Where should I get goldfish?

Guest Jessie

Guest Jessie

Hey guys! Whats up? Ok, i don't know where to get healthy goldies. I have been doing a little research, and it says do not get animaals from Petsmart or Petco. Where do you guys get them? Thanks everyone!

~Jess.

No one said you shouldn't get fish from those places. It's advised that you scope out those stores though, to see if their fish are in good condition, or treated poorly.

What kind of goldfish do you want? Where I live, the "feeder" goldfish in Petsmart are very healthy when they first come in, although they go downhill from the overcrowding. Pick out a bright active one with it's fins up and you are likely to have no problems. One the other hand, the more expensive fish -- fancies, shubunkins, and sarasa comets, frequently come in ill, and have a very high incidence of deformities (particularly mouth and fins). Of the ones I have bought, 2 of 9 have been problem-free, and those two are very nice fish. The Petcos in this area typically have nothing resembling a healthy goldfish. People in other areas have had different experiences. There may be different suppliers in different regions.

Check out fish specialty stores, and look at craigslist. Right now spring babies are salable size, and my craigslist has lots of ads for baby goldfish for sale or to give away.

I've gotten fish from all over the place! Petsmart, Petco, even Walmart... and then some that I have taken from people who didn't want them anymore, or were mistreated and needed someone to help them get better and live a good life. If you get fish from one of the big box stores (the Co and Marts), as long as the fish looks pretty healthy, when you QT them with salt and prazipro, give them clean water to live in, and the attention they need, a lot of the problems are resolved. If you take home a fish that looks pretty ill, sometimes, you have to get more in depth with treatment, it can be kind of expensive and time consuming, and they don't always make it. Any new fish should be quarantined with salt and prazipro before putting them in your tank, though, regardless of where you get them. As a general rule, look for a happy, active fish, with no fin clamping, and no other obvious signs of illness. Look over the tank mates for signs of illness, as well... and it is usually not a good idea to buy a fish from a tank with diseased fish present. You never know WHAT they may be brewing.

As Shakaho said, you can end up getting fish with either mild, or larger deformities from these places- they aren't "highly bred" goldfish, and most likely won't be show quality fish. 2 of mine have the top part of their tail fin join together, which is considered a mild deformity, one of them is missing a pectoral fin all together- which may be an injury, or a hatching defect, I don't know, a couple of them have tail rays that bend down in a way they aren't supposed to, and one of them has a slightly crooked mouth... I still think they're all gorgeous, and love them all the same, though. So, I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. :D

Good advice above :) I just want to add that we always need to make sure we have enough room before thinking about adding a new fish. Goldfish need between 15-20 gallons per fish. A tank with too many fish in it for its size will have more illness/death and just be generally more difficult to care for. Quality over quantity :D

Two of my fish come from pet smart. Not at the same time. I just kept going till I seen fish I liked and looked healthy. Also had to make sure fish in all the other tanks looked good too cause they are all on the same filter system. Don't get the first fish you see. Look around see what everyone has to offer and how the tanks look.

Yes I even have one from wally world. It is a very nice store and they take great care of their fish.

Good luck

Guest Jessie

Everyone is very nice here! I thought everyone would laugh at me because my lack of intellegence on goldfish! ( Well, not a lack but..) Everyone here is nice than i thought! Thanks everyone! I might be upgrading to a 20 gallon, my fish are about 2 or in a half inches, though, when the reach four inches, we will be upgrading again. I know you guys must be thinking, Why not buy the biggest one and quit buying a ton of aquaruims? Well, I need to some money up at a time to buy the biggest one. ( 40 gal, 30 gal)

Petco has a dollar per gallon sale about twice a year. They just had one in June or July. I believe I got my tank last December so start saving now and by the time December rolls around you can get a nice sized tank (I think up to 55 gallon tanks are included in that sale) and an appropriate filter (or two) to go along with it! :)