Omega 1 Gold Fish Food - WARNING!

well for me I'll keep using the Omega One~~~I know it contains Ethoxyquin, and will give as a supplement to the Repashy diet, Omega One has been around for a long time~~and we probably have been feeding our fishes Ethoxyquin for years and didn't know it................

Just like everything else...........in moderation.............over use of something will NOT be good.

But to those who choose to use Omega One, do so in moderation............and thanks for bringing this warning to light.......... :D

Edited by Sharkbait3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ PeterD

i agree with "...this is typical of researchers, nutritionists, veterinarians who have a vested interest in justifying the use of Toxic ingredients."

:wa , don't they know that by conspiring (directly or indirectly), people they love and their pets will "get" it too, its not just a paid job / career?!

well for me I'll keep using the Omega One~~~I know it contains Ethoxyquin, and will give as a supplement to the Repashy diet, Omega One has been around for a long time~~and we probably have been feeding our fishes Ethoxyquin for years and didn't know it................

Just like everything else...........in moderation.............over use of something will NOT be good.

But to those who choose to use Omega One, do so in moderation............and thanks for bringing this warning to light.......... :D

oh dear~~~this doesn't sound at all how I meant~~~

I too only feed the girls Repashy and pro-gold, along with fruits, veggies.............ONLY........

the rest of the tanks (mostly tropical) I feed omega one, although since this warning I will probably go with NLS or something along that line...

but first I will USE what I have~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~some are just new....................

Edited by Sharkbait3

• Admin

oh poo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks for the info alex~~~any suggestions of the type of food I should use for the tropical tank, bettas ????

:idont

Cushed Progold... Trust me :thumb:

oh poo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thanks for the info alex~~~any suggestions of the type of food I should use for the tropical tank, bettas ????

Will do~~~good idea.............would have NEVER thought of that....... :clapping:

• Admin

oh poo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will do~~~good idea.............would have NEVER thought of that....... :clapping:

I do this for TD's guppies. they get crushed Progold, tubifex worms and Soilent green :thumb:

Lol... Well as you've now successfully cancelled out all the vaguely decent pellet food available to me. I'm going to attempt to ignore this warning and keep feeding as I have been. x__x My gel food is just too messy to feed as the main diet.

Definitely makes me want to stop being lazy and make my own gel food... I've been feeding Omega One since I got my goldies a couple months ago :krazy:

I'd like to see some real data on this subject. The "toxicity to fish" is based on one study on rainbow trout that concluded the chemical was "slightly toxic." with an LD50 of 18,000ug/l. So how much is in a fish food which lists it as the very last ingredient?

.....however, I have no intention of doing your homework for you.

This bothered me.........

@shakaho :hug you're no slacker, one of the most thorough person on here that i know......

@ PeterD

i agree with "...this is typical of researchers, nutritionists, veterinarians who have a vested interest in justifying the use of Toxic ingredients."

:wa , don't they know that by conspiring (directly or indirectly), people they love and their pets will "get" it too, its not just a paid job / career?!

Hi CoCo,

You

're right as rain. I think it's corporate greed. Pesticides, chemicals and filler ingredients like wheat is cheap. I mean so cheap that importing things like wheat gluten China paying for importing it and all the taxes and tariffs and it's still cheaper than buying it locally. Wheat Gluten is an artificial way for pet companies to pump up their protein levels, it's awful stuff and usually the source of recalls. Corporations, the Law and most people it seems consider animals "property" and not living things and that's why they get away with murder quite literally,

The best we can do is to protect all the angels in our life regardless if they have fur or fins. If something is suspicious I avoid it. I'm not perfect but who is? we can only do the best we can. The guy I get my fish from over the past six years often reminds me that long before there was filtration, medications, supplements and the bazzillion products out there Gold fish were kept in large low clay pots. Clean water, fresh natural food and they lived an average of twenty years - these days that's a miracle.

The guy I get my fish from over the past six years often reminds me that long before there was filtration, medications, supplements and the bazzillion products out there Gold fish were kept in large low clay pots. Clean water, fresh natural food and they lived an average of twenty years - these days that's a miracle.

I doubt this boils down to preservative however and more towards better breeding and care practices when the fish are young. Goldfish were kept only by royalty in the beginning so the standard of care was probably much higher than todays mass fish producers. I think the real tragedy is not that there are preservatives in fish food (because even WITH them my fish still eat a better diet than me), but that fish are so mass produced that they often are lacking in good genes and are raised from fry in less than perfect conditions, to say the least.

Also, this is a bit of an off topic, but it is relevant to this discussion - there is no data that says that the average lifespan of a goldfish is 20 years. From the data I've seen, this number is a lot lower. While there is no question that some goldfish can live to several decades, it is a mistake to expect the vast majority of them will live to that venerable age. It's the same with humans. While certain humans can live to 100+, I don't think that any of us can reasonably expect to live to that age (except me, off course).

The guy I get my fish from over the past six years often reminds me that long before there was filtration, medications, supplements and the bazzillion products out there Gold fish were kept in large low clay pots. Clean water, fresh natural food and they lived an average of twenty years - these days that's a miracle.

I doubt this boils down to preservative however and more towards better breeding and care practices when the fish are young. Goldfish were kept only by royalty in the beginning so the standard of care was probably much higher than todays mass fish producers. I think the real tragedy is not that there are preservatives in fish food (because even WITH them my fish still eat a better diet than me), but that fish are so mass produced that they often are lacking in good genes and are raised from fry in less than perfect conditions, to say the least.

My point wasn't that the problems with Goldfish are all related to preservatives, pesticides and other toxic ingredients.

However, you do make an excellent point - in that over breeding for the pet trade has without question compromised not only fish but all domestic pets terribly. Consider the over breeding of dogs to meet consumer demand. In the early 80's I had an Akita a typical adult weight of 155 in his prime - he lived to 14 which is incredible for a giant sized breed.

As the Akita became increasingly popular Americans demanded them smaller, the breed has been ruined to the point that the Japanese cut off their breeding program with the US. The same can be said for many breeds, the Collie, Pit Bulls, Bull Dogs and too many others to mention. Th

is

is why I refuse to buy fish from importers. Importers are resellers, they are the puppy mills of Gold Fish. I buy from US based breeders only.

Thank's for your response

• Supporter

gelfood has been the only food i feed my fish since 2009..

i just don't see how difficult it can be for us "hardcore" goldfish addicts to pass it up to be honest. you can add ALL the good things, including probiotics, adjust the diet to suit the breed and make bucket loads of it for next to nothing that stays safe in your freezer packaged well for months..

the last batch of gelfood i made produced 3 different flavours/purposes... with one batch containing meds.

that entire batch cost me $15 to feed my fish for 2 months. not only is it economical, but i know exactly what goes into it, it's got no chemicals and the fish go absolutely loony for it.

i feel dry/factory processed foods are for less devoted aquarists. i know a lot of members here feed it to their fish and i am sorry if i offended anyone. i just can't see how a half hour of gelfood making every few months is a difficult option.

This why I refuse to buy fish from importers. Importers are resellers, they are the puppy mills of Gold Fish. I buy from US based breeders only.

Peter, this is an excellent point, and many of us have also been discussing this. The Chinese mass breeders of goldfish have a lot of answer for for skipping corners.

• Admin

gelfood has been the only food i feed my fish since 2009..

i just don't see how difficult it can be for us "hardcore" goldfish addicts to pass it up to be honest. you can add ALL the good things, including probiotics, adjust the diet to suit the breed and make bucket loads of it for next to nothing that stays safe in your freezer packaged well for months..

the last batch of gelfood i made produced 3 different flavours/purposes... with one batch containing meds.

that entire batch cost me $15 to feed my fish for 2 months. not only is it economical, but i know exactly what goes into it, it's got no chemicals and the fish go absolutely loony for it.

i feel dry/factory processed foods are for less devoted aquarists. i know a lot of members here feed it to their fish and i am sorry if i offended anyone. i just can't see how a half hour of gelfood making every few months is a difficult option.

This is why I make Gel food (but now trying Repashy food) and Progold. I have used Progold since about when goldfishconnection was open. Never had a problem except a few fish that got floaty :(