Sign in to follow this  
dnalex

Koi in a tank

Hello,

This video is not mine. I just saw it on YouTube, and thought it was pretty neat. :)

That really confused me for a second when the koi swam up lol. Very cool, though! :)

Ooh, that's really neat! I'm guessing he uses some sort of vacuum to keep air out/pump water into the tank?

I wonder how big the pond is, those fish are huge! :)

i've seen something similar but in a shperical form.. very neat idea :) i admit, the rectangular is more practical for the koi.

Alex, you gave me a heart attack. I thought someone had crammed koi into a tank! :o

Ooh, that's really neat! I'm guessing he uses some sort of vacuum to keep air out/pump water into the tank?

I wonder how big the pond is, those fish are huge! :)

Nope, no pumps or equipment needed to make one of these, but only the vacuum caused by rigging it up! :) Actually helped fit a few of the spherical ones before (I personally think those ones are ugly, though I love the concept… I do like this one though!)

If you want to see what makes this work in action, go to your sink for a second and fill it right up. Grab a cup and submerge it. Make sure it is full of water and all in the water. Now, pull it out with the open end down in the water. As long as the open end is completely submerged/under the waterline and no air can get in, you can pull it up and the water will stay in it. I can’t remember the exact name of the phenomenon (I’m sure someone will chime in with it though!) but it’s pretty cool and easy to do. If you had any large enough container and a way to mount it, you could do this with any pond or tank.

Generally people use a stick or net to put floating pellets into it (putting them in through the pond), to encourage the fish to go into it. :)

Thanks Amber. :)

Edited by dan in aus

Amber, :rofl

I knew someone would think that! :rofl

This is a neat demonstration of some the amazing properties of water, namely capillary action and cohesion.

I love it, it is so neat to be able to see pond fish from the side like in an aquarium.

But with these monster koi in that video, I half expected them to knock the tank off its support rocks LOL

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

That's such an awesome idea. C:

Now if only we could figure out how to make pipes fish can travel through like this.

Wow, that's really cool. What a great way to view your fish. :)

That is pretty cool

I love this video :) I have seen people do this with their tanks too and make them like a giant sky scraper of tanks lol.

Pretty cool. Pond does look way over stocked though.

Wow! Ive seen this done beforebut not in a pond. So cool :P

That's amazing!

i've seen something similar but in a shperical form.. very neat idea :) i admit, the rectangular is more practical for the koi.

Yeah I seen those too.... I agree this one is much better for the Koi... :thumb:

I love this video :) I have seen people do this with their tanks too and make them like a giant sky scraper of tanks lol.

OMG THAT SOUNDS SO COOL.

Actually it's simply a matter of the pressure (weight) of the atmosphere and the water in the tank. The surface of the pond bears the weight of the miles atmosphere above it. That weight would be balanced by a (closed at the top) column of water about 30 feet tall. A tank containing a foot and a half or so of water is easily supported. You use the same principle when you siphon. The the pressure of the water plus atmosphere in the upper container is higher than that in the lower container until the water levels are equal, so the water flows.

Amber's inverted cup is exactly the same as the tank in the picture, but unless you are a weightlifter you don't set up one of these by lifting the filled tank to near the surface (although one guy reported doing it on another forum). Rather you set up the tank upside down on a support and remove the air with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner. As Amber pointed out, most of the commercial versions of this use a round container that distorts the view of the fish. The tanks are nicer. One really nice material is a domed skylight.

Primus, pipes are easier.

Actually it's simply a matter of the pressure (weight) of the atmosphere and the water in the tank. The surface of the pond bears the weight of the miles atmosphere above it. That weight would be balanced by a (closed at the top) column of water about 30 feet tall. A tank containing a foot and a half or so of water is easily supported. You use the same principle when you siphon. The the pressure of the water plus atmosphere in the upper container is higher than that in the lower container until the water levels are equal, so the water flows.

Amber's inverted cup is exactly the same as the tank in the picture, but unless you are a weightlifter you don't set up one of these by lifting the filled tank to near the surface (although one guy reported doing it on another forum). Rather you set up the tank upside down on a support and remove the air with a wet-dry vacuum cleaner. As Amber pointed out, most of the commercial versions of this use a round container that distorts the view of the fish. The tanks are nicer. One really nice material is a domed skylight.

Primus, pipes are easier.

:bingo:

Wow that is so cool :) and those koi are so pretty :) :) thanks for finding and sharing this :)