Sign in to follow this  
LovelyChaos

Lyretail Mollies and Telescope Fish?

I was wondering if anyone has had luck with Telescopes and Mollies. I was hoping to get some lyretails and balloon mollies and I wanna know if I should wait to get my 20 back up and running or if they would be ok with my telescopes. I have never had fancy goldfish and I know that people in the real world have better advice than petco haha. Right now my telescopes are sharing their tank with 3 little feeder fish and there haven't been feeding or nibbling issues. The telescopes are pretty fast and the food gets pushed around with the filter outflow. I plan on possibly getting a ranchu or an oranda. My guys are about 1.5 to 2 inches.

my advice is I would HOLD OFF until you get the 20 gal up and running............beside having different needs (gold fish and tropicals) mollies are live bearers and the fry would probably be "Snacks"............... :no:

Nope. Unfortunately, mollies should be kept in brackish conditions.

What is brackish water? I forgot about the live babies, duhh. I will hold off then. They will go into my 20 as soon as i get it back up and running. Has anyone had ANY fish that go with telescopes?

Mollies actually are found from full fresh to full salt, and our pet store mollies are bred in full fresh and could care less about being brackish. ;)

They do however push 5 and 6 inches and can get major attitudes if they ever start to feel cramped. Its really up to you, if you ask me, though, they would like to kept at a bit warmer than room temp. :)

They are actually much healthier and have better immune systems in brackish conditions.

To the OP. Brackish is inbetween salt and freshwater.

Yay i learned something! Since I plan on getting at least 3 of each lyretail and balloon I will hold off for the 20. So I guess my next question would be should I get a Ranchu or an Oranda...?

I am not a fan of wens so for me it would be ryukin ................but if you don't mind wens then I would vote for oranda.... :clapping:

I quite like Orandas and have been looking. It would be named Ponyo! But I think the chubby shortness of the Ranchus are sooo adorable! If I get a bigger tank or pond i'm definitely going to get more Orandas and Ranchus! What is wens? I am pretty new, I just got my first fancies in February (:

Edited by LovelyChaos

ranchuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus!!!! Oh I love me my ranchus. They're just adorably derpy looking. Great little personalities and you just wanna pinch those chubby cheeks! :rofl

Wens are the bubbles on ranchu/lionhead/oranda/etc.'s head. It's what that growth is called. Orandas and crown pearlscales, for example have more of a cap-style wen generally...like they're wearing a little hat. Ranchus/lionheads/shukins it covers their whole head, giving them the chubby cheeked look. :)

ranchuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus!!!! Oh I love me my ranchus. They're just adorably derpy looking. Great little personalities and you just wanna pinch those chubby cheeks! :rofl

Wens are the bubbles on ranchu/lionhead/oranda/etc.'s head. It's what that growth is called. Orandas and crown pearlscales, for example have more of a cap-style wen generally...like they're wearing a little hat. Ranchus/lionheads/shukins it covers their whole head, giving them the chubby cheeked look. :)

Ooooh I love your fishies! I was going to get a Moor and then see if I could save up to get a healthy ranchu or oranda from rain gardens. The ones here are sickly and luckily my pandas were able to recover from the terrible conditions.