Nerite Vs Apple Snail

I am enjoying my nerites. They have done a great job with the algae. I like the variety of colors and sizes. I have 7 in the 55 and 3 horned merited in my Betta tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I have two nerites I got from ebay in a small tub in quarantine right now... I have a tiger and a zorro nerite - they're too cute and also love hitching rides on each other :huh:.... lol

They're going to different tanks each (one for the 20g and one for the 60g), I have lots of brown algae, specially on my air tubing, so I hope they gobble it up... I might get one more for the 60g... I feed them algae wafers - just half a wafer daily in their qt and they eat it all up, so I'm hopeful they'll do their part in the tanks :)

Edited by KrystalPR

I forgot to mention that I had an apple snail for about a week, before he died (He crawled out of the tank and broke his shell :( )... I learned that I can't keep a tank without a hood if I'm keeping a snail in there! I liked having a snail, but he was a HUGE waste producer! He didn't eat my algae at all, but pooped little black specs that I could see floating everywhere! My nerites poop a little less and they're poo looks like normal fish poo LOL So I don't think it'd be hard for the filter to pick it up once they're in the tanks... :) That's why I vote nerites!

Edited by KrystalPR

I think I am going to get a Nerite for my diatomia problem buuuut have to take Jess's offer and hop over the pond and get one of the super cute ones she is talking about for another tank :) Those sound too cool to pass up. :P

Also Thank You guys you really helped with the choice and I learned a lot about them from this :D

If you are going to get a nerite, get the small one if you have plants (fake or real). The smaller horned nerites do an AMAZING job of getting stuff off leaves, and you would be shocked at how much they eat. The lfs recommended just one or maybe two in a 55.

i had some of the zebra ones in the tropical tank when it was up and i had eggs all over the drift wood :(

when I down sized to just goldies I had them in there for a bit, but they kept trying to get out and eventually did and died :(

i also tought maybe the3 water was to cold (74f) i would like to try them again they are so cool :)