Houston, we have a problem...

emily5

A few days ago, I got a 55 gallon tank for my two goldfish (still small comet and common). I cleaned it out and set it up in my room. I switched some of the old filter media from my five gallon to a bigger filter for the 55g and started it up and tested the water a few hours later. Since the params were good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate), I decided to switch the rest of the media over and put the goldies in. A few hours after that, params were still good so I decided everything was okay.

I went over to a friends house that night and stayed for a couple days and asked my mom to feed the fish while I was gone. Well, when I got home today, I went into my room to put my stuff away and check on the fish. You can imagine how incredibly confused I was when I saw THREE fish inside my tank :yikes . I went to go ask my mom about the fish and she said it looked empty so she took a trip to petsmart and bought another.

Ugh, I was SO mad. Anyway, I've decided that it's a baby oranda since it has a small wen growth. It's about half an inch smaller than the biggest fish in my tank (3 inch common) and half an inch bigger than my 2 inch comet. The oranda looks very healthy no white spots, no fin damage, no floaty/sinkiness, and has a great appetite. When I fed them, i thought the oranda was going to get pushed around, but it was the other way around! It held its own and ate like a piggy. Its a little slower than the single-tails, but follows them around everywhere.

I guess my question is if an oranda can be kept with my single-tails.

Some people have mixed thoughts with fancys and single tails. I think as long as he can get food for himself and can hold his own you should be ok for now, ;) I am sure though you will get plenty of good input though. lol

i like your title name............lol i always start my sentences to my OH with that phrase lol

can we see a pic of your now 3 fishes? are they all similiarish sizes?

congrats on the surprise fish :) hope it didn't come with any nasties :(

and yes as long as everyone is getting along and no one is not getting enough to eat you should be ok :) there are several people here that keep a mixture,

please advise Mom that next time any new fish should be quarantined thoroughly before adding to the main tank in the future ;(