Sign in to follow this  
leross04

Does anyone have luck with ordering fish on the internet?

For awhile now I've been wanting to bid for fish off of goldfishconnections, or any place off the internet. What's been peoples experiences with ordering off the internet and whats usually the price range for shipping?

Check out this part of the forum there are several threads that might be helpful to you :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/forum/136-goldfish-auction-reviews/

Here is also a recent discussion on this http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/101104-whats-your-experience-of-purchasing-goldfish-online/

I bought my fish from raingarden.com and would definitely buy from them again :) But their fish are directly from the breeder (Steve) whereas goldfishconnection and goldfishnet are imported fish, so it depends on what you are looking for.

Raingarden's fish are typically less pricey than the importers (40-100 dollars for the fish, and shipping is 30-60 dollars typically). I think the shipping on goldfishconnection generally ranges from 60-100 dollars depending on size of fish, how many, and where you live. I don't know about shipping for goldfishnet but I would guess it's comparable to goldfishconnection

I got two of my goldies from raingarden and I would definitely order from him again. They were well packaged and arrived in a timely manner. And for fish, shippings pretty cheap. I just bought a betta from aquabid and he is being shipped out today, but he cost me 25, plus 5 to come from Thailand to colorado, and is transhipped to me from colorado for 38.20. So 68.20 total. Shipping snails or shrimp say though is usually like 10 bucks i think. I live in Fargo, ND. There's just not much selection here for fish other than big box stores. For me, online works really well...I'm willing to pay extra for more selection.

I bought my fish from raingarden.com and would definitely buy from them again :) But their fish are directly from the breeder (Steve) whereas goldfishconnection and goldfishnet are imported fish, so it depends on what you are looking for.

I thought that goldfishconnection was a breeder selling fish. No?

goldfishnet advertises $35 for two day delivery, or $65 for over night.

I've purchased goldies from both e-bay and aquabid. I paid $18 for two-day delivery with my ebay goldfish, and $90 for my overnight aquabid purchase.

As tithra said shipping charges really depend on size of the fish and your location. I paid $18 because I was only 6 hours/ 400 miles from the exporters location- and I opted for two day rather than over night. Over night delivery would have been $45.

Although it was cheaper, it stressed my lionhead a lot more and she came in with ammonia burns. I tested the water she was in and it was over 8ppm for ammonia. She has since healed very nicely, but I would next time go for overnight shipping if I order from ebay again.

As for how the experience was, it's been positive only because the people I've ordered from did a wonderful job in packing them and their stock was really healthy before shipping- and I was also prepared in both time and supplies to do daily maintenance in their quarantine. The stress of shipping can really harm a goldie and their best chance is really their initial health, and your diligence to maintain their environment afterwards.

It's definitely a costly venture but well worth it for something unique and hard to find, and more importantly something you'll appreciate keeping.

I recently purchased a betta off of Ebay, the dealer lived in OH and I live in OH (about 2 hours away).......the betta cost me 8$ and the shipping 10$.

he (Gems)was packed well, and I received him the next day, although packed well and delivered well I don't think I'll get anymore fish on-line.............

I felt so sorry for him, but that's just me an old softy......................... :D

nope, they are imports... primarily from china I believe (some probably come from japanese and thai breeders as well, but I don't know)

nope, they are imports... primarily from china I believe (some probably come from japanese and thai breeders as well, but I don't know)

I was under the assumption the vast majority were Dandy Oranda fish. Pretty much all of the photos have had the DO watermark over the last few years.

The fish on the Goldfish Connection website are all Dandy Orandas fish, yes. But Dandy Orandas isn't a breeder, he just imports the fish from China and sells them in the US.

All DO fish are Chinese imports. He's changed suppliers at least one time the last two years.

Huh, that does make a lot more sense.

I guess I assumed Ken was breeding some himself still. I recall he used to breed and sell orandas (Hence being Dandy Orandas) while also importing and selling at the same time. Thats a little bit sad, sometimes I think I would like to see a bit more of breeders buying, selling and trading within a country (Raingarden style) to keep this a feasible hobby for the small time breeders and keepers here, rather than the huge reliance on imports to feed the goldfish (and aquaria in general) hobby. I suppose it’s not as cost effective as imports though, as raising fish in the USA is more costly. :undecided:

That's really interesting. I never knew that Ken used to breed orandas, and from the way he's spoken of them before, I would never have guessed that he would have bred them.

DO used to belong to Joanne Burke, and Ken bought the business from her, I believe. But this would have been a very long time ago.

That's really interesting. I never knew that Ken used to breed orandas, and from the way he's spoken of them before, I would never have guessed that he would have bred them.

DO used to belong to Joanne Burke, and Ken bought the business from her, I believe. But this would have been a very long time ago.

You are correct. It was owned by Joanne first :)

I've made one exception and purchased a goldfish from an auction site. That aside I will never do so again - on principle.

1) Imports from China are bred for the Pet Trade they are genetically compromised. They're fattened up for sale with hormones and the fish pay a dire price as do the people who shell out a minimum 5,000 percent markup do by getting stuck with fish that under the best of circumstances are doomed to die - and die quickly

Importers, wholesalers, resellers be they LFS or Auctions are the Puppy Mills of the Goldfish trade. They're not in it for the love of the fish, they don't invest in what it would take to set up a quality breeding facility. They invest in more warehouse space so they can accommodate more product.

Auctions particularly disgust me. On alibaba.com the average cost for mid to mature Fancy Goldfish imported from China on an average MOQ (Minimum order quantity) is about $6 -$8 per fish. Not including Transport fees , taxes and tariffs. In addition, most auction sites list the starting bid with an enormous profit already built in - everything else is gravy.

At least eBay has a sophisticated auction algorithm that protects the consumer from shill bidding and bogus bids. Unlike the already outrageous and greed driven agenda of independent on line auctions. Shipping is beyond price gouging an $18.00 overnight package for $75 - really? how low can people go? How far down in the sewer can they wallow - apparently plenty because they have no shortage of customers.

2) I've dealt with Steve from Rain Garden for over six years. A dedicated and renowned Marine Biologist, whose passionate about his fish, he raises them on their family small farm in Hawaii from Fry to the point the ones he chooses are ready for sale. Like any good breeder,if you consider the cost of raising, feeding, weaning, caring, and the time spent both tending to the fish and working closely with clients - the fish are the best bang for your buck you'll ever find - period. Rain Garden shipping begins at $35, packaging is impeccable. The fish are guaranteed.

I have no vested involvement with rain garden, but I have been dealing with breeders for over 20 years out a hobby that's continued for 35. I would no more buy one of our dogs from a pet store where they feed the Puppy Mill nightmare than I would get a fish from a reseller whose interest in their bottom line supercedes everything else.