Sign in to follow this  
neeceee2

Breeding stars

Yang my black moore has breedon stars this morning and is chasing poor yin and bumping her into every thing. Shouls i do a water change or wait a while to see what happens? not sure i want more fish.

just keep a look out for too much aggression. i don't believe you need to do a waterchange until she has spawned eggs and even then, wait until they have eaten all that they want.. sometimes, temperature can bring on breeding behaviour in males, that doesn't necessarily mean that the female has eggs. keep an eye on her though, if she's rounder than normal and not spawning, we may need to look at ways to encourage her spawn.

They just stared this behavior this morning. We had been jocking about how fat yin has gotten. how long does it take befor she will spawn? thanks for the reply Stakos.

hard to say how long it will take, she needs to be pushed around a little more by the dude. it looks brutal, but it's their way of spawning eggs.. lol.. it can take a few days.. sometimes, i wake up in the morning to a bed of eggs on the base of the tank.. sometimes i see it happening.. but from push to shove, shouldn't be more than a few days.

you're welcome :)

just be sure to keep an eye on the behaviour so it doesn't get too aggressive. ie, if she starts to tire and is being pushed around too much even after having spawned eggs, you can always put her in a breeder box for some time out.

if she's been pushed around for a few days and hasn't spawned any eggs, post back and we'll reassess :)

jst got home from work and the eggs in the tank are gone and water has cleared up. Glad that is over, Have to reset up half the tank where they nocked it over. LOL

:lol

haha! congratulations! :P

don't be surprised, she will probably spawn another 2 or 3 times before this is all over :o

:rofl

We have eggs. put some in a jar for now. wow

if you are thinking of keeping them and raising them, there are many blogs on raising fry and their requirements in the blog section.. head on over there to see if it suits you to raise fry :)