Sign in to follow this  
thatfancygoldfish

Help adjusting a feeding schedule?

So lately after all these nutrition articles and food warnings have been released on Koko's I've been on this nutrition kick for Mango. I want to make sure he's honestly getting enough nutrients and enough amounts of food and I'd really like some advice from people who have kept goldfish for a while.

I have two questions:

Firstly I know that I should be feeding amounts according to a goldfish's body weight by percentage but at the moment I feel I would traumatise Mango too much to try and take him out of the tank in order to weigh him. (that and I do not have a digital scale, I have a dial scale thats not very accurate for cooking)

Typically when I feed pellets I give him about 5 (small sized) per serving. Is this too much or too little for a fish that is about an inch and a half in length?

My second question is this. I am trying to make a feeding schedule so that he gets enough variety in his diet. Here's what I've concocted so far. He gets fed twice a day typically unless he is given a vegetable on a clip (then I will leave it there for an entire day before I remove it)

Can someone please help me adjust this to make sure he's getting a good ratio of vegetables, protein and gel food?

The brand of Pellet I'm using now is Hikari Lionhead. Gel Food is my own recipe. Next month I am planning to invest in Repashy Soilent green and Pro Gold.

Mango's feeding schedule

Monday

• Gel food

• Pellets

Tuesday

Vegetable (clip)

Wednesday

Gel food

Peas

Thursday

• Pellets

• Gel Food

Friday

• Vegetable (clip)

Saturday

• Pellets

• Gel food

Sunday

• Pellets

• Vegetable ( diced pieces)

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! :)

The one thing I would add is on the days you feed a veggie clip, also feed pellets or gel food. Especially for young growing fish who need lots of calories, veggies should be an extra on top of the staple foods, not in replacement of them.

I think it would be worth it to get a scale, or borrow someone else's. Someone else with smaller fish may be able to give you a better idea of whether 5 pellets a feeding is about right or not :) I cannot even fathom what a 1.5 inch fish weighs :P EDIT: if you can get a weight on him I have a scale that goes low enough and the lionhead pellets and can weigh them for you to figure out the right amount.

Also, if you can break up your two feedings into 3-4 that would be better too. What I usually do is a feeding in the morning and then 3-4 feedings at night if I am around (if I can't be home to throw food in the tank every few hours then I lump it into couple feedings). Smaller more frequent meals are better for digestion and growth :)

The one thing I would add is on the days you feed a veggie clip, also feed pellets or gel food. Especially for young growing fish who need lots of calories, veggies should be an extra on top of the staple foods, not in replacement of them.

I think it would be worth it to get a scale, or borrow someone else's. Someone else with smaller fish may be able to give you a better idea of whether 5 pellets a feeding is about right or not :) I cannot even fathom what a 1.5 inch fish weighs :P EDIT: if you can get a weight on him I have a scale that goes low enough and the lionhead pellets and can weigh them for you to figure out the right amount.

Also, if you can break up your two feedings into 3-4 that would be better too. What I usually do is a feeding in the morning and then 3-4 feedings at night if I am around (if I can't be home to throw food in the tank every few hours then I lump it into couple feedings). Smaller more frequent meals are better for digestion and growth :)

Thanks Tithra! That's fantastic advice!!! I'll make sure he gets pellets too and adjust his feeding schedule to 4 meals instead of two! I can definitely do that before and after work. As for veggie clip and pellets I can also do both!

When I get paid I will put it on the list to get an accurate digital food scale. This way I can scoop him up in a tupperware container and weigh him on it :)