Funky wen Blue Oranda and Buddies 60gal (progression)(photo heavy)

Well first off, this has been a great site. On a random trip to a lfs I fell for this Funky headed goldfish and a intrest in keeping fancy goldfish. The local dude said it would be ok in my 12gallon nano. He was bagged and placed in our kitchen tank. Goldfish are easy I thought. I'm currently keeping Malawain Cichlids(180gal) and a 200gal Saltwater fish and live rock only. This guy is a real character. After a few months he was moved into a 60gal.

60 gal

Rena XP4

Rena 150wtt heater (set @72)

48" Powerglo light

IMG_0327.jpg

Nice wen! It has a very interesting texture too, more smooth like a pearlscale wen.

Exactly! It's more like what you see with crowned pearlies. May be it's an oranda/pearlie mix?

Nice wen! It has a very interesting texture too, more smooth like a pearlscale wen.

Exactly! It's more like what you see with crowned pearlies. May be it's an oranda/pearlie mix?

I'd love to see a side view, he doesn't look like he has pearls, but I wouldn't be surprised if he had pearlscale lineage in his lineage. Or it could just be a mutation, with the amount of breeding in goldfish I'm sure it's not uncommon! either way, very curious.

Opps...

Hes been in there about 2months and has grown alot. Curious about his wen. Is that normal growth? He swims well and can see.

IMG_0307.jpg

I few days ago I add 3 Ranchus. They were quarantined for a month in a 20 gal. Treated with prazipro, they had tons of worms. Also used aquarium salt.

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

Was concerned about about them losing black and blues so I also installed another bulb. 48" aquaglo. I read on here it helps to darken the black. Fingers are crossed. Made the orange and red colors pop alot. But also added a pink tint to sand.

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg

Anyhow, I hope everything works out.

5gal water change every other day with aged water

15gal water change on weekend

Fed hikari, NLS, algae wafers, peas, cucumbers, frozen mosquito larve and bloodworms

Trained to feed over sandy area

Is this enough filtration? I like it, its ultra quiet.

Photo tips with a point and shoot?

Better ways to darken fish?

He definitely looks like a possible pearlie cross to me, the smooth texture at the beginning of the wen along with perfect center divide are very similar to traits exhibited by crowned pearlscales. A well bred pearlie will only have a singular bubble with no divide as this is favored but it is much more common to see a wen divided into two like so:

4hgtzz2.jpg

5181816990_5b020495a0_z.jpg

last one linked for size!

as you can see the divide and the texture are very much like your oranda.

Sounds like youve got everything under control tbh, Kokos generally recommend 10x the filtration of goldfish so on a 60gallon tank you will want 600gph filtration, im not sure what the gph is on the XP4 but i would recommend a second filter anyway then if one fails your not left without filtration.

I would also up the the water change on the weekend to around 80% (48gal)

great looking fish :)

Oh wow,

The wen does look like those on the pearlscales. Thanks for sharing the photos Pearscaleperfect. The wenphotos is whatthe attracted me , very unusual. The kids named it, Flat-top. Do they often grow large enough that I'll have to trim? I went through a few articals on wen trimming and honestly, sort of freaks me out. They are roughly 3" body wise now. About how old are they? Im not planning on adding anymore. Went to the lfs to pick up 2. Then couln't pass on the orange guy. how long can they live in the 60? Also, do you think the oranda is stunted? I want to grow them big as possible. Been exciting so far.

Dodge:

Thanks for the advice. The Xp4 runs @450gal/hr. I have a emperor 280 I can throw on for now. Any quiet Hob filters? Having a back up is a great idea.

Egads, 80% water change. Perhaps it time to invest in the python. I dont have enough aged water for that. Treated tap ok?

Stakos and others. Thanks for the great comments. Its a pleasure learning about goldfish and enjoying everyone success and advice on Kokos.

Four in a 60 gallon will be fine for quite some time, especially since they are quite small. I've never heard of a crowned pearlie having it's wen trimmed, normally you want the pearlies wen to be as spherical as possible, so cutting it would add unwanted grooves. As long as he can find food there is no need to trim his wen, and even if his face gets completely covered many times trimming isn't needed.

Dodge:

Thanks for the advice. The Xp4 runs @450gal/hr. I have a emperor 280 I can throw on for now. Any quiet Hob filters? Having a back up is a great idea.

Egads, 80% water change. Perhaps it time to invest in the python. I dont have enough aged water for that. Treated tap ok?

Stakos and others. Thanks for the great comments. Its a pleasure learning about goldfish and enjoying everyone success and advice on Kokos.

python with treatment added to tank will be fine(i do this), my question is why do you age the water? this is quite important do you age the water due to parameters such as PH too high/low or Nitrate being present in your tap water?

Wowzers, those are some great looking fish! I love the tank too, but I'd like it even better if it had a plant. ;)

Yes, treated tap water out of the water changer generally is fine for goldies -- unless there's an issue with your water.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I hope your enjoying.

I use aged water for my goldfish so I can keep parameters consistant. Its a old habit from doing discus and saltwater. I have 2 55 gallon trash cans in my garage that I predissove my aquarium salt in. I also have a pump running in there and a heater set at 72. Its mostly a convinience issue. my off days I fill up 5gal jugs with top off water and place it near tank. It sorta forces me to water change the next day. Im on the fence about the sand at the moment, noticed a significant amount of debris when I siphoned this morning. Perhaps I'll thin in out alot. The 3 extra fish added quite a bit more mess with the extra feeding. I can see why the recommended water per fish is so high. I'll try to do larger waterchanges and hopefully I can put some size on these guys.

IMG_0515_edit0.jpg

Any tips on photo's? Point and shoot settings?