Sign in to follow this  
Guest Zahava

Blindness In Redcap Oranda

Guest Zahava

my approx 2-yr old redcap oranda seems to have become blind in one eye, at least. she lives alone in 20 gallons. ammonia test is clear; ph 7.5-ish. she eats goldfish foods by wardley, tetra, marineland, aquarian, hikari. does anyone know what causes blindness in redcap orandas? is it hereditary? is it a symptom of another disease? please tell me what you can. if you have real knowledge about this, please email me at lisa_10021@yahoo.com. thanks.

Blindness can he hereditary or it can be caused by a number of diseases, but there is no form of blindness which specifically affects red cap orandas. The commonest causes of blindness in fish (apart from genetics) are parasites or nutritional defiencies.

How can you tell your fish is definitely blind - have one or both eyes become opaque? Is there a milky film over them? Is there cloudiness inside them? Does the fish react to sudden movements near its eyes or not?

If it's any consolation, blind fish generally do very well in tanks and don't seem affected in the slightest by the loss of their sight. They can find their way around by using other senses. One of my own fish has always been blind in one eye but it doesn't slow him down at all!

Hope this helps. :)