Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

What other Staple Foods can I use Besides Pellets or Mazuri gel

Guest Mike and Linda

I seem to have one Oranda who is floaty after i feed pellets or mazuri gel. What other staple food can I use?

I have ordered some Repashy gel

Guest Mike and Linda

I could use the Repashy daily then. Thanks

I could use the Repashy daily then. Thanks

I feed mine Progold and Repashy everyday, if that helps :)

Guest Mike and Linda

Does anyone have a baby food gel that i can use? I need to stop all pellets and Mazuri. I do not have any other type of food for them. i am waiting for repashy.

There are a bunch of recipes in my sig, and if you into the food section, there are hundreds of recipes, including gel food ones.

Guest Mike and Linda

I fed my Oranda spinach gel to day and sardine gel last night and he still stays at the top gulping until he can't swim anymore properly. He is fine without food. he is the only one that does this. Everything I feed him he will stay at the top until he gets really floaty.

So fast him for a few days...he really needs to get that gassiness out.

Also, the spinach won't necessarily work right away. You have to continue doing it.

I know. I read your posts on the other forum.

Guest Mike and Linda

This morning he was perfectly good. After I feed he gets like this. I can fast him 3 days he will be fine and then when I feed he will do this again. Is this just his nature

I use two forums because if I do not get a response from one I might from the other.

Edited by Mike and Linda

This is not just in his nature...what did you use to make bind the food, gelatin? Some fish do not react well to gelatin either. I actually don't like making gel food with spinach. It's much better to feed them pure well-cooked baby spinach leaves. It's not messy and it leaves out all other unnecessary ingredients. How much have you been feeding the fish?

This is why I really almost never answer threads that "shop" forums. There are multiple ways to approach a problem, and you're likely going to get ever slightly different answers. The key to successful approaches in anything is to be patient and be disciplined in an approach. When it comes to health and nutrition, there is no quick or easy solution. You know that, and this applies to humans, as well.

I use two forums because if I do not get a response from one I might from the other.

If I may be so bold in using another quote to respond to this. Ye of little faith!

When have we ever not responded?

Anyway, I'm not saying this to discourage you from posting in the other forum. Not at all. I am saying though that for any one issue, I really wholeheartedly recommend that you follow suggestions from one source, and follow it to the end. :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I use the knox gelatine to bind the gel. Fresh spinach i could do. I do feed him twice a day about two mouthfuls with no snacks in between. He has done this behaviour with the mazuri also. He does this with a lot of foods.

I don't mind staying with one topic in one forum so that it does not get confusing. Thanks

When you get floaty fish, there can be at least two distinct ways that they can get floaty:

1) Gas production from fermenting bacteria in the digest tract. This is usually a response to all those filler ingredients in commercial foods.

2) Overfeeding. You interfere with gas regulation of the swim bladder, since the SB gas exchange goes through the esophagus.

For these reasons, I really prefer to feed JUST well-cooked spinach leaves when the fish is totally floaty like that. You basically eliminate all other unnecessary ingredients. Feed only about 1 leaf at a time, but 2-3 times a day, if you like.

Guest Mike and Linda

Will do. If I can't get beby spinach would regular fresh spinach do? Thanks

That should not be a probably at all. Just make sure you cook it well, so that it rips easily. I usually just microwave it for a minute or two in tank water. Then, I just clip it on the side of the tank.

When is your Repashy due to arrive?

Guest Angelfish50

my repashy gel Maybe 10 days. They say that it has shipped.

Wow. That's a long time. You could just feed them spinach, frozen blood worms, brine shrimp etc until the food arrives.

Guest Angelfish50

The food has to cross the US border. It takes time. I will feed the spinach, bloodworms, and brine until the food arrives.

Another suggestion Mike.... I use canned Green Beans once in awhile to help with the floats and constipation. Some people just chop it up and put it in the tank, me I spoil them and take the bean seeds out and feed them just the seed in side.... I get the cans that are just beans (low salt or no salt) rinse them in water and them feed them.....

Just a suggestion :thumb:

Guest Mike and Linda

I will try the green bean. I did get baby spinach but they have a very hard time with it. I cook it for 3 min but when i put it on the clip they rip huge pieces that they can't eat. If I hand feed it they spit it out. I can't win with the spinach. There must be an easier way to feed.

May I suggest that leaving it to their own devices for a couple of hours, if you haven't done that already? There is a learning curve for them to learn to eat the spinach, but trust me, they will learn :)

Guest Mike and Linda

I fed my Oranda blood worms today and he is floaty now.

Did you feed frozen blood worms or freeze dried? Freeze dried is a no no.

How much did you feed?

I think for now the best approach is to fast them for 3 days, and then go with just spinach, in very small amounts until the floatiness is under control. Then, slowly work them toward normal food.

I would like to see how much you are feeding each fish at one sitting, and how many times you do that each day.