help please. fungus eating fish away.

kevb123

right.... had a bit of a nightmare.

bought 4 fancy's from star fisheries online from surrey to liverpool. 2 died within 24 hours,they were sitting on bottom panting then slowly slowed down and died.

1 was swimming erratically nose down and had white inbetween its scales on 1 side at the rear which got worse and then that part pine coned so had to clove oil him.

the one that's left had white fluffy fungusy looking stuff on its lip which spread to its tail after 2 days. i put in a hosp tank and treated with api primafix for a week but it's still there. the fungus has eaten about 3mm of its lip away and is eating into the tail.

any ideas what this is? and what i can do to treat it?

main tank

400 litre,tetratec 1200 + hang on back waterfall filter.

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

10 nitrate

steady 7.4 ph

23 degrees.

thx for help.

kev.

From your description, it sounds like it's columnaris, in which case, we will need to move very quickly, because this bacterium is fast.

Could you please upload some pics or a video of this, and show us the affected areas?

You will also need some aquarium salt, or any sodium chloride with NO additives.

I would go ahead and start the salting :)

You will need to salt to 0.3%, or 3g/L, or 3 level teaspoons/4 gallons. Make sure you dissolve the salt first before adding to the tank please.

Update us tomorrow on how he is. Signs to look for are that affected areas stop expanding, and then healing over.

that's what i thought,i read up on net about symptoms but another site said columnaris was fast acting and usually had red sores.

the fish was in with my others for a short while and they don't look like they have it although they were flashing last week and one is lathargic just hangs by top or sits but eats ok.

the fish in the pics has been in hosp tank for a week. it didn't seem to be removing the white fuzz so i used a cotton bud and neat primafix to wipe it off. thats why the fuzz isn't as prominent on pics but the tail still has it.

thx kev.

There are several possibilities when we have fuzzy things growing on fish, and it could be a fungus, bacterium, or parasite. Short of having a microscope, we just have to do our best guesses. Fortunately, one the best treatments still for all of these is a strong salt bath, which is what I would like to do.

Hi Kev,

Eek what a nightmare it must have been. I hope you contacted star fisheries - partial refund, replacement etc

i bought my fish from lfs, and during QT, i noticed he had the exact same cut lip as your black moor - it acts fast, and will slowly eat away at the lip - luckily he made it, but there were occaisions when i doubted he wud make it........but we fought it together......you must act quickly.

The white bit on his tail, again, the same fish had it, but he had it at the lfs, we kept going back, half his tail was eaten away, and we thought he was a gonna, but weeks later we returned, and the fish fought it off, and bit by bit his tail re-grew (we know it wasn't the lfs healing him). When his tail was 3/4 healed, we decided he was fighter and bought, and during QT, we noticed his mouth looked cut (exactly like you pic) the cut got worse and worse.......we fought like hell, and he's now 100% - his tail grew back fully, his lip not quite, but he eats well, swims well and fights with the other guys in the tank.

good luck.

thx coco,glad your fish made it :-)

yea it was horrible. star said they will replace the fish but said he was 99% sure it was my water????

i've had 3 living here for over 6 months and never had a problem.

the star ones were beautiful fish. was devastated watching them die. i'm just really worried in case my original fish or the tank are infected???

does fungus usually eat away at the fish? i've only been keeping fish about 6 months and have never had a problem.

i've been on practical fishkeeping site for a week asking there and all i get back is check your water????

told them waters perfect and said must have been the shock from hard southern water to soft northern? would gh dif cause this?

i've added some seachem equilibrium to tank to try and make it harder for next batch but think it made 1 of mine ill. been really lathargic for 2 days.

Kevb you really shud move this thread to the emergency thread, and fill the form out - everything about your QT and tap param

http://www.kokosgold...ncy-911-or-999/

the pic of the cut on his mouth looks identical to what my fish had, if you do nothing, it starts getting a red lesions, then strands of white thread (mouth rotting away), and part of his mouth etc

i've seen in the lfs, where they do nothing and the fish looses half his face etc..............its fatal

i hope i'm not scaring you, just telling you its very serious......and you have a battle ahead

I'm worried that he's lethargic......please stop pimafix, seachem equil, etc they won't do anything for it

mine was doing laps, back and forth, thru out his treatment, he really was a fighter, and i wasn't gonna let him down.

Edited by coco

coco, thanks for pulling up that old thread.

This particular thread does not need to be moved to 911, since I am already here, and monitoring it. :)

How is the fish doing today? Are you at 0.3% salt?

tap ph?

what water conditioner using?

which test kit?

QT size? and filter?

both star fisheries and that site(never been, but can guess) are just fobbing u off.

can you regularly post update pics, so i can see at what stage he's at

at the moment i'm abit unclear as to your QT setup

alex,

i find it strange that you're 'not' asking the usual plethra of qs normally req'd?

i also don't know why you say you are monitoring it, when; (unless you know, please enlighten me)

tap ph?

which test kit?

QT size? and filter?

I'm just trying to gage all the info?

and the person has a name its kevb 123

thx for your concern :-)

right my quarentine tank is 20 gallon with fluval u2 filter. has been up and running for about a year, my fish used to live in it until i bought big tank.

tap ph is 7.4 after standing for 24 hours form tap as are my tanks

ammonia 0,nitrite 0, nitrate 10.

using api test kits for all.

using seachem prime conditioner.

only put 7 t spoons of salt in yest will put more in today and tomorrow.

fish looks exactly the same today.

it's fin is up and eating as has been since got him.

thx kev.

• Supporter

alex,

i find it strange that you're 'not' asking the usual plethra of qs normally req'd?

i also don't know why you say you are monitoring it, when; (unless you know, please enlighten me)

tap ph?

which test kit?

QT size? and filter?

I'm just trying to gage all the info?

and the person has a name its kevb 123

coco hun.. relax a little.. there is much information given in the initial post for Alex to understand that Kev is down to one fish in the tank.. this tank can be used as a qt..

this information provided indicates a cycled tank:

"400 litre,tetratec 1200 + hang on back waterfall filter.

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

10 nitrate

steady 7.4 ph

23 degrees."

the pace from new fish to dead fish is extremely fast indicating columnaris..

we appreciate your input with your experience, but please find a nicer way to communicate.

thank you for your understanding.

• Supporter

only put 7 t spoons of salt in yest will put more in today and tomorrow.

fish looks exactly the same today.

it's fin is up and eating as has been since got him.

thx kev.

this is good news that the fish is not worse. it will take a few days before anything begins clearing up maintaining the pristine water params with salt at 0.3%. just keep testing ammonia. ammonia is known to creep a little when the salt is at 0.2% or higher. if you can test it daily, that would be fab..

good luck kev, and welcome to kokos :)

oh and the one with mouth prob is not lathargic, hes been swimming fine.

it is 1 of my original fish that shared the big tank with him for a short while.

should i start a new thread for him?

his tail is v droopy, swims an inch or 2 and then just floats. didn't eat this morn for 1st time since i got him

• Supporter

yep.. you can start a new thread for him.. but do it in the DnD section please and answer all the questions asked in the white box. it would be good if you can provide pics and a video also. you will need to share a little history as you did here as to why he has fallen ill, but otherwise, we can just take it as new case. ok?

just a bit of added info.

the fish that died suddenly were bought from surrey via net,over 200 miles away.

was told on another forum it could have been stress along with water being softer here than surrey and water being warmer etc. basically to many changes for them to handle stressed. although shop said they ship allover the world and don't have probs.

3 original fish shared the tank with the ones that died and are fine apart from 1 who seemed fine up until yest.

the ones that died were about 2 weeks ago.

the fungus fish is in the main tank?

main tank

400 litre,tetratec 1200 + hang on back waterfall filter.

0 ammonia

0 nitrite

10 nitrate

steady 7.4 ph

23 degrees.

and your tap water is 7.4 also?