reduce manufacturing costs- or if this style has been deemed unsafe, and tanks being re-engineered to include more support (would need to look up how often tanks without center supports just fractured on their own... I don't think it is a common thing, though), or if it is both of the above.

I DO know, it will be hard for me to pass up a 125 gallon tank set-up with filtration capable of handling a reef system for my goldie boys for $200, though... I know, there are parts I won't need, and will need to tweak it slightly for a freshwater set up... BUT, I will post about that in another thread after it is here, and I am trying to get it all running. Woot. Anyone got experience with fluidized filter bed systems??? LOL

oh, and Tim wanted me to let you know......If and when you have the funds to do so, you CAN replace the top, you just have to be careful not to get the good seal when cutting the top loose.................. :D

Awesome! You 2 rock... I may be looking for pointers on that later. ;)

I'll just add my :twocents

My 120l / 30gal tank was centre-brace-less for a while. Without it the sides bulged out noticably and were in danger of breaking at any moment. There was no way I I could use a HOB filter on it, and thats a very small tank by comparison. If your tanks not got super thick glass and won't be on a 100% flat, solid surface I'd very strongly recommend getting a brace added. :)

Plus they're great for putting stuff on ;D

I'll just add my :twocents

My 120l / 30gal tank was centre-brace-less for a while. Without it the sides bulged out noticably and were in danger of breaking at any moment. There was no way I I could use a HOB filter on it, and thats a very small tank by comparison. If your tanks not got super thick glass and won't be on a 100% flat, solid surface I'd very strongly recommend getting a brace added. :)

Plus they're great for putting stuff on ;D

Oh yeah, I'm gonna brace it... for sure.

Anyone know where I can buy the new top banding piece with the center braces included?