Sign in to follow this  
monkeyzero

Largest Oranda randomly died...

My largest and favorite Oranda died today. It was extremely weird and sudden.

We went out shopping and before I had left, I fed the goldies their usual sinking pellet food. Its the Lionhead Enhancer by Pretty Pond if that may help. I tend to lightly grind them because they dont fit in my littlest orandas mouth. So we were out for 3 hours. We came home and I see my largest oranda on her side at the bottom of the tank. Not moving at all. I freaked out and quickly checked to see if it was alive. No movement, no gil movement, nothing. Hoping for the best, I moved her into a 10 gal QT tank with quick cure to be sure that she doesn't get my other fish sick if it is some weird virus or bacteria. After I moved her I went to Petco to get my water tested.

0 ammonia

0 Nitrite

25 Nitrate

I never have had problems with my water levels as I do two 50% water changes weekly and have an AC 70 and AC 30 running. I just changed the water 2 days ago. Yes I have 6 fish in the 55 gal hex, but I haven't had issues with my params. Knock on wood. I haven't moved out any filters which I was told not to do by Dnalex.

When I came back home, no changes. Candenza, the oranda was still dead. I have hopes that she will perk up and be ok, but now her body is just floating around with the movement of the air stone in the QT tank...

Any idea what could have went wrong? I filled out the form to help. Any input? She was my favorite fish in the tank and it hurts to see her dead, but I am hoping for the best. :( :( :(:cry :cry

Test Results for the Following:
  • * Ammonia Level 0
  • * Nitrite Level 0
  • * Nitrate level 25
  • * Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) No idea. I didn't get this tested
  • * Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) Same as previous answer
    Other Required Info:
  • * Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? I believe Petco used API
  • * Water temperature? 73 F. It's drops to 70 F at night. Peaks at 74 F. But at 73F at the moment.
  • * Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 hex - for about a year now
  • * What is the name and "size of the filter"(s)? AC 70 and AC 30
  • * How often do you change the water and how much? Twice weekly at 50% each
  • * How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? 2 days ago - 50 %

• * How many fish in the tank and their size? 6. Ranging from 2-5 inches. Most are 3 inches. One is 2 inches and the largest at 5.
  • * What kind of water additives or conditioners?
  • * What do you feed your fish and how often? Flakes, pellets, or algae wafers depending on the day. 2 times daily.
  • * Any new fish added to the tank? Nope
  • * Any medications added to the tank? To the QT tank, Quick cure
  • * List previous issues experienced (dropsy, SBD, etc.) Nothing.
  • * List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. QuickCure in the 10 gal QT tank. Been about 20 mins. 10 drops for 10 gallon tank
  • * Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Nope.
  • * Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She was just laying at the bottom of the tank on her side.

Edited by Monkeyzero

Well the nitrate isn't exactly at 25 but the worker said its around there. If that might provide some help.

OMG HER GILLS ARE MOVING!!!!!!! But shes now laying at the bottom.

From what you describe, it is hard to tell. If there were no other signs, it almost seems like a freak accident.

BUT you need to keep those nitrates lower. 25ppm is a bit more on the high side, especially only 2 days after a 50% water change. I would do two 75% or larger water changes back to back next time, to get the nitrate as close to 0 as possible, and then increase the bi-weekly water changes from 50% to 75%.

You also might want to get your own test kit, it will be a life saver, and it will make it easier to keep the nitrates under control since you can test for them yourself anytime. Make sure they stay below 20ppm at all times. Below 10ppm would be even better :)

EDIT: Is she in fresh water or water from the tank? I am not sure how much the quick cure in the QT helps, but I would do a big water change, temperature and pH matched, and salt to 0.1%. Is there a filter on the QT?

EDIT2: Ok, I guess there is only an air stone. What is your water conditioner? Without a filter on that QT, I do not feel safe about the salt. Unless you have prime, then I would double dose with the water change to keep the fish safe from the produced ammonia, and salt to 0.1% to see if it helps her. Change the water daily, pretty much 100%.

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Fresh water that was been in the QT tank. It sits in my room by the betta tank. No filter.

I just salted to .1% and she is still moving her gills. :) Still on her side on the floor.

I will surely change up my water regime. I always though that a range near .25 would be fine. But I will definitely change things up. Thank you so much.

I hope she pulls through. And what makes is worse is that I can't tell if shes in pain or not. Because if she were I'd much rather euthanize her because I don't want her to be in any type of pain.

Edited by Monkeyzero

Should I do a water change in the QT? I salted before I read the edit. :/

I have no prime. :( I need to buy that soon as well as a test kit.

can we get a short video or pictures?