Soilent Green related Color Change

Sakura

I've been feeding my fish exclusively Repashy Soilent Green for the past four weeks now, and I've noticed some color changes. I figured that since the food has such a high algae content, Clover (mostly white fish) would yellow up a little bit, and he sure did! I actually prefer him to be a nice clean and brilliant white color, but I don't dislike the yellow enough to stop using this gel food. Just thought I would post about my experience in case others were wondering how this food would affect their white fish.

Bright and clean white before Soilent Green:

j053.jpg

Becoming yellow on fins and head after 4 weeks of Soilent Green:

IMG_9857.jpg

yup my lemonhead lionhead and oranda, were going pale yellow / whitesh......now they're glowing yellowish again.....personally i love the yellowing on the lemonhead

however if i had a white fish, i'm not so sure that i wud want it going yellow :)

I have to agree he looks good either way- I like that he almost looks like he could glow in the dark in the 2nd pic.

Although considering your aesthetics, clean simple lines, modern, etc. the pure white seems more fitting.

I'm not sure if I had posted this in my review thread, or if it was just private correspondence with CFF, but I see the same with Nelliel the panda, but surprising not with two pure white fish. They've been on the same food.

In any case, the yellowing happens only with soilent green, and goes away with the other Repashy products.

If you like, try the community plus. It has less algae, and works rather well also.

He looks fuller!

But I don't like the yellowing on my fish either. However, like Alex says, it seems to be enough to alternate the soilent green (and super green) with the other repashy foods. So far SW and einstein are still pure white.

Does anyone know if you see this type of color change using soilent green along with other foods (ProGold, some bloodworms, etc)? I've been using soilent green for a couple of weeks but I don't have any white fish . . . two mostly orange and one calico without much white. I don't see any color change as of yet but I'm also feeding pellets and bloodworms here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if you see this type of color change using soilent green along with other foods (ProGold, some bloodworms, etc)? I've been using soilent green for a couple of weeks but I don't have any white fish . . . two mostly orange and one calico without much white. I don't see any color change as of yet but I'm also feeding pellets and bloodworms here and there.

The exact same thing happened to my fantail that happened to Sakura's when I was feeding ProGold alone ( and peas), I will post photos when I have a minute. Now I am feeding soilent green but I am so thrilled with his buoyancy issues being resolved after only 24 hours that I don't care what color he turns! My mostly orange oranda has shown no color change.

I'm not sure if I had posted this in my review thread, or if it was just private correspondence with CFF, but I see the same with Nelliel the panda, but surprising not with two pure white fish. They've been on the same food.

In any case, the yellowing happens only with soilent green, and goes away with the other Repashy products.

If you like, try the community plus. It has less algae, and works rather well also.

Alex, do you find the other brands of repashy are as good with the constipation, buoyancy issues as the soilent green?

Similar color changes on ProGold. I was actually hoping for the return of the white but perhaps not.....

Sakura, hope its ok I posted these on your original post but I am thinking its the high algae content in any food? The change in my fantail is almost identical to what has happened to yours.

This is in early July, some orange tips had started on his fins.

DSC01286.jpg

After proGold for a few months:

This is today, after almost 2 months. Orange more pronounced and yellow on face and tail.

DSC01370.jpg

Is it the algae in the food then?

Edited by cmclien

I found this happened a few years back when I ran out of Hikari and had to feed Omega One and lots of greens for a while. I think as long as the fish is healthy who cares! It's easily reversible by switching foods so it's not a serious problem.

Alex, do you find the other brands of repashy are as good with the constipation, buoyancy issues as the soilent green?

Hi Cindi,

The soilent green is best, but actually so far all the other mixes I've tried (spawn & grow, super green, community plus) also are very well tolerated by floaty goldfish :)

Hi Cindi,

The soilent green is best, but actually so far all the other mixes I've tried (spawn & grow, super green, community plus) also are very well tolerated by floaty goldfish :)

Thanks. Think I will stick with that for now and see how he does over the next month of only being on that food.

My all white is getting a lot of yellow to and I only fed the soilent green for two weeks. Need to make some more. Some white fish just do that.

It could be anything. I know I feed duck weekend once a week. Omega one as main diet. Brian shrimp, prongs, blood worms and plankton now as treats. Some times shrimp but don't have any right now.

• 4 weeks later...

I found out why!

http://www.raingarden.us/color.htm

In this article: However, white usually suffers in an outdoor pond and may take on a yellowish tinge. This seems to be a result of consumption of algae, duckweed or other plant life which contains large amounts of xanthophill, a yellow pigment.

I bet ya soilent green has a lot of this :D I'm such a detective today :rofl