Sign in to follow this  
goldylove

blue water conditioning salts vs. aquarium salt

why do aquariums so highly recommend the use of the blue conditioning salts? i know they contain beneficial minerals etc. but isn't the "salt" part the same as the chunky white aquarium salt crystals & therefore not really necessary in everyday water? i know minerals are important & can't figure out how to add them to the water another way...

also, when salting a tank that is already using the blue salts, do you have to take into consideration the amount of blue salts in the water when calculating how much to add to bring the tank to .1%, .2% etc. for medicinal treatment of the fish?

thanks!

I've actually never used conditioning salt in my life, or at least I don't think I have. Will you give us a link to this product, so that I can see what this is, please?

i'm not sure if it's just an aussie thing?? apparently the water here in melbourne is very soft, almost pure water & these need to be added to increase hardness... http://www.aquaticsupplies.com.au/aqua-master-soft-water-conditioner-4kg.html even sydney water is different to ours here.

Hun, I use prime because it does so much more than condition, for hardening the water and to keep the PH stable, I use crushed coral in the filters. Lasts for 4-6 months. I used to use a yellow conitioning salt, it was kind of meh, now I just use a capful of prime.

That's an excellent site you posted.. I've saved it to my favorites in case of emergencies :)

Thank you for the additional info. These salts are different from aquarium salt, and are used for entire different purposes.

The conditioning salts are likely to be various calcium salts, designed to raise the total hardness of the water. I'm not sure how soft the water you have, but there isn't really very good indication that goldfish require a certain level of hardness for their water.

Total hardness (gH) is different from carbonate hardness (kH), which measures the carbonates present in the system. We do need a relative high kH as that buffers the pH from fluctuating, and beneficial bacteria consume carbonates.

sooo much chemistry to it all! it's very interesting, if not a little confusing at the moment! prime is on its way, i'm starting to accumulate more products than the crappy pet shop down the road! to a certain degree i guess it's finding what works best for your fish & set up...