Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike and Linda

SanFransico Bay Frozen Foods

Guest Mike and Linda

My PetSmart has the SanFransico Bay frozen Plankton and Misquito Larva for sale and I was wanting to try this for my tropicals and bettas. Is this type of food safe to use?

This is what is predestined, that man comes to GOD through CHRIST. Peace begins knowing Christ (like this btw)

I have not bought any of those, so I can not adivise..........I know you can read the ingredients, I know what NOT to see in there !! :teehee

Guest Mike and Linda

What should not be in the ingredients.

What should not be in the ingredients.

Mike it should for those kids of food, just show thing like " Plankton" if it is just frozen stuff. If its got some other strange stuff besides just what it is, I wouldnt get it. I hope that made since :)

Mike, I tend to prefer Hikari frozens better, simply because the process they use to make their foods relatively pathogen free is a good one. SF Bay makes no such claim that they do anything like that.

However, I use this Brandt's frozen blood worms all the time, without ill effects.

Guest Mike and Linda

Thanks it makes sense. I use Hikari but I could not get those two items in Hikari here. I will stick to Hikari to be safe.

Mike, I do buy the San Francisco Bay on a regular basis. I use several different varieties, blood worms, emerald entree, mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, white mosquito larvae, daphnia.

Never had any issues with it, except for the fact that the emerald entree is quite messy. I HAVE to feed it using a "feeding cone" like this http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p-78549-61700-fish.jpg and drop the frozen cube in it, otherwise it will disintegrate and stuff will go all over the tank - mostly into the filters...

Other than that my fish love each of their foods, and the emerald entree is actually one of my fish's favorite.

One thing I have noticed in comparison with the Hikari bloodworms is that the Hikari brand contains more water and less bloodworms per cube than the SFB brand does. One of the reasons why I prefer the SFB. I know that Hikari states that they add vitamins and stuff to their bloodworms, but when you think about it, the majority of these added nutrients are probably in the water, and so of pretty much no use to the fish.

Fang, do you have the two mixed around? Hikari worms contain 6% proteins per serving, as opposed to 4% from the San Francisco Bay.