Whats the best clean up crew?

Guest Jessie

Bristol Nose plecos, or snails. For me though, I prefer myself as the cleanup crew. :) A quick wipe of the tank sides each week during water changes, a light stir of the sand, keeps things in check. A couple times per month I clean filter intake tubes of algae, and any silk plants get cleaned (if I'm using them..currently not)

Really, goldfish are always foraging around the bottom so uneaten food gets cleaned up pretty quick as the day goes on. :)

Edited by Red

I have seen this question asked a million times.....and the answer is always the same.....there is NO SUCH THING as a cleaner fish. Any fish you add to your tank will simply add to the overall bio-load of the tank and result in water quality going downhill even faster. Add a school of Cory Cats to eat the food scraps, they eat the food scraps, and release poo and ammonia into your tank. Add a Pleco to your tank, and it will eat what ever there is to eat, convert it into 2 foot long Pleco Poo Strings, and add a TON and a HALF of ammonia to your tank. Add a Chinese Algae Eater and it will eat the algae and release poo and ammonia to your tank.

The best cleaning crew for any tank is a pair of human hands, a gravel siphon/python, a bucket, and a glass scrubbie doodad. It is only when we, the fish keeper, take the time to actually CLEAN our tanks and change the water in them that a tank gets cleaned.

Tim

I myself find tank cleaning therapeutic :) I love having my hands in the tank with my babies :) I love wiping down the sides of the glass and the filters and anything else in the tank :) But I must admit, I am on the short side and even on my tippy toes I have a hard time reaching the back wall of my 55 gallon and have just recently decided on adding a few snails to help out ;) but as stated above they too will only add in the poo/ammonia factor ;)

I guess it depends on what part of the tank you want cleaned up. If you are looking for a nitrate solution, plants would be the best bet combined with more frequent water changes.

If what's bothering you is algae on your glass then both snails and plecos may address that issue. But they have a dietary requirement of more than just algae and as previously stated, they need to be calculated into your overall tank capacity and you need to be able to increase your water change routine if necessary.

Algae on substrates and plants, there are cory cats and also some snails that may address these situations. Again the same issues above need to be contemplated.

Also some types of algae (an algae bloom of cloudy water may actually be a cycle bump and you are getting nitrites in your tank again) or even if you get water that starts to smell may be indicative of a worsening situation, add a fish to clean that up and you may be making a bad situation worse.

• 1 month later...

If you are looking to get algae of objects (decorations, rocks, plants, driftwood) in your tank, then horned nerite snails are awesome. They munch through that stuff in no time. You don't need many, though. If you get too many, they will starve.

I've asked you this before - what's with the "No mean comments!" part of your posts. I'm sure this will sound mean now, but it's pretty annoying! No one is mean here, as you can see, everyone posts helpful opinions and information and tries to answer questions accurately, and I've never seen anything but that.

Implying everyone here could or will be mean if given the opportunity really rubs me (and probably others) the wrong way, and is just generally unnecessary.

In relation to this thread, I agree with OBIO.

Nerite snails are amazing algae eaters, but they are sensitive to un-cycled tanks and there are a host of other problems that could occur.

Not only are they awesome cleaners, but they stay pretty small, they are ADORABLE, and Zebra nerites have the CUTEST shell patterns!!

I just want to clarify that cory cats are not goldfish compatible (they were mentioned a couple times in this thread and I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. They are fine for a tropical tank, but not for goldies :) )

• Admin

I just want to clarify that cory cats are not goldfish compatible (they were mentioned a couple times in this thread and I just don't want anyone getting the wrong idea. They are fine for a tropical tank, but not for goldies :) )

Winner Winner:)

Yup Cory cats, Ottos and anything with a Spinny dorsal fin and can fit into a goldfish's mouth is a big NO NO! please dont mix them or you will have to do what I did and cut the fish out of your goldfish's mouth :yikes It wasnt fun and was horrifying to me and both fish :( one Died!

I've asked you this before - what's with the "No mean comments!" part of your posts. I'm sure this will sound mean now, but it's pretty annoying! No one is mean here, as you can see, everyone posts helpful opinions and information and tries to answer questions accurately, and I've never seen anything but that.

Implying everyone here could or will be mean if given the opportunity really rubs me (and probably others) the wrong way, and is just generally unnecessary.

Im sorry, this was before you told me.

Yes, and comparing the dates, you told me it was unessecary and that was before you told me, this post is old.

• Admin

Yes, and comparing the dates, you told me it was unessecary and that was before you told me, this post is old.

OK okay... So lets just say not to say it again... Everyone here is friendly and everyone has an opinion :)

• 3 months later...

I had never heard of counting snails as part of the bio load... How many "gallons per snail" would be correct? I had heard that because they eat algae (plant material), their waste isn't as potent as those fish that eat animal proteins. Learn new things every day...

I had never heard of counting snails as part of the bio load... How many "gallons per snail" would be correct? I had heard that because they eat algae (plant material), their waste isn't as potent as those fish that eat animal proteins. Learn new things every day...

snails can add a good amount of bioload to a tank. Mystery/apple snails are pretty notorious for creating a lot of waste and not doing much cleaning up :P there are pretty clear guidelines for them that suggest at least 2.5 gallons be allocated for each snail. My horned nerites (which are very small) produce a surprising amount of waste. I have not yet read any clear stocking guidelines for these guys, but they will definitely add to your bioload ;) I have had to up my water changes in my betta tank because I am currently overstocked with snails since i haven't moved any to my goldfish tank yet.

snails can add a good amount of bioload to a tank. Mystery/apple snails are pretty notorious for creating a lot of waste and not doing much cleaning up

Which snails would be the best for cleaning? If they are going to add to the bio-load, I want them to be worth the gallons!!!

It is true that their waste produces less ammonia. The higher the amount of protein fed to an animal, the higher the ammonia output.

Still, some of these snails produce a lot of waste and this has to be taken into consideration.

As for snails to clean, I would probably try nerite snails. Apple/mystery snails don't do much of algae eating. Not enough to matter, really.

Although dojo loaches do increase the bio load of the tank, with my wet drys that is not really a problem. I love loaches and o man they keep the bottom of the tank really really clean. It is ridicoulous, no food what so ever gets caught under my plants, they get everything!