Sign in to follow this  
tithra

White Aquarium background?

I wasn't quite sure where to put this question...

Has anyone ever had a white aquarium background? Anyone know where you would buy one?

Is white a crazy idea?? I just want to see what it would look like :D

don't think it's a crazy idea,.............

With white, and since your fish are NOT skiddish from being new ~~ should be ok~~with new fish I think white tends to startle them....My experience anyways.............. ;)

don't think it's a crazy idea,.............

With white, and since your fish are NOT skiddish from being new ~~ should be ok~~with new fish I think white tends to startle them....My experience anyways.............. ;)

have you had white before? I cannot for the life of me find a picture of a tank with a white background online or even find anyone talking about it. I really liked the way my tank looked without a background and just the white wall behind it, but I put up the black background because I now have a big UV sterilizer that looks terrible showing in the back. I am wondering if a white background would have the same general effect as having the white wall behind my tank did.

There was a member who painted their tank a shade of white, and it looked amazing. If you didn't want to paint your tank, maybe you can find a wrapping paper you like. :)

There was a member who painted their tank a shade of white, and it looked amazing. If you didn't want to paint your tank, maybe you can find a wrapping paper you like. :)

I may have to try paper just to get a feel for how it would even look. I am really surprised that you can't buy white backgrounds online... seems odd.

MOST people do not due the white background thing............cause think about it most of their fish are NEW~~~

yes it would be pretty much the same as a white wall,

Most have darker backgrounds because the fish TEND to feel safer............I too have tried the paper for backgrounds and found that they (in time) just get wet............

A neat idea I have had for a background but never did it~~~remember the OLDER table place mats that were like a piece of paper in-between laminet .............that would work......kinda like people use to do with the ole S.S. cards...............only placemats.............that way when using as a background wouldn't get ruined from water................. :clapping:

Edited by Sharkbait3

I have the white and black background on my goldfish tank. I love how clean it looks.

I have the white and black background on my goldfish tank. I love how clean it looks.

you have a white background? I thought yours was black. Would you mind posting a pic? Where did you get it?

I have herd you can get the white background look from the poster boards at micheals or get a presenter board that is white too. I thought of painting my 55 gallon with a white background just i get board easily lol.

I have herd you can get the white background look from the poster boards at micheals or get a presenter board that is white too. I thought of painting my 55 gallon with a white background just i get board easily lol.

I know, that's my worry. I would paint, but I redecorate way too often! I'd like to try it out first. Maybe I will take a trip to michael's tonight.

you have a white background? I thought yours was black. Would you mind posting a pic? Where did you get it?

It is on my smaller tank. It is wrapping paper lol so mostly white with a black design.

It is on my smaller tank. It is wrapping paper lol so mostly white with a black design.

ah I gotcha :)

Just paint the the back of the tank white.

A white background is a really interesting idea! Please post pics if you try it Tithra. I do think it would probably have the same effect as a white wall behind the tank...

A white background is a really interesting idea! Please post pics if you try it Tithra. I do think it would probably have the same effect as a white wall behind the tank...

If I figure out how to do it I will post pics. Seems like there must be a reason people don't regularly use white as a background! :P

Black is most popular for planted tanks, as it accents the green so well, and blue (which is the color most people associate with water in the ocean--another factor I an sure) makes the fish "pop". But, you can buy ADA tanks that are sandblasted on the back, which gives them a matt white look that I liked when I saw it in Japan. I have used kitchen parchment paper on the backs of my many of my tanks at one time or the other and liked the effect. The only challenge is that tape doesn't stick to it well--I've always meant to try roughing it up a bit with a fine grit sandpaper first to see if that helps. A plan never executed simply because I never have any sandpaper when I think of it, lol.

Black is most popular for planted tanks, as it accents the green so well, and blue (which is the color most people associate with water in the ocean--another factor I an sure) makes the fish "pop". But, you can buy ADA tanks that are sandblasted on the back, which gives them a matt white look that I liked when I saw it in Japan. I have used kitchen parchment paper on the backs of my many of my tanks at one time or the other and liked the effect. The only challenge is that tape doesn't stick to it well--I've always meant to try roughing it up a bit with a fine grit sandpaper first to see if that helps. A plan never executed simply because I never have any sandpaper when I think of it, lol.

Interesting! Thanks for the info :) The sandblasted back sounds really cool!

Interesting! Thanks for the info :) The sandblasted back sounds really cool!

It is rather nice, you get a diffuse light with it that is very attractive--like frosted glass. The parchment paper gives kind of the same look. ;)

I don't clean the back wall of my tank, so I would fear that a white background would look dirty. I like the frosted/sandblasted glass idea. :)

Rustoleum makes a frosted glass spray paint! http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0009XCKBA I wonder if that would make the same effect....hmmm

Oh--that's interesting! Whle looking at that, I saw underneath a frosted glass window film product. If you get one like that that clings--and could be peeled off--it would be way to try out the look and it should be fine if water gets splashed on it, too. I had something like that several years ago that I cut and put in the glass panels of a porch door, and it peeled right off when I moved out. I had forgotten all about that!

Here are some: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=frosted+galss+window+film

Edited by spillie

Rustoleum makes a frosted glass spray paint! http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B0009XCKBA I wonder if that would make the same effect....hmmm

Oh--that's interesting! Whle looking at that, I saw underneath a frosted glass window film product. If you get one like that that clings--and could be peeled off--it would be way to try out the look and it should be fine if water gets splashed on it, too. I had something like that several years ago that I cut and put in the glass panels of a porch door, and it peeled right off when I moved out. I had forgotten all about that!

Here are some: http://www.amazon.co...lss+window+film

oooh that looks really interesting too! I like that it would be removable.

This thread is just full of good ideas! Come to think of it, I need something like a frosted glass background for my dart frog vivarium. The plant-covered background I made only goes halfway up the back, so the wall color shows through. It used to be in front of a white wall, so it looked fine, but now that we moved it's in front of a pink wall (haven't gotten around to repainting yet!) and it looks terrible. A frosted glass looking background would be perfect!