Sign in to follow this  
Primus

Can fish eat this bug?

I'm can't tell you how long I've been dry heaving when I found this horrible monster in an old gravel cleaner today.

2mqlycl.jpg

Oh my fragging god, you can see its eyes.

Can fish (more specifically goldfish and angelfish (if it's too large for just goldfish [then I'll have to cut it up oh god])) eat this? Is it safe? I don't want my goldfish to die knowing this alien killed them. ):

And what IS it?

Also, the coincidence of my captcha I had to type in during uploading:

nqdz53.png

Edited by Primus

Looks like a cockroach of some type to me~~~~they can carry lots of disease..............so I would just pitch it, and not feed it to any fish.....It probably crawled in the old gravel cleaner............I would just throw it away............. :no:

Thanks, shark.

Insert more gagging here as I go to remove it. D:

I definitely would not feed random bugs to any pet fish. You never know if they could be carrying parasites or if they are toxic. Better safe than sorry! :)

I agree. Looks like a roach to me. And if it is a small roach, I would keep an eye out for others. Small roaches can mean an infestation while big ones just came from outside. My family personally had to deal with german cockroaches. Such a pain in the butt.

I feed bugs to my guys whenever I find them, and they never have any trouble with it. Mostly crickets, spiders, and caterpillars from the garden.

hello GreenTea,

how ya doin ? :D

Hi I'm doing pretty good, back in Seattle from vacation but not home in Vancouver yet. My new chocolate ryukin got ich while I was gone - he is in QT, but still, so I may go home tomorrow (early) to get back to my fish and cat who I miss very much!

I agree. Looks like a roach to me. And if it is a small roach, I would keep an eye out for others. Small roaches can mean an infestation while big ones just came from outside. My family personally had to deal with german cockroaches. Such a pain in the butt.

Oh god, you're bringing fear into me. Like, Slenderman fear over here. I don't know how to get rid of one. This one was dead. It's pretty small. D:

This is its size compared to a 50ft pipe Gravel Cleaner. I can't remember the name of the actual brand...

2ibhnr4.jpg

Eeew ew cockroaches are so disgusting I hope you dont have an infestation! Keep your eye out, look for droppings...

Also....

slenderman

:peeka

Edited by GreenTea

hello GreenTea,

how ya doin ? :D

Hi I'm doing pretty good, back in Seattle from vacation but not home in Vancouver yet. My new chocolate ryukin got ich while I was gone - he is in QT, but still, so I may go home tomorrow (early) to get back to my fish and cat who I miss very much!

I'm sorry your baby has ich.. :(.............here's to getting rid of it.. :hi5..........hope you enjoyed yourself tho............I sure bet the pets will be glad to see you too ~............... :D

Eeew ew cockroaches are so disgusting I hope you dont have an infestation! Keep your eye out, look for droppings...

Also....

slenderman

:peeka

IS THERE NO PLACE WHERE BUGS CANNOT INTRUDE?!? :crying:

You cannot escape Slenderman.

Even if there is a brick wall in the way. :hide:

you don't have to worry so much now with plastic bags.......but the brown paper bags you use to get at the grocery store was a good place for roaches to hid...........they would hitch a ride home in the paper bag !...... :yikes

you don't have to worry so much now with plastic bags.......but the brown paper bags you use to get at the grocery store was a good place for roaches to hid...........they would hitch a ride home in the paper bag !...... :yikes

Ew, ew, EW, that's horrifying. It's a good thing I don't do the shopping, and my parents dispose of paper bags (if they happen to get them) minutes after they unload stuff.

I don't know how this one found its way into my room. I don't drop any food, and the place I rarely eat at is not close to where I found it. It was camping out in the cleaner next to my two 10 gallon tanks, dead. Sussspiciousss.

Keep your eyes out for droppings near warm places. In my house, they loved my canister motors, external filter motors (my old tetra whisper filters), air pumps, diswasher and fridge. The dishwasher was the worst!

Oh, certain roaches will eat paper, toothpaste, etc.

Edited by ashlee18

Good Lawd...I used to work in the grocery biz for years...I never heard of roaches in the grocery bags AT THE STORE. If your store has bugs hitchhiking home with you might need to change stores!!! :krazy:

It's not a roach. It's some sort of longhorn beetle. (look up images of "brown longhorn beetle").

If you put up more pictures of the top and from different angles, I may be able to ID it better for you.

I've been studing bugs for more than 15 years, so I have some knowledge on the topic. :D

Good Lawd...I used to work in the grocery biz for years...I never heard of roaches in the grocery bags AT THE STORE. If your store has bugs hitchhiking home with you might need to change stores!!! :krazy:

that was YEARS ago................. :)

It's NOT a roach.

Calm down! xD

It's a beetle. I'm not sure of their specific names but here I just call them 'clicker' beetles.

In life if you pick them up they click their body segments together to try and scare you and launch themselves away.

The poor thing probably got into your house, and without a food source it curled up and died.

Acro is probably right on the name. DEFINITELY no roach. :P

On a completely off topic, it's nice to know that someone else who enjoys the twisted humor of invader zim ironically gets creeped out by bugs. *high five for weak stomachs* :lol

Drowsy,

You may be right, it may be a click beetle. The large eyes make me think it's a longhorn beetle though. Either way, if we had better pictures, at least one from the top, it could be IDed better. But for sure, not a roach.

:D

Drowsy,

You may be right, it may be a click beetle. The large eyes make me think it's a longhorn beetle though. Either way, if we had better pictures, at least one from the top, it could be IDed better. But for sure, not a roach.

:D

Yeah, that looks about right. xD I swear I've had them do the same click thing to me before. but mostly they just bite me if I try to hold them still. so I avoid that. lol

But heck if I know! I don't study bugs like you do, I just appreciate them and catch them to look at when I can. I just know what I've experienced.