Sign in to follow this  
Pisces15

Buoyancy Problems

Hello.... We are trying to find out tips and advice on buoyancy in fish. One of our goldfish (fancy fantail...aka. "Nico") Suffers from buoyancy after feeding… he will float to the top or lay on his side, or struggle to stay down under the water....Come morning we will be fine. (Just like the other fish we had)… We already lost one fish to this issue and we are doing everything we can to prevent it from happening again. Our last beloved fish we had for almost a year before he died of this issue.

Currently we are using a breeding net cage in the tank to seperate him while we feed the other fish in the tank. We haven't fed him in three days to clear his stomach. Today we started using this new food “API, which specializes in good digestion”. If anyone else has used this, please reply and let us know what your opinion is of that food brand. Also anyone else who has gone through this buoyancy issue in fish, please reply and let us know what your thoughts are. Thank you… :D

Which API food is this? Do you have a link to it?

How much are you feeding at a time, and how many times a day? Food related floatiness can be due to: 1) overfeeding and/or 2) reaction to filler components.

API Food There is the link I found, its the exact food we use. Now as for feeding schedule... We only feed once or twice a day, and usually skip one day a week. The amount of the food is very little just a tiny pinch of flakes under the water... we also feed them the Emerald Entree . The emerald entree we fed Pie (the fish that passed away), it really helped him. He did not have buoyancy issues when we fed him the emerald entree. Its nots the case with Nico. And what did you mean by filter components... we have a Tetra Filter, a FS2040. That is the only link I found that had our filter... we got the filter at PetSmart.

Hehe, it's filler components in the food, such as starches that are added to bulk up the food and to bind the other ingredients together. Some goldfish do not react well to those at all, and produce gas when the consume (rather the bacteria in their digestive tract do).

I have several comments about that food:

1) We generally discourage flakes, because it encourages gulping, and also because the nutrients can leach out of the flakes fast. The gulping is very likely to at least contribute to the floaty problem.

2) Having so pea protein in the food is good, but it's not the right kind of protein profile for fish. When choosing food, you want food that lists as the first three ingredients components that are somewhat normal for fish, such as fish meal, krill meal, algae, etc.

One of the foods that I now love is the Repashy gel mix. It comes as a powder that you make into a gel. Here's my review of it recently, and what others think about it as well.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101320-review-repashy-soilent-green-gel-premix-powder/

For pellet food, I recommend Pro-Gold from goldfishconnection.com highly. It's one of the best foods around.

However, for floaty prone fish, gel food is your best bet, and Repashy is fantastic!

Well we soak the food before we feed them, and always under the water. We dont just sprinkle it on top. We've thought about doing the gel food and making it ourselves, however we came across documents stating the gel isnt good for the fish either. As for the Repashy. Can you please provide the link to where you order the Repashy fishfood? We found repashy gecko links but not for fish.

Anytime! I hope things improve right away. Let us know! :)

I agree the fillers are what makes 90% of goldfish Float. I had this problem years ago, till I figured out Progold and Gel foods. Gel foods can be made in many different way. The gelatin is the on that some fish have problems with, if you try Alex Agar Gel food, there is less likely a chance of the floats :thumb:

One of my fish, a fantail is prone to floatiness but since I stopped feeding flakes, switched to pro-gold like suggested above and started feeding shelled peas 3x a day all floatiness is gone! Its so nice to see him swimming instead of that bloated, barely able to maneuver type swim. I still had the problem with pro-gold alone, only in this particular fish but the peas along with the meals 2x a day and peas by themselves in the middle of the day seems to have cured him. It doesn't have to be peas, other vegetables help also. I soak the pro-gold for a minute or two before I give it to them.

Alot of people who try repashy seem to love it too, I bought the repashy, also recommended above just haven't tried it yet.

Edited by cmclien

I have a ryukin who is prone to floatiness (I've tried both ProGold and Saki Hikari in the purple bag) and he floats with both. However, since getting this Repashy food his floatiness has vanished!! All of my fish (3 GF and 2 bettas) and even my snails go NUTS for this food! It is by far my fave food to feed them as I know it will not cause any floatiness.