What other Staple Foods can I use Besides Pellets or Mazuri gel

Guest Mike and Linda

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, let do this:

1) Feed one pea with 2 granules of Epsom inside.

2) Fast for three days

3) Evaluate before feeding anything else.

10 frozen worms is nothing, and it's very strange that the fish becomes floaty after that. Let's try to clear out the system with Epsom, and then fast for 3 days. Then we start to see what's going on.

Guest Mike and Linda

ok. He is the only one like this. He was ok from last nigh till now. I fed them all spinach last night and nothing else. We will be able to tell within three days without food.

Guest Mike and Linda

I gave him his pea but he only got one epson salt. he keeps missing the food then the salt keeps falling out. I did put a divider in the tank to keep him separate.

Guest Mike and Linda

I am just letting you know that I did receive my repashy gel food. I did not make it yet. I had to watch the video because the instructions are very confusing.

Here's how to you make it:

1. Measure out 1/4 cup of the powder and put it in a 1-2 2 cup container. (A measuring cup is fine.)

2. Measure out 3/4 cup of water and add to the powder.

3. Mix until it's all mixed in.

4. Pop it in the microwave. Heat on high for 2 minutes. Watch the food. Once it starts to boil for about 5 seconds, take it out. Stir well, and then pour into a mold.

5. Once it sets, cut it up.

6. Leave out enough for 1 week. The rest freeze, and then thaw as needed :)

Guest Mike and Linda

The question I have now. I have 4 types of repashy food. Soilent green, Meat pie, Shrimp souffle, and Community plus. I also have a salmon gel that I made with one of betty's reciepies. I use nls 3mm sinking pellet. Hikari spirulina brime, regular brime, blood worms, and krill.

I know that the blood worms and spirulina brime can make my Oranda floaty. Out of all these foods that I listed what could I use to feed daily?

I can make guesses from my own experiences, but unfortunately in the end this will depend trial and error.

The foods I have tried that do not cause floatiness in my fish: Repashy soilent green, Repashy community plus, blood worms, krill

The foods I have tried that will cause floatiness: NLS, spirulina wafers

I'm not familiar with Betty's recipe off the top of my head, so I can't really comment on that.

• Admin

Mike if it was me I would try the Soilent green first. Your goldfish might seem confused for a few mins, but once they get the taste of it they will go crazy..... :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I don't have a lot of options for my floaty fish. If I stay with repashy I could alternate the soilent green, meat pie, shrimp souffle, and community plus

I will do that. Can I feed that every day morn and night?

I do, with my larger fish. With the smaller fish, I give them Pro-Gold and soilent green, same as Koko, I believe :)

They get blood worm snacks a couple of times a week.

• Admin

My guys get progold in the morning... Soilent green in the afternoon then Progold in the night time. But Also Mike my fish dont float much. :)

So I would do the soilent green, try it out for a day see if it helps :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I tried my goldies on the soilent green and they all ate it well. My Oranda ate also but he is a gulper. He stays at the top taking in air most of the time. He is floaty again. None of the other do this except for this one only.

I think that fish is eating too much, unfortunately. Plus, did you fast him for three days as requested? If you haven't please do so now. He really needs this.