Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Soon to set up new Quarantine or Breeding tank, best way?

Hello! I will be setting up a 10 gallon tank for either Quarantine or a breeding tank. Maybe one first and afterwards the other. What I would like to know is a good way to get the tank cycled and going? What kind of filter would be best? My taps ammonia is at 1.0ppm and it's pH is 8.5. I don't expect to have a huge influx of new fish, so after I get them would it be ok to use it for a breeding tank? I plan on getting 1 or 2 more goldies (oranda or ranchu) and about 6 mollies a couple of cherry barbs, and cory cats, in a 20 gallon (Not a definite lineup, I have more research to do). But I do hope to breed if things work out. Would it be better to use the 10 for the mollies and the 20 for the quarantine/breeding? Thank you!

Is this a stupid question or is everyone busy? BUMP

That's way to many fish in a 20 gallons, and there are many great reasons not to house tropicals with goldies.

Hello! I will be setting up a 10 gallon tank for either Quarantine or a breeding tank. Maybe one first and afterwards the other. What I would like to know is a good way to get the tank cycled and going? What kind of filter would be best? My taps ammonia is at 1.0ppm and it's pH is 8.5. I don't expect to have a huge influx of new fish, so after I get them would it be ok to use it for a breeding tank? I plan on getting 1 or 2 more goldies (oranda or ranchu) and about 6 mollies a couple of cherry barbs, and cory cats, in a 20 gallon (Not a definite lineup, I have more research to do). But I do hope to breed if things work out. Would it be better to use the 10 for the mollies and the 20 for the quarantine/breeding? Thank you!

The best way to get a QT going is just to grab some cycled media from your main tank and put it in your QT filter. You do not need to have your QT up and running always, just grab some media and set it up when you need it :) (but don't put QT media back in the main tank). I usually keep an extra bag of ceramic media in one of my main filters explicitly for this purpose.

If you are QTing goldies the 10x filtration rule applies. I like the aqua clear filters best. I use an AC70 on my 20 gallon QT. It is a little over 10x, but you can adjust the flow on the ACs to get more or less as needed. I would also suggest switching to Seachem Prime (if you don't use it already), it's a great water conditioner and will help with the 1 ppm tap ammonia.

You could certainly use the tank for breeding (if it's adequate size), however you should always have access to a QT set up just in case you have a sick fish and need it asap. You can use a 10-20 gallon sterilite storage tub with a filter for this purpose if you want to set up your 20 gallon as a breeding tank.

Are you planning to keep the goldfish, corycats, mollies, and cherry barbs all together? In a 20 gallon? I am not sure if I am misunderstanding this or not. As Alex said, this is too many fish for a 20 gallon and they are not compatible fish. Goldies and tropicals should not be kept together, the cory cats in particular can cause serious problems because goldfish often will try to eat fish smaller than them and the corys have barbells that can injure the goldfish when it tries to eat them. There have been way too many stories of goldfish getting a cory stuck in their mouth... these stories end up in the 911 section of the forum.

Hope this helps :)

That's way to many fish in a 20 gallons, and there are many great reasons not to house tropicals with goldies.

My 2 goldies are in a 55 and the other goldies would be going in there with them, and the amount of fish isn't set yet. The mollies etc... would be in the 20 or 10, depending on what my research shows and if people think the 10 or 20 should be a quarantine tank or breeding tank. I forgot to put that in the post. >.<

The best way to get a QT going is just to grab some cycled media from your main tank and put it in your QT filter. You do not need to have your QT up and running always, just grab some media and set it up when you need it :) (but don't put QT media back in the main tank). I usually keep an extra bag of ceramic media in one of my main filters explicitly for this purpose.

If you are QTing goldies the 10x filtration rule applies. I like the aqua clear filters best. I use an AC70 on my 20 gallon QT. It is a little over 10x, but you can adjust the flow on the ACs to get more or less as needed. I would also suggest switching to Seachem Prime (if you don't use it already), it's a great water conditioner and will help with the 1 ppm tap ammonia.

You could certainly use the tank for breeding (if it's adequate size), however you should always have access to a QT set up just in case you have a sick fish and need it asap. You can use a 10-20 gallon sterilite storage tub with a filter for this purpose if you want to set up your 20 gallon as a breeding tank.

Are you planning to keep the goldfish, corycats, mollies, and cherry barbs all together? In a 20 gallon? I am not sure if I am misunderstanding this or not. As Alex said, this is too many fish for a 20 gallon and they are not compatible fish. Goldies and tropicals should not be kept together, the cory cats in particular can cause serious problems because goldfish often will try to eat fish smaller than them and the corys have barbells that can injure the goldfish when it tries to eat them. There have been way too many stories of goldfish getting a cory stuck in their mouth... these stories end up in the 911 section of the forum.

Hope this helps :)

It does help! On goodness no, I know that Mollies, cherries, and cories are from like, southern america and goldies from asia. My goldies are in a 55 and will stay in a 55! So would you say it would be better to use the 20 for breeding, and using the 10 for quarantine? i haven't had any sick fish incidences yet but I want to keep the ones I have healthy, and if I add another goldy i definitely want to keep it quarantined to make sure it isn't sick.

Ok good! Sorry to get a little preachy on you there :P I had a feeling that you weren't keeping them all together, but the way it was written it was difficult to tell.

If your fish aren't too large a 10 gallon is a great QT tank size and probably what I would go with just because it makes daily water changes really easy :)

Ok good! Sorry to get a little preachy on you there :P I had a feeling that you weren't keeping them all together, but the way it was written it was difficult to tell.

If your fish aren't too large a 10 gallon is a great QT tank size and probably what I would go with just because it makes daily water changes really easy :)

My fish are definitely not big! They are both around 2 inches. One is really small because I have a feeling their breeder kept them in a tiny tiny tank and it messed with his development. So I guess my 10 gallon will be the quarantine. Sometimes I have confusing writing because it is all in my head and I type so fast that not all of my thoughts come out haha