Sign in to follow this  
Akari_32

Sexing Fancies

So, Smurfishy posted this photo in one of their threads, and I was wondering, does this apply to all Fancies, regardless of age?

goldfish-sexing.jpg

It's seems too simple, I guess. Too good to be true lol I just figured, because of their awkward round shape, I'd just have to wait and see if any of them developed breeding start at some point in their life, as I know with single tails, usually you can look at the area before their vent and see if it pudges out for female, or curves in for male (not that I find this to work for me, as all my fish are fatties.... And I have the untrained eye lol).

Goldfish are simple creatures. Why does it need to be complicated? Lol

I'm that person that over thinks things LOL I can't help it XD

So, so that's really all that's to it? =D

I am not at ALL experienced... but, what I can tell you from observing my fish is that the males will start doing practice spawning chases to the females even before they develop breeding stars. Mine started these shenanigans when they were as little as an inch and a half long, and they have since grown some and developed breeding stars to reinforce this, so, to me it has been pretty accurate. I don't know if this is the norm from what others have experienced- but, to me, looking for the breeding chase to start has been the biggest indicator as to who is male or female before breeding stars develop. I don't see any difference in their vents, even if I look, but, I don't know what I'm looking for, even with diagrams... and they NEVER sit still long enough for me to really get a good gander at their business.

If my guys would ever stop popping and moving long enough for me to look, I might actually be able to take a shot at it LOL

Brain and Sir Swimmy McNibblekins take turns chasing and bothering eachother, so going by that doesn't help in my case lol

You actually have to pick them up to study them. If you don't do this often, it's not an issue to pick them up.

Ooh, i did it =D I'm in the process of putting them into their pond, so I took them out side (they are in a 3 gallon Kritter Keeper for the process) and I picked up Sir Swimmy McNibblekins first (easiest to catch, hardest to hold -_-) and he has an "outie" so he's actually a she, and then I picked up Brain and he has an "innie" so he's still a he LOL Ooooh, I'm so excited! =D They're floating in the pond now, in the Kritter Keeper :)

Haha, that means babies! Lol In however many year...

bet it will come sooner than you think~~~~ :clapping:

They're only like 2 inches long, though lol