Sign in to follow this  
GreenTea

SUPER INSANE EMERGENCY EVERYONE HELP

I just got back from vacation and found ALMOST ALL OF MY FISH in my main tank DEAD. My neighbor who was given very simple instructions for my fish has almost killed them all. Lesions, ick..fungus? Hemorrhaging? I made a video for you to see.

I left very detailed simple instructions. The one fish who was in QT she moved into the big tank, perhaps out of laziness? Regardless, that fish showed no signs of illness for two weeks before my leaving. The instructions were simple - feed once a day, change the 50% of the water once a week, and follow qt procedures for the ryukin.

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level - 0
  • * Nitrite Level - 0
  • * Nitrate level - 0?
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) unknown
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) unknown
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops
  • * Water temperature? 78
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons for at least a month, fully cycled
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? 75 gallon hob + 2 large sponge filters
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? weekly 75%
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? unknown

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? normally 3 fish but she added the one in qt so 4 fish, one 7 inch oranda, one 4.5 inch oranda, one 3 inch oranda. The fish added was a 4 inch ryukin.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime (I hope)
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? NLS once a day I hope
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? just the one from qt that wasn't supposed to be there
  • * Any medications added to the tank? i dont think so
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) none
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. just each fish going through prazi and salt qt
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Bloody streaks, dropsy on the yellow oranda, head standing on the red oranda, a bit of floating on the brown ryukin, and the blue oranda is doing the best. Looks like ich plus other nightmares. Cloudy eyes. I don't even know where to start.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? All of the above.

I tried to describe it best in the video and I wrote some here. Please help me. I have been crying, it was hard not to during the video. I am so beside myself.

There was also cat poop on the floor, urine, no food or water. Cat wasn't wearing her collar. I am absolutely beside myself.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid7.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fy282%2Fgreentea191%2FFishy%2520guys%2520%2520gal%2FMVI_4231.mp4">

Edited by dnalex
embed video

Oh my God. Your neighbor should be mortified, this is disgusting. I hope someone can come along and give you better advise, but until then, just recheck you water params (you didn't seem sure in the video) and keep a close eye on the group. I'm so sorry. Sending healing vibes to your fish. This is such an unnecessary bump in the road.

I am so sorry hun :heart I am sending healing vibes to your little guys :heart I wish I could be right there with you and give you the biggest hug ever right now :hug

dear gawd.. hun, i am very sorry you came back to such horrid conditions! as an immediate fix, i would do as many back to back water changes i can in case there is some poisoning happening..

i will re-read the thread now.

I rechecked them and they are posted here, thank you Emily. She said she tested the water throughout the week and changed some every few days. I have no idea how things could have gotten so insane in like 7 days on so many fronts.

I am heart-broken. Really and truly. My poor cat too. I am never leaving her alone again. I am so stressed, my partner is having surgery in Seattle on Thursday. Missing his surgery isn't an option, but leaving my fish in this state also doesn't feel like an option. Obviously I will be there for him first but it will break my heart not to be there for them too.

CURRENTLY THE LARGE FISH ARE EACH IN A 5 GALLON CLEAN BUCKET AND EACH OF THE SMALLER FISH IS IN A 3 GALLON BUCKET, ALL SEPARATED, JUST WITH PRIME ADDED WHILE I BREAK THINGS DOWN.

Edited by dnalex
smaller sized font

Oh my gosh, that is absolutely horrible. I am so, so sorry :hug i hope they are feeling better really soon :heart I hope somebody else can give you some helpful information! I sure wish I could. Until then, you'll definitely want them to have the cleanest water possible! :heart

I'm so sorry :hug

Hi GreenTea, we got your reports. Thank you for that. I also want you to know that the mods all have email notifications in the 911 section. So anytime something is posted there, we are alerted.

I'm so sorry this is happening. Do you remember how I kept insisting that the new fish from this particular source had to be QT'd, no matter what? Now you know my reason. It's never been stressed fish. It's always been very ill-kept and diseased fish from a not very scrupulous source. Just be careful going forward. :(

What it looks like to me is a huge outbreak of ich (plus other external parasites possibly) with the beginnings of secondary internal bacterial infections. You are also seeing lots of slime coat floating about the tank. Kukana mentioned to you before that she had this happen to her as well, I think. Let's try to do all we can to help them. This is what we will need:

1. Salt the tank to 0.3% immediately.

2. Do you have Metro-Meds? We are going to have to salt, Prazi, and Metro-Meds treat these fish, but let's start with salt first.

Edit: Please try to keep calm. This is extremely important.

Put them back into the main tank and salt now please. Decrease all flow of the filters. Once you are done with that, report back, and I will outline the rest of the plan.

Edited by dnalex

ok, it looks like there may be an ich outbreak that was left unattended and now there could possibly be a secondary infection followed by no waterchanges. there is pineconing but no swelling that i can see so this may be due to the level of stress they were exposed to and suffered.

i think a good option is to start from scratch. nice big back to back water change to the main tank. take ornaments out and disinfect..

i would probably start the salt off in 0.05% incriments to avoid further shock, raise the heat slowly to 78F and then when at 0.1% with salt, raise heat to 80F i would then look at an antibiotic to fight the secondary infection

i am so sorry this happened.. your friend will need a stern talking to. i would aslo insist they give you the entire routine they engaged so that you have a better understanding of what happened.

Hi GreenTea, we got your reports. Thank you for that. I also want you to know that the mods all have email notifications in the 911 section. So anytime something is posted there, we are alerted.

I'm so sorry this is happening. Do you remember how I kept insisting that the new fish from this particular source had to be QT'd, no matter what? Now you know my reason. It's never been stressed fish. It's always been very ill-kept and diseased fish from a not very scrupulous source. Just be careful going forward. :(

What it looks like to me is a huge outbreak of ich (plus other external parasites possibly) with the beginnings of secondary internal bacterial infections. You are also seeing lots of slime coat floating about the tank. Kukana mentioned to you before that she had this happen to her as well, I think. Let's try to do all we can to help them. This is what we will need:

1. Salt the tank to 0.3% immediately.

2. Do you have Metro-Meds? We are going to have to salt, Prazi, and Metro-Meds treat these fish, but let's start with salt first.

HUGE thank you everyone for all the support but I'm just quoting Alex to answer his questions.

I DO have metro meds. I have aquarium salt. How should I salt the tank, and should I do a 90% change and then refill and dissolve salt in it before adding the fish back? What is the percentage at .3? 3 tsp/gallon?

in sync... :)

Helen, I think we need to start with at least 0.1% salt to start working on the ich, and then GT can slowly raise it more tomorrow. Hold of on the heat for now as well, since we don't want to speed up the ich cycle yet, given how bad it already is. Once they are in a bit better shape, we can add temp. What say you?

Go ahead with Metro-Meds. As much as they will eat. We will worry about exact dosages tomorrow.

They needed to be together to treat for this, and the main tank is a good place, since it's contaminated. It's going to be painful though, because you will need to do huge WCs daily.

ok, it looks like there may be an ich outbreak that was left unattended and now there could possibly be a secondary infection followed by no waterchanges. there is pineconing but no swelling that i can see so this may be due to the level of stress they were exposed to and suffered.

i think a good option is to start from scratch. nice big back to back water change to the main tank. take ornaments out and disinfect..

i would probably start the salt off in 0.05% incriments to avoid further shock, raise the heat slowly to 78F and then when at 0.1% with salt, raise heat to 80F i would then look at an antibiotic to fight the secondary infection

i am so sorry this happened.. your friend will need a stern talking to. i would aslo insist they give you the entire routine they engaged so that you have a better understanding of what happened.

I'm unsure of how to add the salt in that dosage slowly. I have mountain dew so I can stay up all night to do whatever I need to do. I couldn't talk to her when I got home, they all looked dead in the tank so I removed and separated them. I am amazed they are still alive.

alex, i have concerns with the fish displaying lifted scales.. my gut instinct is to not expose that fish to .3% salt yet.. but in a very mild dose to see how it handles it first.. what do you think?

I'm so sorry. that's awful! Hope your remaining fish recover :(

Forgot to mention - The red oranda is missing several scales on one side and looks raw there, not red and inflamed, just scale-less. If that effects the salt.

Alex and other mods I am sorry for the multiple alerts. I don't handle stress well I guess. I am so sad.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? All she said to me was that the large yellow oranda was sitting on the bottom a little but everything else was fine. WTF?

:blowup:

Edited by GreenTea

alex, i have concerns with the fish displaying lifted scales.. my gut instinct is to not expose that fish to .3% salt yet.. but in a very mild dose to see how it handles it first.. what do you think?

That's fine. Let's bring it to 0.1%, and then to 0.15%, so that the ich killing can begin. In a day or two, we can bring it up to 0.3%, after the Metro-Meds have gone in the system...

alex, agreed.

greentea.. don't worry for missing scales atm.. the salt should help to clear all that up.

i say there may have been a PH crash also from the loose slime coat on your fish. keep buffer or baking soda at hand in case we need to use it to stabilize PH..

remember, when you're feeding the MM's they need to consume 1% of their body weight.. but at first, get them eating as much as they can fit in. we will worry about weights and all that stuff once the salt is added and the situation with you and fish has calmed a little..

deep breaths.. you're home now, they are in the best possible hands they can be in :heart

Sorry now you seem upset that I am upset. Sorry if I'm making everyone crazy. I'm working on the tank now and will check back, I did a 65% change but my back is starting to spasm so I'm refilling. I salted and will add the fish back in a minute.

.1 percent salt is 1 tsp/gallon right?

Edited by GreenTea

GT, what is the size of the tank they will be in? Once I have that, I can tell you in teaspoons or in grams how much to dissolve to add.

Yes, that is the correct amount of salt :)

Sorry now you seem upset that I am upset. Sorry if I'm making everyone crazy. I'm working on the tank now and will check back, I did a 65% change but my back is starting to spasm so I'm refilling. I salted and will add the fish back in a minute.

don't be silly! we're here for you and totally understand :heart

alex, agreed.

greentea.. don't worry for missing scales atm.. the salt should help to clear all that up.

i say there may have been a PH crash also from the loose slime coat on your fish. keep buffer or baking soda at hand in case we need to use it to stabilize PH..

remember, when you're feeding the MM's they need to consume 1% of their body weight.. but at first, get them eating as much as they can fit in. we will worry about weights and all that stuff once the salt is added and the situation with you and fish has calmed a little..

deep breaths.. you're home now, they are in the best possible hands they can be in :heart

Thanks Stakos... what could have caused a ph crash? Any ideas? It's been warmer than normal but the tank only increased to 78 from 75.

GT, what is the size of the tank they will be in? Once I have that, I can tell you in teaspoons or in grams how much to dissolve to add.

Yes, that is the correct amount of salt :)

It's a 55 gallon

Should I also remove the few rocks?

She removed the decor for some reason which were just silk plants, they were dry in a tub when I got home. I am really freaked out she's secretly a nut and did something weird to my poor fish.

52 level teaspoons of salt for now, please.

If your tank usually has good, fast, water flow, see if you can ablate it so that they won't end up stuck to the filter intakes.

I'm sorry you have to treat the main tank, but given that there's so much external parasitism issues that occurred in that tank, it needs to be treated. Do you think you can grab a water changer to help things out?

Everything that has been in that tank will need to be sitting for at least a week in very strong salt before being able to be used again. You can remove the rocks if you like, but they also will need to be salted.

Yeah I actually got a good water changer today so that's good.

What's the kind of the salt from the store that you reccomend?

Morton's Canning & Pickling salt. It should be in the salt section of most grocery stores.

024600010863l.jpeg