Sign in to follow this  
Akari_32

What do you think about this stuff?

I'm currently feeding all my guys Aqueon Color Enhancing Goldfish Granules, and when I run out, which shouldn't be too long, I want to start them on something better (I have it out for Aqueon lol). I can't find any seemingly good Goldfish or Koi food, besides New Life Scectrum pellets that are the size of betta pellets, which does no good for my big guys at all. So I'll be posting foods I find/remember are sold locally, here in hopes you guys can find me a good one :)

Fist on the list: http://www.petco.com/product/2177/Hikari-Staple-Pond-Food.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductDetail_1-_-Hikari%20Staple%20Pond%20Food-2177

Also, has anyone ever asked PetCo to order them in food? I know you can order fish...

I don't like that food for the same reason I dislike the Aqueon: 3 out of the first 4 ingredients are starchy fillers. :no:

Yeah, it seems impossibly to find anything good for pond fish here! The Aqueon isn't *that* bad, I don't think, it's got whole fish meal at least... But I still dont particularly like the brand as a whole. Just their tanks and heaters lol

Well, here's a list of pond foods I can get here. This is the same selection available at every store, in some degree.

http://www.petco.com/N_45_92/Pond-Food.aspx?CoreCat=LN_FishSupplies_Pond_Food

My only other option would be to see if some one could order me in a container of Goldfish New Life Spectrum in larger pellets. Or get the stuff to make my own food... I'm a busy person though, so I'd rather not lol

Or, PetSmart has Omega One Flakes. But I don't like flakes.... >:/

You know they sell Progold for Koi on goldfishconnection. Much better than that stuff :thumb:

You know they sell Progold for Koi on goldfishconnection. Much better than that stuff

Fantastic idea, Koko. I had forgotten all about that!

You know they sell Progold for Koi on goldfishconnection. Much better than that stuff

Fantastic idea, Koko. I had forgotten all about that!

Im the Progold Queen.. or did you forget :wa:lol

It's not that I need Koi food, it's just that it comes in a more desirable amount than goldfish foods do LOL I've got two ponds full of hungry mouths. So if I'm ordering online, than the amount doesn't really matter as its typically sold in bulk anyway. Lol

I'll check them out, though. And Kensfish... And Amazon lol

Yeah but the Ingredience is way different... I know that progold doesnt use Ground Corn in there foods, thats a filler :o

Fish meal, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, fish oil, wheat germ meal, dehydrated alfalfa meal, potassium sulfate, dl-methionine, l-lysine, propionic acid (a preservative), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), vitamin A supplement, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin supplement, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, manganous oxide, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), niacin, ethoxyquin (a preservative), calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), cobalt carbonate, folic acid, calcium iodate, biotin, sodium selenite.

I think, after looking at this crap of a selection, I'll got to PetCo in a few weeks and see if they can get me a larger can of larger goldfish New Life Spectrum pellets. I don't need as much as is sold on line, but I do need more (and in a larger pellet size) than is sold in store, and that goes for about any brand of food I can find here, other than pond foods...

This is what I am currently feeding -- the 3mm size. It softens enough in the water that even small fish can eat it.

http://www.aquaticec...Growth-Koi-Food You can order it direct from the company, http://www.koisale.c...dex&cPath=77_87 but it's a lot more expensive for some reason.

Unless you go to a pond store, you aren't likely to find good food locally. On the other hand, once your pond is established, your fish are eating enough nourishing natural food that it doesn't matter much what you are feeding them. That 5 pound bag of food from Aquatic ecosystems, is actually cheaper per pound than the cheapest stuff you can get in the pet store, and this is highly regarded by koi people. I don't think it's a good idea to feed color-enhancing foods in the pond. Just nibbling algae all day will enhance color to the point of yellowing white fish, and adding extra (algae based) color enhancement can make it worse.

They're eating the color enhancing food because it's what I had at the time (given to me from my friend when I got my fish from her pond). I would rather them be put on something that is naturally color enhancing, but at times, begged cant be choosers lol

I wasn't criticizing your food choice, just recommending future choices. By putting your fish in a pond, you are already getting natural color enhancement.

Oh I know, I was saying its what I had at the time lol

Oh and yes, I do have a few pond stores around. And a Tractor Supply, about 45 mins away. But I can't immagine them having food in smaller amounts... I'll go check that lol

how did you go? i am curious at what you chose to buy re food for the pond?

I got curious and bored and made my own food LOL There's nothing good here. I did a trial run (1/2 recipe) of one with the Aqeon Pellets, and next time, since the fish are crazy about it, I'll get the small New Life Spectrum goldfish pellets and make a larger batch with those. Or two slightly different smaller batches... I like to mix it up... :)