"Floundering" goldish

Cyprinidae

Hello everyone,

I recently got a new Wakin goldfish, (feeder tank rescue) and he seems really healthy except that he has a tendency to, as I refer to it, "flounder;" by which I mean he leans slightly to one side when he swims. There is no side in particular that is the problem, but when he swims he always leans to one side; usually it is the direction away from the back wall of the tank. He doesn't seem to have any trouble with his swim bladder (he can move up and down without using his fins), and he has no fin tears that might unbalance him. Could this be a parasite problem? I really don't know much about parasites, but seeing as he is from a feeder tank, it seems possible.

-The ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels are 0.

-The pH is 7.5

The problem has gone away over the past week (I did a 30% water change on Monday and Friday), but I would like to diagnose it if possible, so that if it happens again I know what is happening.

If anyone has any ideas at all, I would really appreciate it if you shared them; I am drawing a blank on this.

Thanks,

-Cyprinidae

A lot of times, toxic conditions in the water will cause a fish to tilt to the sides. There are possible causes, including kidney damage and/or infections, but if the problem has since ceased once you've brought him home and given him clean water, I am much more inclined to conclude that the original cause was bad water.

Is your tank cycled? How big is it? How many fish?

The above input is great, and I just want to ask one additional question. When he was tilting to one side, did you have a light over the tank, or did the tank get only indirect light (like from a window)? Just asking because sometimes goldfish will orient themselves so that their top is facing the light source, which sometimes means swimming a little sideways.

Edited by Sakura

Thanks! He has a tank light hood over the tank. I don't have a video, sorry.

I cycled the tank for three weeks before putting him in (I added bacteria to jump start the filter)

The tank is a ten gallon (I know that is really small) but he is only one inch long and I will be putting him into a pond asap.

The ammonia is 0

The nitrite is 0

The nitrate is 0

pH is 7.5

(no kH test)

He is the only fish in the tank.

I do 20% waterchanges every three days

Edited by Cyprinidae

I let the filter run for three weeks with the cycling agent, if it isn't cycled, I don't know what went wrong. I will check the water again.

In order the cycle to develop, you need bacteria and you need something to feed them to start the process rolling (ammonia, wastes). You gave the cycle a head start by adding extra bacteria, but if the tank is just running without fish or any source of ammonia, then your cycle isn't likely to have developed, having nothing to stimulate it.

I let the filter run for three weeks with the cycling agent, if it isn't cycled, I don't know what went wrong. I will check the water again.

In order the cycle to develop, you need bacteria and you need something to feed them to start the process rolling (ammonia, wastes). You gave the cycle a head start by adding extra bacteria, but if the tank is just running without fish or any source of ammonia, then your cycle isn't likely to have developed, having nothing to stimulate it.

yep, and just to add to that a tank typically takes anywhere from 1-3 months to fully cycle (although there are always exceptions to the rule ;) ).