Is it possible for a Betta to "regrow" his tail?

LovelyChaos

I have an absolutely GORGEOUS double tail betta. I made the mistake of using a tetrasafe water decontaminate and it resulted in his tail and parts of his fins rotting. Lesson learned, I use only water left out for a few days. But now, it seems some of his tail has grown back. Is that even possible? He looked like a female after the damage was done but now he has that full male look and even some color back in the very bottom. I was very surprised! But I am so happy that my Yuki has his beauty back!

is it a double tail halfmoon ? My understanding is bettas (esp those with big tails) can bite there own tails out of stress and sometimes they just tail bite.........................but yes fins (if not too close to the body) do grow back.... :thumb:

Unless he was mismarked I don't think he was a halfmoon cause those were like 26 dollars and he was 9. He definitely had huge fins. He could have been halfmoon. All I know is I stopped using the tetrasafe and he stopped losing fin mass. It looks like some of them are curly. I can't get a good picture but I will try tomorrow. I am just glad his fins aren't permanently damaged... I have felt so bad |: I am really good with bettas! I kept one alive for 7 years and I messed up with Yuki ):

Using tetrasafe should not cause tail rot in betta, or any fish, and you should always use a water conditioner to remove hard metals and chloramines which will not evaporate when you let water sit. Bettas' tails can regrow, and quite quickly. Could we get some information on his tank setup, water change schedule, and some pictures? I find it highly unlikely that he had rot due to the conditioner.

I like the fact that you use water left out for several days.............kudos that you can do that...........We had a veil-tail that lived with us 5 yrs.

so 7 is very impressive

they have (in bettas) all sorts of "tail types" there is a post under bettas that explains the different types....I'll try to get the link up for you.......but I am NOT very good at computers so bear with me.............http://bettysplenden...w.imp?catid=857.............I DID IT...............(so proud of myself)

He has a 1 or 1.5 gallon setup with a small filter. Water change every month. No conditioners. I haven't had a problem with water left out for a few days to replace old water. My Sparky whom I had for 7 years never had any water conditioners used in his water. He gets fed betta pellets and bloodworms, he also has an under gravel heater for the colder winter and spring months. The water temp stays around 70-80 in summer, and 70 in winter with his heater. The only things that changed around the time his fins started becoming damaged were the tetrasafe and the heater. My other theory was that he got it burnt. Since the damage was uniform and even, I don't think it was fin biting, but either a chemical rot or burn... Since the heater was buried deeper and the tetrasafe stopped it has grown back very well. I am so happy that they are healing. I felt so bad I couldn't even look at him without feeling terrible. No extra lights, no plants, no additives, hes been doing fine so far.

I

I like the fact that you use water left out for several days.............kudos that you can do that...........We had a veil-tail that lived with us 5 yrs.

so 7 is very impressive

they have (in bettas) all sorts of "tail types" there is a post under bettas that explains the different types....I'll try to get the link up for you.......but I am NOT very good at computers so bear with me.............http://bettysplenden...w.imp?catid=857.............I DID IT...............(so proud of myself)

It appears the link didn't work but it's not a problem. I will say he was a very full double tail. He had the noticeable split, but not the noticeable halfmoon shape. If I can get a picture I will definitely post it. He is gorgeous and I love him so much. I thought he was going to die cause he didn't eat for a few days but he pulled through! He is mostly white with red points and tips.

The answer is simple, he got tail rot because you are not doing frequent enough water changes. A 1 gallon needs to be changed once every 3-4 days 100% waterchange. Monthly will cause ammonia build up and bacteria growth. Please, please, use waterconditioner. You're burning his gills if you don't!

I

so 7 is very impressive

It appears the link didn't work but it's not a problem. I will say he was a very full double tail. He had the noticeable split, but not the noticeable halfmoon shape. If I can get a picture I will definitely post it. He is gorgeous and I love him so much. I thought he was going to die cause he didn't eat for a few days but he pulled through! He is mostly white with red points and tips.

Just what I thought..............too easy.................. :no:

I personally keep MY bettas (2) in nothing less than 5 gal each, I have a 10 gal with a divider............. :D

Yes, betta need a lot more space to be happy and get the physical activity they need to really thrive and grow. Like Sharkbait, I keep my betta in divided 10 gals so they each get 5 gallons.

He has been completely fine for the last 4 months, even better actually. The tail rot happened last november, and once again in january, the only two months I used the aquasafe in the water. The ammonia levels are relatively low. My betta who lived 7 years never had any conditioners, tests, heaters, filters, got water change twice a month and lived in a vase (I was like... 9 I didn't know better). I do know better now which is why he is in a larger tank, though I can't get much bigger cause I live in an upstairs apartment and am pushing it with my 55 but I do know he doing very well. Actually looking at it now it looks like it might be a 5 gallon tank. I didn't buy it so I never really know. He is due for a water change though. Also, because of evaporation he gets a half water change too. Whatever the reason was for his tail rot, its not happening anymore, and I am just happy it can mend.

Listen, ammonia levels should always be 0 not 'relatively low'. Making excuses for not doing water changes by saying 'he's always been fine, etc" don't change the fact that he needs waterchanges weekly. He will get fin rot again if you don't keep his water extremely clean.

I'm not trying to make excuses, I am just a little confused as to why a betta would live 7 years without treated water, and another has to have treated water. I do acknowledge his water conditions need to get better, and I will do that, starting with more often water changes, but in the experiences I have had with my bettas never using conditioned water, doing twice monthly water changes, and never testing for ammonia, all of a sudden the fin rot is the ammonias fault, and you can tell without a doubt what caused it without seeing the betta. I do appreciate bringing his water quality to my attention and that will be resolved, but the original post was if his fins can grow back. You can rest assured he will receive more water changes. After discontinuing the use of tetrasafe in my bettas water, his fins healed. That I know for sure, he has had the same type water for the past 4+ months and has only gotten better. It is possible that west coast tap may have different contaminants than east coast water, which is the cause for the need to use water conditioners, but never once have I had a betta get sick because of its water. I have raised 5 bettas, 3 lived for about 2-3 years, 1 for 7, and 1 unfortunately passed very quickly because it was already sick. I appreciate the advice and will consider what I think is best for my betta as well. But I request no further on the topic of water quality, because I can safely rule out the water as the reason for fin rot as he has been living in unconditioned water for 9 of the 11 months I have had him and has only gotten better. I may test with other betta specific conditioners, but I am pretty sure he would be dead by now if the water was hurting him.

I can tell you that west coast tap is no different from east coast tap (I was in CA less than a month ago). I'm just gonna leave a link to a caresheet in case you get the urge to read instead of just blatantly ignoring me. [Link removed]

Edited by dnalex
To remove link to another forum.

I'm not blatantly ignoring you. Instead of attacking me you could try to be 'polite'. It just so happens that different states have different polutants, and east coast and west coast waters are very different. Even moving to Oregon I noticed a difference. California has harder water than Oregon. There is more radiation and rocket fuel in east coast waters. They are also usually softer depending on where you are. It is very ignorant to assume all water is the same and all conditioners are safe to use. I'm not going to pour in conditioners just because a stranger says its what i need to do when the only time a conditioner was used he happened to get fin rot and when the conditioner stopped being used he got better. I am sorry you feel ignored but if you can't express your opinions in a way that won't offend people maybe you shouldn't be on a forum giving advice.

I can assure you I wasn't being rude, so I'm sorry if you thought that. However most of the US uses chlorine and chloramines in their water, and many places have heavy metals and other pollutants in the water. So unless you know your water very well, and you know what it contains and that it never fluctuates, you should always be using waterconditioner. I'm not some mean stranger trying to cause your fish harm, I've been keeping fish for a very long time and I'll be graduating next year with a degree in marine biology. If you want to perhaps try a different brand of waterconditioner I suggest Seachem Prime. It's what many users on here use and I don't think I've ever heard of it harming a fish, in fact it's extremely hard to harm a fish with waterconditioner and many members on here 'double dose' with prime to remove ammonia that may be present in their tap water. Trying to stress something that is important and being rude are two very different things. I only want what's best for your fish, and I'm sure you do as well.

Is it possible to just close the post? I did get the answer I wanted to the original topic of whether or not they can regrow fins. I am happy that my betta will be able to heal. I have gotten all that I can from this post and would rather not risk continuing it (:

is it a double tail halfmoon ? My understanding is bettas (esp those with big tails) can bite there own tails out of stress and sometimes they just tail bite.........................but yes fins (if not too close to the body) do grow back.... :thumb:

I got a picture of him on my avatar! His tail was twice as long when I first got him but now he looks like a boy again (:

Sorry you're having fin issues. You are getting great help :)

There is a link in my signature to an article here about general betta care. It mentions tank size, and cleaning routines in relation to tank size. Hopefully you will find it helpful :)

Generally, a tank no smaller than 5 gallons is what we recommend. The reason for this is that tanks under that size do not provide enough space and also will not be able to maintain a stable temperature or water parameters. Tanks 2 gallons (unfiltered) and under should preferably receive 80-100% water changes daily, to prevent ammonia harming the fish. Ammonia present can cause a lot of serious ailments that can be easily avoided.

If you can't upgrade soon, then I would highly suggest switching to Seachem prime as your water conditioner as it will protect the fish against ammonia for a certain period of time. It will be best if you do upgrade as it will improve the overall health of your betta :)

Edited by Narny105

Sorry you're having fin issues. You are getting great help :)

There is a link in my signature to an article here about general betta care. It mentions tank size, and cleaning routines in relation to tank size. Hopefully you will find it helpful :)

Generally, a tank no smaller than 5 gallons is what we recommend. The reason for this is that tanks under that size do not provide enough space and also will not be able to maintain a stable temperature or water parameters. Tanks 2 gallons (unfiltered) and under should preferably receive 80-100% water changes daily, to prevent ammonia harming the fish. Ammonia present can cause a lot of serious ailments that can be easily avoided.

If you can't upgrade soon, then I would highly suggest switching to Seachem prime as your water conditioner as it will protect the fish against ammonia for a certain period of time. It will be best if you do upgrade as it will improve the overall health of your betta :)

I actually measured the tank and I found it is a 5 gallon! What a great accident. But that means its filter is too weak. I appreciate your advice! I didn't think to check my tank size until now. I have been hearing a lot about seachem prime. Hopefully my fish store has it!